Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700 - DLNA media server in infinite indexing loop

alfakid
Aspirant

DGND3700 - DLNA media server in infinite indexing loop

I need help from this forum, Netgear support couldn't assist with my query because they don't support the media server component and tried to pawn me off to a premium provider who charge support fees.

My problem...
I have upgraded from a DGND3300 to a DGND3700. I've had the DGND3700 (N600) for 2 days, its stock standard, firmware out of the box is V1.0.0.12_1.0.12. I have enabled media server and WD MyBook 1TB HDD is connected. DLNA builds the index in full, but once it finishes it trashes the index and starts rebuilding it from scratch all over again...its been doing this for 2 days (every 1.5 hours) and i've not been able to get it out of this loop. I had DLNA working fine on my old N300 and settings are identical...in fact there is just the one checkbox to enable the media server.

Also my N300 use to store the DLNA index on the HDD and so i could see it indexing because the file size would increase. Does the N600 store the index on its flash memory, as its not visible on the hard drive.

Community help is sought before i return NETGEARS latest device.
Message 1 of 23
alfakid
Aspirant

I've deleted all my MP3 files off the HDD and reindexed the content. Just when i think its all looking good, the bugger purges the index and starts building it again. I don't like this at all, it should only index changed content, not delete the entire thing.

Netgear support are useless and will NOT support anything to do with DNLA, find this a little odd considering DNLA started at Netgear.

Are their others in this community that have this same device and firmware that can report whether i just have a dodgy unit?
Message 2 of 23
alfakid
Aspirant

Update 3.

I swapped my DGND3700 modem this weekend for a new one at JB HiFi. Guess what...the new Modem exhibits the same problem. The problem persists and appears to be related to the Netgear device and not the attached USB devices.

I have tested with two USB devices:

1. WD MyBook 1TB
2. Lexar Flash Stick 4GB

The index is trashed/erased by the Netgear device and rebuilt again at random, meaning i cannot have the media server running as i would expect.

I have given up calling netgear support and instead logged a support online.

This MUST be a BUG with the device firmware...my DGND3300 had no issues operating as a media server.
Message 3 of 23
dataghost
Aspirant

Isnt there an option on the internal page under USB that allows you to change this? Im sure I saw it whilst looking at the router pages last night.

Something like 'check for file changes every __' and 'manually check for file changes'.

Something like that.
Message 4 of 23
alfakid
Aspirant

Thanks. There are only two options for indexing content when media server is enabled, these are...

1. Automatic (when new files added)
2. Scheduled Scan in XX minutes

By default i use automatic. A true index should only index content changes e.g. deleted files, new files, renamed files or folders.

My support call is now with an Netgear engineer and i have provided them a backup of my modem settings.
Message 5 of 23
columt
Aspirant

I’m having similar issues. The router & USB HDD work fine until I turn on DLNA/media server. Then the router can’t seem to build a successful index of the content, whether indexing is set to automatic (in which case the indexing never stops, and router may randomly reboot), or scheduled. My media players see the media server constantly pulsing on/off… Browsing these forums seems to indicating possible reasons for this problem being confusion of the indexing process due to incorrect media file headers (similar to http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=58198) or either duplicate media files/headers. Let’s hope Netgear is on the case and have a firmware update in the works…
Message 6 of 23
Strider08
Novice

alfakid wrote:
Thanks. There are only two options for indexing content when media server is enabled, these are...

1. Automatic (when new files added)
2. Scheduled Scan in XX minutes

By default i use automatic. A true index should only index content changes e.g. deleted files, new files, renamed files or folders.

My support call is now with an Netgear engineer and i have provided them a backup of my modem settings.

It will be better if you choose the number 2 option and check if it will still do the same thing.
Message 7 of 23
dataghost
Aspirant

Guys I have mentioned in other threads that the automatic scan option seems to just constantly index the drive (hence how it spots when new files have been added as quickly as possible).

The only way I have found to stop the indexing is by setting it to scheduled scan (I have it currently set to do an indexing every 48 hours).

IF I have added a file to it and want my PS3 to see it straight away I simply click the 'scan now' button on the routers internal page which causes it to re-create the index there and then.

