I made this post:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=77185

but as yet had no answer:confused:
Message 1 of 8
Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: DGND3700 Question(s)

Which router do you actually have?

The WNDR3700 and DGND3700 are different beasts with different firmware and different issues.

Sorry buy your previous post was in the wrong section and a response has been made advising you to post in this section, provided that you have the WNDR3700. It would help to post from fresh the whole question and ensure that you reference the correct router.
Message 2 of 8
mysteryshopper
Aspirant

Hopefully I will be a new (returning) customer.

It is the ADSL version that I am interested in, however in the first instance I'd like to use it as a router with my old setup.

Is this possible?

Thank you
Message 3 of 8
Scubbie
Apprentice

Ok, I'll keep my answers brief as this is the wrong section.

Please do look at the dedicated section for the DGND3700: http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115

Feel free to post any further questions there.

As with all current routers designed for the home market, at least to the best of my knowledge, you can easily expand the number of available Ethernet ports by adding a Network Switch. These are currently sold in two varieties (10/100mb & 10/100mb/1Gbit ports) and with different quantities of ports available. Typically most people purchase the 5-Port switch, but the 8-port Switch is also a good choice if you need the extra capacity.

Netgear typically uses either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 for the router address. The respective ranges would then be 192.168.0.nnn or 192.168.1.nnn. The LAN IP Address range of the router can easily be changed from the default setup to match you own if this is what you desire. Details are in the manual.

Netgear has recently released the DGND3700v2. Whilst it is early days, I would suggest that this would be the one to aim for having had a poor experience with the first edition. You can read more in the section of this forum for the DGND3700.

I have used the DGND3700 as both an ADSL router (mostly with Sky Broadband, but also briefly with O2 Broadband) and effectively as a Cable router. With the v1 many of the Cable router requirements were removed. I don't know how well the v2 compares.

I hope that this helps.
Message 4 of 8
mysteryshopper
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
I have used the DGND3700 as both an ADSL router (mostly with Sky Broadband, but also briefly with O2 Broadband) and effectively as a Cable router. With the v1 many of the Cable router requirements were removed. I don't know how well the v2 compares.

I hope that this helps.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

This is what I'm talking about but in relation to the system I already have.

In other words can I simply plug it in and use it as if it was a router until someone more qualified can do it properly.

I was thinking (and still am) of the DGN1000 and in that respective manual it says to remove all previous equipment however I'm not so game even using Genie so that's why I'm considering the DGND3700 rather than the WNDR3700 since there are 3800 and now 4000/4500 models as well.

Unfortunately for myself as a customer notwithstanding having to know the difference between models, there are also versions and I don't wish to come back to complain but rather be a satisfied customer.

On a side note, has anyone noticed how difficult it is to actually obtain a manual if you have a slow net connection?

Is this deliberate on Netgear' part?
Message 5 of 8
Scubbie
Apprentice

Perhaps it might be a good idea for you to discuss your needs with someone in real life. Show them what you currently have and discuss with them what you intend to do in the future.

There are many different solutions. In the past couple of years I have been playing around with different routers and ways of linking things together and I have barely touched the surface.
Message 6 of 8
mysteryshopper
Aspirant

I will seek a discussion with a tech friend offline but one thing I will say is, although it was a right pain getting all the manuals to read and compare, they were (handbuchs) very well written.

Another thing I totally dig about netgear is their approach to updating of the firmware, i.e. that it is automatic but I really would like something to be done about "silent" equipment upgrades.
Message 7 of 8
Scubbie
Apprentice

I wish you all the best and I trust that the friend can help you better to identify your short and long-term needs.

In the mean time compose a list of what kinds of things that you do with your home network and the Internet. It may help to draw up a rough diagram of your correct set up to show what is connected and how and note what things you may get later.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7