Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGND3300 won't work as AP

jsvc
Aspirant

DGND3300 won't work as AP

I have an old DGND3300 (from Costco) that I used to use as my main modem when I had DSL long long ago.  I've had cable now for many years but have used this old DSL router as an AP.  Once upon a time it used to work fine, but now it won't and I can't figure out why.  I have reset everything to factory defaults and started fresh, and it just refuses to work properly.  Some more details...

Main router is an ARRIS TG1682G leased from Comcast and providing DHCP to the LAN.  There is also another AP in the kitchen which is a Netgear AC4150 running DD-WRT, that works perfectly.

The DGND3300 is in the master bedroom wired into the LAN.  DHCP is disabled, and I have done everything suggested in https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-set...

I have tried both static and dynamic IP/DNS, and default MAC as well as cloning from the computer.  No change at all.

The result is intermittant - mostly I get a self-assigned IP address on any wifi device connected to that router, but occasionally I get a proper IP and it seems to work (I use a unique SSID for this router while I try to troubleshoot, so I can tell that I'm connected to it or not).

Interestingly, wired devices seem to work just fine.  The TiVo in the bedroom is wired to this router and has never had any trouble connecting to the internet and downloading its data at all.  A PS3 also has no issues getting online wired.

Anyone have any ideas what the trouble might be and how to fix it?  Would really like to have reliable wifi at our bedroom end of the house.

Model: DGND3300v1|N300 Wireless Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem Router|EOL
Message 1 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: DGND3300 won't work as AP

Hello Jsvc

This modem does not have a wan port so it was never intended to be a AP so I do not think there is a solution for this.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 10
jsvc
Aspirant

I'm fairly confident you're mistaken.  For starters, the software (that is explicitly for this specific model of modem) includes a "AP Mode" switch, so is clearly expecting to work as an AP.  Second, it worked as a WAP before just fine, I simply couldn't figure out why it wasn't working any longer.  Third, it works intermittently as a WAP even now.  It will work for a while (minutes, sometimes hours) and then stop working.

So if anyone is using one of these routers as a WAP, I would love to hear ideas on why I see the behavior I do.  I feel like it's possibly some kind of LAN configuration issue elsewhere in my network, but I can't figure out what.

Message 3 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Can you post a screenshot of said "AP Mode" switch?  There is a "Wireless AP" setting documented in the manual but it controls the radio, not whether the router should operate as a WAP.

The old school method should work.  Disable the DHCP server.  Set the LAN IP address in the subnet of your Arris but outside of its DHCP address range.

Message 4 of 10
jsvc
Aspirant

Yes I meant Wireless AP, that's what I've been trying to do the whole time, hence all my talk of SSIDs and explaining that wired devices work just fine but wireless are intermittent.

Once again, the "old school" method works just fine - for wired devices.  And for wireless devices, it works sometimes.  Other times it does not.

Not sure how much more clear I can be...

Message 5 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Well, I was thrown for a loop your OP.  You linked to a KB article that doesn't apply to your model.  I think that threw DarrenM for a loop, too.  Then you mention static and dynamic IP/DNS and default MAC.  That only applies to ADSL port.

It sounds like your devices can connect to the SSID, right?  

Does your main router see DHCP requests coming in from wireless devices connected to the DGND3300?

Did you try changing Wi-Fi channels?  Factory reset?  Is it running the latest firmware?

Message 6 of 10
jsvc
Aspirant

Interesting as I always did wonder how the "Get IP from ISP" feature worked given that I'm not using it as a modem.  I assumed it basically meant "or use DHCP" but maybe it does nothing in my situation.

Soyes my devices do connect to the SSID, but they only sometimes get a proper IP.  I have the latest firmware from the website, which is quite old.  The modem will not check for updates because it only does that over the WAN port apparently.  Last full factory reset was quite a while back, I suppose I could try another just for giggles.  I have changed wifi channels but not methodically testing each and every combination of them.

I have to say though at this precise moment, it seems that the WAP is working fine again - at least I haven't had any trouble getting an IP address in the bedroom anymore and that was always where the trouble was as it's the farthest from athe other radios in the house.  I just love intermittent issues.

Message 7 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Radio interference is a possibility.  A microwave oven, cordless telephone, baby monitor, Bluetooth device or wireless speaker can disrupt Wi-Fi.  A Wi-Fi analyzer program may shed some light on nearby networks as well as the signal strength of your own.

Message 8 of 10
jsvc
Aspirant

Well no baby monitors here, not much in the way of BT either (turn it on when in use and off the rest of the time), of course we do have cordless phones and microwave, but I thought those mostly only disrupted the 2G band and only when in use?  I've been focusing on problems with the 5G.  Anyway good suggestion on the signal srength analyzer, I may have to do just that.

Message 9 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Yeah, most of those sources of interference should only affect 2.4 GHz.  OTOH, 5 GHz has less range than 2.4 GHz, so that is a factor, too.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7