Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700 2.4ghz Connection Prob

sharpshooter96
Aspirant

DGND3700 2.4ghz Connection Prob

I am having a weird problem with my 2.4 ghz wifi signal. Yesterday it was fine and everything has been working fine on the router ever since I did the firmware update to 1.0.0.17 a few weeks ago. Today however my laptop or my smartphone wouldn't connect to the wireless connection. After checking the connections I noticed that my 2.4ghz wifi signal wasn't even showing up for wifi signals avaliable to connect to on my laptop or my phone. So I checked the router and seen that both the green light on the 2.4 was solid and 5ghz blue light was solid so it should be working fine. As far as a wired connection everything works fine and now finally my laptop has recognized the 5ghz signal which I am connected to now but the 2.4 isnt working at all. So my phone, wifi printer and xbox wifi all which are set up for the 2.4ghz signal don't work. I logged into the router manager and as far as i can tell everything looks fine and says everything is up and running. I rebooted the router from there and that didn't fix my problem. I've tried flipping the switch on the back off and turning it back on and that doesn't work either. I called netgear, however, surprise surprise my 90 days of free tech support is expired. So I am hoping somebody on here can help me out with this problem. I can give you any more info to help troubleshoot the problem if more is needed. HELP!!
Message 1 of 32
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I did the firmware update to 1.0.0.17 a few weeks ago.

if you did not hard reset there router , hard reset there router
Message 2 of 32
Scubbie
Apprentice

Sadly I can report that over the Christmas period I experienced something like this too whilst at my friend's.

Should it happen, then all that is required is to simply switch off the router for a brief moment, then power it on again.

Please report the issue to Netgear though.
Message 3 of 32
sharpshooter96
Aspirant

Sorry I haven't gotten back everyone. So how exactly do I go about doing a hard reset on the router?
Message 4 of 32
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

see hard reset on my sig below or download manual at support.netgear.com
Message 5 of 32
Scubbie
Apprentice

Power up the router.

Press and hold the Reset button for around 10 seconds, after which all the LEDs will start changing when you let go.
Message 6 of 32
sharpshooter96
Aspirant

Wow that was easy. And it fixed my problem!!!:D Thanks everyone for you help.
Message 7 of 32
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Sounds good.. Enjoy
Message 8 of 32
sharpshooter96
Aspirant

Spoke too soon:( It worked fine for about a day and now not even doing a hard reset makes it work. The firmware is up to date. I have tried all of the different ways jmizo's hard reset links suggests for actually doing the hard resets (4 ways i think). Ive tried reinstalling the firmware and doing a hard reset like it had never been done before. Also I have even left the factory settings alone to see if my wifi devices see them before I go in and change the SSID, Encryption, and login passwords. Still not having any luck. As always all wired connections work fine and my laptop recognizes the 5ghz wifi connection but all of my other devices that can only connect to the 2.4ghz dont see any signal at all. Any suggestions??:confused:
Message 9 of 32
Scubbie
Apprentice

Download and install inSSIDer to see if the router is actually broadcasting the 2.4GHz signal.

Also check the router's stats.

In the past I have experienced the 5GHz channel not working. Powering off the router or resting it did resolve the issue.

Also check the security levels. Some older devices may only work with WEP. This may be corrected with a firmware update if available.
Message 10 of 32
sharpshooter96
Aspirant

Downloaded inSSIDer. When I run it, it doesn't show my 2.4ghz at all however it does show my 5ghz. It also shows some of my neighbors 2.4ghz signals. As far as the router stats which ones should I check? Everything looks good as far as I can tell. Also the encryption I use is WPA2-PSK not WEP.
Message 11 of 32
sharpshooter96
Aspirant

Update while still running inSSIDer my 2.4ghz signal showed up even though my laptop still doesn't see it. Here are the differences between it and the 5ghz which are: the MAC address is exactly the same except the last 2 digits, of course the SSID is different, the RSSI on the 5ghz is -74 and the 2.4ghz is -56, the channel of the 5ghz is 36+40 the channel of the 2ghz is 1, privacy on 5ghz is RSNA-TKIP and on 2ghz is RSNA-CCMP, max rate on the 5ghz is 300(N) and 2.4 is 144(N) other than that they are both the same.

