Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700 + PlusNet Fiber Optic Extra = smiley face

BitStream
Aspirant

DGND3700 + PlusNet Fiber Optic Extra = smiley face

Today a great BT engineer installed my fibre optic upgrade and it went very well I am with PlusNet in the UK and felt this was a huge leap of faith considering I wanted to use my DGND3700 router. He installed the FTTC Fibre router and we plugged my DGND3700 in and........noooooooo nothing. Deep breath, ran the setup wizard, rebooted router and woot it all kicked into life.

I've been running test 2 firmware in this router for a while now without a single dropped connection on my previous ADSL service but I was still apprehensive that this would work as described on a fibre network. First speed tests show 35/2 mb connection on my 40/2 mb setup which is a great improvement over my 5.5MB dsl!

I'll keep an eye on the connection and performance and keep this thread updated on the stability.
Message 1 of 18
theTechman05
Aspirant

Just keep me in mind if you find a router for a complete replacement. My ISP charges for modem rental and I had to go through unpleasentries to get them to take mine back.
Message 2 of 18
Scubbie
Apprentice

PlusNet allows you to use any router.

What I would be interested to know is if you can see the connection speed in the router's stats page please. Also do you see the Internet IP address or 192.168.1.x?

Sky are in the process of rolling out their first fibre product at the moment and they are using the same BTO Modem as you will have.
Message 3 of 18
BitStream
Aspirant

No the connection speed does not show what is a PITA however I do see my IP address.
Message 4 of 18
Scubbie
Apprentice

Thank you for that.

Those are similar results to what I got when I used mine via the WAN Ethernet port on the Sky router, but I didn't expect to get the connection stats when I did that. The IP address I got was the one given from the Sky router, not the Internet IP address.

I guess I now need to wait for someone to confirm whether any Cable router can connect to Sky's new Fibre product.

(for anyone reading this, at the moment Sky are only calling those who pre-registered for Sky Fibre. The product launches in April)
Message 5 of 18
BitStream
Aspirant

I must admit I'm not used to not being able to see my connection speed and stats and find it a little unnerving. All I have to go on are speed test results and general throughput rates when downloading to extrapolate an approximate connection speed. so far 35mb seems consistent but I'll have no idea if the fibre connection goes down and restarts as all I can see is the wan connection time.
Message 6 of 18
Scubbie
Apprentice

Do make use of the Traffic Meter feature on the DGND3700. PlusNet has a usage cap, but if I recall correctly, it is unlimited between midnight and 8am.

As for getting your connection speed, I have two suggestions for you:

Message 7 of 18
    BitStream
    Aspirant

Yes I have a 120GB per month usage allowance and usage between midnight and 8am are not counted towards that as you say. I will certainly raise it with Netgear tech support. I communicate with them at least weekly over this router 🙂 Interesting on the hacks, I'll look into that.
    Message 8 of 18
    Scubbie
    Apprentice

One thing that you should be aware of that I forgot to mention:

The Traffic meter does not allow you to ignore traffic between stated times. So if you do anything during midnight & 8am, it will show on the DGND3700, but not on PlusNet's usage meter.

I have previously raised this with Netgear (quite early on in fact), but it would be worth you while raising it again.
    Message 9 of 18
    BitStream
    Aspirant

Thanks that's something I raised with Netgear support a long time ago. I use PlusNet's portal to view my usage and i also have software on my iPad2 and iPhone4 that does the same as well.
    Message 10 of 18
    keith_thfc
    Tutor

Hi Bitstream

Have you tried using the DGDN3700 direct, and so bypassing the BT modem?

This is why I bought this device, so that when eventually enabled for Fibre I could use just the one device.

Glad its working for you anyway. Keep us posted if you get any disconnections or other issues.
    Message 11 of 18
    Scubbie
    Apprentice

keith_thfc wrote:
    Have you tried using the DGDN3700 direct, and so bypassing the BT modem?

This is why I bought this device, so that when eventually enabled for Fibre I could use just the one device.

This won't work.

The Modem on the DGND3700 is for ADSL, not vDSL.

Everyone connecting to BTO's FTTC lines needs to use the BTO Modem.
    Message 12 of 18
    keith_thfc
    Tutor

Scubbie wrote:
    This won't work.

The Modem on the DGND3700 is for ADSL, not vDSL.

Everyone connecting to BTO's FTTC lines needs to use the BTO Modem.

Hi Scubbie,

Must admit I am slightly baffled now as I believed at the time of purchase that the modem on this device was vDSL:

"A modified version of its WNDR3700, to include VDSL capability, the DGND3700 is currently the papa bear of Netgear's ADSL modem/router range"

http://www.zdnet.com.au/netgear-dgnd3700-339322776.htm

My understanding before buying this was that you can use a single device to avoid the BTo vDSL modem. I asked this question on the thinkbroadband forums before my purchase & did a little googling to check/confirm this.