Alfakid I dont think there is any problem with the router, I think that its designed to do it in this way. Hopefully a future firmware will revise the way it does this as the current method is very poor.
Message 8 of 23
Ryster
Tutor

The issue isn't that it is constantly indexing, it's the fact that it deletes the index and re-indexes everything from scratch constantly.

What it should be doing is scanning for changes instead, then indexing only changed or added items, appending those to the existing index.

Come on Netgear, fix your mess with a firmware update please.
Message 9 of 23
dataghost
Aspirant

Ryster wrote:
The issue isn't that it is constantly indexing, it's the fact that it deletes the index and re-indexes everything from scratch constantly.

That's my point. It seems that this is how this particular router/firmware is designed to do it.

Index the drive.....done.
*user adds a new file*

And this is how the new files are noticed and added to the index.
Message 10 of 23
alfakid
Aspirant

The problem is related only to this particular model in my opinion.

I upgraded from the DGND3300 router, which with a firmware update added the DLNA media server feature. This worked brilliantly, HDD content changes were incremented and never did the media server trash the index and rebuild from the start.

My support case is with Netgear. Annoyingly the closed it today and i've just emailed them to reopen the case as its not resolved nor did they respond to me with the problem after i provided my backup settings etc.
Message 11 of 23
Scubbie
Apprentice

Can I ask, roughly how many MP3s do you have on your drive?

I have noticed that the indexing doesn't show all my folders if I access via a DLNA enabled TV.

I am wondering if the DGND3700 is limited to a specific amount of files.
Message 12 of 23
hemmi
Novice

Hi guys,
I was having the same issue. I did as dataghost suggested, selected option 2 - scan in x-hrs and did a manual scan.
This seems to have worked and I can now stream everything on my hard drive to computers and PS3.
Message 13 of 23
shano
Aspirant

I just made a new thread regarding this. I am having the same troubles as well. Alfakid, did you end up finding a solution to the problem?? If so do you mind sharing it with me, as am at a loss as what is going on. I have just changed my content scan to 1440mins (24hrs), and I have my fingers crossed that it will work:confused:
Message 14 of 23
Hagster1969
Aspirant

shano wrote:
I just made a new thread regarding this.

Where is the new thread ? please,

I just pluged a USB drive in to see if it did this constant indexing, and im asahmed to say, how can I tell?

Where can I see if the index is built, does not show up on mthe logs, no hard drive light running.

It is turned on and working because I can see it on my network and stream from it to my TV or PC.

I just cant find out how to see when it is building its index?

Regards guy
Message 15 of 23
malbry
Aspirant

I don't believe the Content Scan: Automatic option works correctly. I had been having indexing problems and so I was experimenting with different time settings for Scheduled Scan as an alternative. I set the Scheduled Scan to 0 mins, and the server would constantly re-index - perhaps not surprising. This could be seen clearly when connecting to ReadyDLNA from a networked device: the server would drop out every couple of seconds. I could see this 'dropping out' of the ReadyDLNA server from several networked devices.

But when I reset to Automatic Scan, this distinctive behaviour would continue: the server would drop out every couple of seconds. That made me suspicious, but also helped explain why I had problems in the first place. Originally, I had the default of Automatic Scan with Scheduled Scan (not selected) set to 60 mins. When the scan takes place, the whole index is rebuilt (not sure if this is how it *should* work, but that's what appears to happen). When accessing ReadyDLNA from a networked device, I'd sometimes see a partial index file - which was confusing when the media server was set to Automatic Scan and I hadn't added any recent files. Since I now believe that the Automatic Scan option doesn't work, I think the media server was re-scanning every 60 mins (the default for Scheduled Scan) and hence, depending on exactly when in that indexing cycle I connected, I would get a partial index.

Anyway, I have now changed the setting to Scheduled Scan at 999999 mins. When I add new media (not too often) I will manually choose the Scan Now option. This should avoid the 'partial index' problem because I will fully control the process.

Hope this makes sense to anyone else who has been experiencing problems.

Best regards,
Malcolm
Message 16 of 23
Scubbie
Apprentice

Some questions for you Malcolm:

Which firmware are you now using?

What is it that you have connected? i.e. capacity, drive/USB stick, powered off router or own power

What type of content & roughly how many files is on the item?

I have set mine to rescan every 3 days (4320 minutes). The scan on mine takes approximately 4-5 hours and I have over 600GB of content on the drive. Most of it is music, but there are some music videos and a few other large files.