Another thing i noticed is under the time graph where it shows all the signals the 5ghz line is always there(solid line) varying up and down slightly while the 2.4ghz shows up a little line then goes away then shows up later for a little line and then goes away. I guess if the signal was going on and off like that then that would explain why I cant connect to it BUT WHY is it doing that:confused:
Message 12 of 32
Miglio88
Novice

sharpshooter96 wrote:
Update while still running inSSIDer my 2.4ghz signal showed up even though my laptop still doesn't see it. Here are the differences between it and the 5ghz which are: the MAC address is exactly the same except the last 2 digits, of course the SSID is different, the RSSI on the 5ghz is -74 and the 2.4ghz is -56, the channel of the 5ghz is 36+40 the channel of the 2ghz is 1, privacy on 5ghz is RSNA-TKIP and on 2ghz is RSNA-CCMP, max rate on the 5ghz is 300(N) and 2.4 is 144(N) other than that they are both the same.

Another thing i noticed is under the time graph where it shows all the signals the 5ghz line is always there(solid line) varying up and down slightly while the 2.4ghz shows up a little line then goes away then shows up later for a little line and then goes away. I guess if the signal was going on and off like that then that would explain why I cant connect to it BUT WHY is it doing that:confused:

I know this sounds stupid, but have you upgraded the right version of the firmware? Check if you are using WW (World Wide) of NA (North America) version.
And also check, into the Wireless Configuration, if the Region field is correct.
Message 13 of 32
Miglio88
Novice

sharpshooter96 wrote:

I know this sounds stupid, but have you upgraded the right version of the firmware? Check if you are using WW (World Wide) of NA (North America) version.
And also check, into the Wireless Configuration, if the Region field is correct.
Message 14 of 32
Scubbie
Apprentice

Try setting the 2.4GHz as follows:

When setting it up this way, if I try to change the security to 'WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES)' an error pops up. On it's own 'WPA-PSK(TKIP)' is a little weak and I have just noticed that WEP is no longer an option.

Both my 2.4 & 5 GHz are set up the way shown above. Both report 'RSNA-CCMP' in inSSIDer.

Once changed, power off the router once it has returned, for around 30 seconds.

Note: If you change the security settings on the WiFi you will need to either edit the settings on your laptop or delete & reconnect.
Message 15 of 32
sharpshooter96
Aspirant

Miglio- I have the NA version and my region is set to United States which is correct.
Scubbie- My settings for the 2.4ghz were set exactly like you said already but I changed one of the options and changed it right back so that it would let me re-save the settings. Then I restarted the router with the switch in the back and left it off for 30 sec before turning it back on. Now for some reason my laptop sees the 2.4ghz signal but still wont connect to it. Also inSSIDer sees it under the timeline as a steady line no more dashes like before ( or at least better than before there is a empty spot in the line occasionally). The weird thing tho is even tho I set the router settings just like you said, mode security ect.. inSSIDer still sees the 2.4 with RSNA-CCMP with max rate at 144(N) and the 5ghz with RSNA-TKIP at 300(N).

Why does it still have max rate on 2.4 at 144 instead of 300Mbps like i selected and why does the 5ghz have TKIP instead of the WPA2-PSK (AES) like i selected?

Also I deleted the "remembered" wifi networks in my laptop and reconnected like you said. Once I get it working with the laptop I'll do the same on my phone and xbox.

So what would you guys suggest now?
Message 16 of 32
sharpshooter96
Aspirant

Just for the heck of it I tried my phone and it now sees the 2.4 signal but it goes away as fast as it pops up and never stays on long enough to connect. Also on the laptop it shows the 2.4 signal with full bars but it goes away and comes back out of the list of available networks every few seconds.
Message 17 of 32
Scubbie
Apprentice

There must be something wrong with the 5GHz security settings.:confused: I can only suggest that you go through it all again..

At least the 2.4GHz channel is now showing too.

Whilst your laptop hasn't connected, does anything else now connect?

Also if you have selected the 300Mb/s option, then I am puzzled why it is showing as 144mb/s in inSSIDer for the 2.4GHz WiFi.