However I just realised that "VDSL support was removed" from the DGND3700 firmware version 1.0.0.12 - does this mean it will no longer operate as an all in one device as I had originally assumed it would? And if so, do you know why this support was removed?

Another device I was considering at the time was the Billion router below:

"The Billion BiAPC 8200N is a VDSL2 modem/ router which can provides a single box solution for FTTC instead of the two box solution"

"You simply need to connect the telephone cable (RJ-11) to the 8200N instead of your Openreach box and then configure the PPPoE username and password and you can share and enjoy always on Internet connection to multiple computers or wireless devices"

http://billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/292/0/will-my-existing-billion-...

So should I have bought the Billion device after all? As it seems I was misled by Netgear into thinking they both had the same vDSL capability.
    Message 13 of 18
    Scubbie
    Apprentice

I have just double checked the manual.

On page 8 it clearly states:

All-in-one. Built-in ADSL2+ modem and WAN Gigabit Ethernet port for cable/fiber combined with a wireless router create the ultimate integrated home gateway.

With regards to replacing the BTO Modem though, there is a good technical reason why this should be avoided. Currently on my ADSL line, BTO's responsibility extends from the telephone exchange to my Test Socket. Anything after that point is my responsibility.

With a Fibre connection, the responsibility extends to the Mode, including their Filtered Faceplate and the cable that connects the Modem to the faceplate.

The Ethernet WAN port has always been there to connect to a Cable router, however I did find over the Christmas period that I could not connect to a Virgin Cable Modem. I haven't read on this forum about anyone having any success and I don't visit the Virgin forums to check things through. I only had a couple of opportunities to test this, so could have missed something.

There are some specific feature that do not work with the Cable connection and I did ask about this with Netgear, but nothing has come back on them yet. They included the connection stats and Connection Time details in the Traffic Meter.

Looking at the options on the Netgear WGR614 that was being used on the Virgin Cable connection, there were several missing from the DGND3700.
    Message 14 of 18
    keith_thfc
    Tutor

Well given that BT keep delaying my Fibre roll-out I guess its not such a big issue for me if this DGND3700 doesn't work as an all-in-one.

I'm annoyed that I was misled into thinking it was but its not a life or death issue - given this problems with this router I'll just be amazed it if works at all. :eek:

My next BT activation date is supposed to be 31st March but I live in a big block of flats so not sure if any special permissions would need to be granted beforehand.

Looks like I might have SKY Fibre available by the time it gets installed so that might become my preferred choice as I already have SKY tv. I heard the service is unlimited but not sure about their traffic shaping. Ideal situation would be for my current ISP to give us a Fibre option (be*) as I love them to bits but I hear its all in the hands of O2/Telefonica now.
    Message 15 of 18
    Scubbie
    Apprentice

keith_thfc wrote:
    My next BT activation date is supposed to be 31st March but I live in a big block of flats so not sure if any special permissions would need to be granted beforehand.

Currently BTO are only using FTTC via the existing copper wire from your green street cabinet to your home. An alternative option that would work well in large blocks of flats is to run an Ethernet cable. BTO are currently not using this.

Therefore any permissions will be purely to do with the local council granting planning permission to place a new street cabinet that can house the FTTC hardware.

keith_thfc wrote:
    Looks like I might have SKY Fibre available by the time it gets installed so that might become my preferred choice as I already have SKY tv. I heard the service is unlimited but not sure about their traffic shaping. Ideal situation would be for my current ISP to give us a Fibre option (be*) as I love them to bits but I hear its all in the hands of O2/Telefonica now.

I still can't confirm whether the DGND3700 will connect on Sky's FTTC product. so far no one has reported using a non-Sky router on their connection.

Sky are supplying the Sagem 2504N with a revised firmware that supports a Cable connection through one of it's 4 Ethernet ports. It reports the connection speeds and Sky's MER connection. 😞
    Message 16 of 18
    keith_thfc
    Tutor

Well hopefully the SKY Fibre service will be rolled out nationwide soon as BT Infinity have no competition at the moment and can charge what they like.
    Message 17 of 18
    Scubbie
    Apprentice

keith_thfc wrote:
    Well hopefully the SKY Fibre service will be rolled out nationwide soon as BT Infinity have no competition at the moment and can charge what they like.

Sky are launching Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre in April this year, just in time hopefully for your exchange to go on-line.

There are quite a few people on the other forum I frequent who have now been connected under Sky's trial in the last week or so, with more confirming phone calls from sky offering the chance to sign up.

Currently you do need to have Sky TV as well, but I am waiting confirmation on this for the long term from Sky. You would also need to sign up to Sky Talk and pay Sky's line rental too. This policy came in last September.

The cost of just the BB package is £20. Whether Sky will charge a little more, as they do with their ADSL Unlimited product, if you don't have their TV package is as yet unknown. Installation times varies across the country and will depend on the local situation.

If you want to read up more, please follow the threads here: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-fibre-help/
    Message 18 of 18
    Top Contributors
    Discussion stats
    • 17 replies
    • 0 kudos
    • 4 in conversation
    Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7