Whilst the drive is scanning the old DLNA database is wiped and a new one is built, so if I were to set mine to 60 minutes, it would never be usable.
Message 17 of 23
malbry
Aspirant

Hi Scubbie,

I'm using version 17; haven't tried the test version 19 yet. I have a 320gb USB drive connected, powered from the 3700's USB port. The content is about 20gb of music files in 570 folders.

The situation is a bit more confusing than I thought. After ripping new albums to the connected drive, subsequently using the Scan Now option doesn't do anything. I can tell because the LED light doesn't flash and the new files aren't added to the index. This is despite repeated attempts. It *might* be because the drive is connected to one of my networked devices somewhere in the house, and this is somehow preventing the Scan Now function from working. What is for certain is that if I remove the USB drive from the 3700's port, then reconnect, this kicks off the re-indexing.

Best regards,
Malcolm
Message 18 of 23
Scubbie
Apprentice

There are only certain file types recognised by the DLNA Server. It could well be that your ripped files are all the wrong type.

FLAC is not recognised. Some MP3s have problems too.

Could I suggest that you ripe one CD again, but at a different bit rate, and see what happens?

It also takes a little while to scan the drive completely, but if you were to give it half an hour, you should be able to find some of the contents. i have some at 320kbps that work fine.
Message 19 of 23
malbry
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Scubbie. Actually, there's no problem with the DLNA Server recognising the file types. The USB drive is indexed just fine when I detach from the 3700's port and then re-attach. I can see the led flashing and the index file gradually being rebuilt. When complete, all the expected files are available through the DLNA Server.

What's still a mystery is that when I add new music files to the USB drive and then hit the Scan Now button within the Media Server section ... nothing happens. This is with Scheduled Scan set to 999999 mins (effectively never!). Also, if I go back to Automatic Scan ... nothing happens.

I still need to run some more tests to get to the bottom of what's happening. For example, I have a network music player which connects to the DLNA Server. I'm wondering whether the re-indexing is inhibited when this connection is active. I don't see why this *should* make a difference, but I think I need to go through a process of elimination to figure this out.

Best regards,
Malcolm
Message 20 of 23
LUCCA777
Novice

i have the same issue im try n to stream to my ps3 i look at the usb on my ps3 and there will be 8 movies (i have over 1000) i disconect the reconect my ps3 and ill see 40 any way it takes over 2 3 hours to find everything then when its all loaded ill play a movie and 10 mninutes into the movie ill get disconected from the media server and it starts again i also get dlna errors i have disabled the media device and installed ps3 media server fines every thing quick but lags when streaming i have tested on .19 beta 1 2 and 3 with no luck i dont no if netgear will fix this problem but i hope they do im try n the method used above for setting the content scan to 999999. i think i have to buy a media server. if any one can help please do!
Message 21 of 23
Smorn82
Aspirant

Same issue here, DGND3700, two DLNA enabled devices which are PS3 and a Sony Home Theatre System. Contents starts coming up on my TV and it takes ages for it to be available, aroung 700 GB. Started playing a song, stopped and all contents wasn't visible anymore... started adding them suddenly again, I belivee that is teh indexing issue everyone is talking about. Is there an option to avoid that it will rescann everything and it is kepot manual? Not sure where the point is to rescann and rebuilt the whole Index, maybe for a 8 MB USB drive it isn't an issue but for 700 GB it is, Takes ages to have it all up again.
Message 22 of 23
Scubbie
Apprentice

I found no end of issues when I had a drive attached to my DGND3700. The contents of the drive included over 500GB of MP3s and several music videos too.

Basically the DGND3700 cannot cope with a large DLNA database and I would not recommend it to be used as such.

As a source of shared files on your home network or through your Internet connection, it is useful.

I would strongly recommend that you use a dedicated NAS drive. There are a variety of different ones available with different abilities and additional software available. I have a pair of Netgear ReadyNAS units and am happy with what they offer.

Whilst expensive, you can use 3TB drives in the Netgear ReadyNAS units using the latest firmware. The response time is far better than that of the DGND3700. I was hammering my LAN at full pelt when setting up the 2nd NAS the other week, something that you could never do with an external drive attached to the DGND3700.
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7