Another option might be to save your current settings, reset the router (i.e. press the Reset button for 10 seconds) and then see what is shown.
Message 18 of 32
sharpshooter96
Aspirant

The xbox doesn't see it at all. The phone and the laptop see the signal intermittently and when they do and I try to connect it fails. The signal in inSSIDer is back to being a dashed line again for the 2.4 signal instead of a more solid line like it was an hour or so ago. The 5ghz signal is steady as always. I would say the xbox or phone wont connect to the 5ghz because they don't have (A) capable network cards in them unlike my laptop which has a A/G/N capable card.

I'll try going thru the settings again and hard reseting the router again with everything that could connect to the router off and then start things up one by one starting with the laptop and see how it goes. Don't know what I can do if it doesn't ever work right for me? Could the 2.4ghz radio inside the router be defective? Would that be covered under the manufac 1 year warranty? Maybe I just got a "lemon" router? The lack of a consistent reliable signal is getting frustrating:(
Message 19 of 32
Scubbie
Apprentice

If you can't get it working, then I would definitely recommend that you open a support call with Netgear.

It may be that you need to arrange for a replacement.

My own experiences were short lived, Yours appears to be more consistent with a faulty unit IMHO.
Message 20 of 32
Raffy6250
Novice

Hello,

Same problem as sharpshooter96. I've tried with 1.0.0.12 and 1.0.0.17 firmware.

I bought it just one week ago, worked fine till now.

I will give a call to netgear on monday, we'll see.. but i'm very disappointed.
Message 21 of 32
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Just got this DGND3700 and am having this problem and am running firmware V1.0.0.17_1.0.17NA. I've tried all the reset/re-setup stuff and it has no effect on the problem. I believe I have figured out some additional info that may help if you have a 802.11a/b/g/n capable PC. I've got a support ticket open, it has been escalated and I'm waiting for the next level of support to get back to me.

Here's what I've found on the 2.4GHz network problem. I have 4 wireless devices that are all 802.11b/g and 1 that is 802.11a/b/g/n. If I leave the radio off in the a/b/g/n device the 2.4GHz frequency becomes very unstable. Looking at the 2.4GHz freq with inSSIDer I'll see the 2.4GHz be at -20dBm, drop to -60dBm, drop to -90dBm, jump back up to -20dBm and sometimes it just disappears completely. If I turn the radio on in the a/b/g/n device and connect on the 5GHz freq to the DGND3700 the 2.4GHz stays unstable. If I disconnect from the 5GHz freq and connect to the 2.4GHz freq (this takes a few tries, but eventually I get connected) on the DGND3700 it then becomes stable and solid hovering between -15dBm and -20dBm. Since it connects at speeds way over 54Mbps I presume it's a wireless n connection on the 2.4GHz freq.

If you have the ability to connect a wireless n capable device on the 2.4GHz freq I think this will address the problem until Netgear can figure out why the 2.4GHz radio is unstable with b/g only devices.
Message 22 of 32
theTechman05
Aspirant

If you have G wireless devices put them on their own ssid and the N on the other. At least then your not fighting compatibility between the two.
Message 23 of 32
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I have no problems with compatibility between the devices. I was just saying that when I connect the n device on the 2.4GHz frequency it stabalizes the 2.4GHz radio so all devices will stay connected. Without the n device connected the 2.4GHz radio is unstable, both with signal strength and with the radio staying on. Without the n device connected on the 2.4GHz frequency the DGND3700 radio will not maintain signal strength and also seems to turn off and on by itself.
Message 24 of 32
Scubbie
Apprentice

theTechman05 wrote:
If you have G wireless devices put them on their own ssid and the N on the other. At least then your not fighting compatibility between the two.

Other than being able to change the security settings, I can't see how this would be much help. You can only change the speed on the primary WiFi settings, not on the Guest accounts.

@w3wilkes: I have noticed this phenomenon though on my main Laptop but have ignored it as it hasn't interfered with any performance issues.

Right now I'm running inSSIDer on both of my laptops. The signal on the 2.4GHz channel is fairly constant on the other laptop, with lots of small spikes, but nothing untoward. The connection speed is constant.

On this laptop there are occasional drops on the 2.4GHz channel from around -28dB to -50dB.

I am currently connected to the 5GHz channel on this laptop, the other is connected to the 2.4GHz. Both are using WiFi n adaptors.
Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7