Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700 USB Share issues

Otter1
Novice

DGND3700 USB Share issues

Firmware 1.0.0.17
I have only tried WAN access because that's what I'm trying to achieve.

I have tried a couple of USB devices in the back of the router. Both seem to work just fine if I allow anyone to read or write, but if I set read access to "All - no password" and write access to "admin" and try to read the files I get asked for a password even though I'm not trying to write.

OK, so maybe another way is to put a locked SD card in and allow read write access? Because writes won't work with a locked SD card.. good work-around huh?
Wrong. When I put the locked card in the router it won't see it. When I unlock the card it works fine.

Any ideas how to get around this?
Message 1 of 14
theTechman05
Aspirant

My luck is it probably keeps the index file on the plugged in drive. After it was unlocked did locking it make it work again?

Is there an anonymous user feature for this device. I think my Readynas duo does the same thing since I set users to it. If this was a readynas device I'd say set a witeable user and then set up a known username and password to let users read (Icanread Pass 1234) just at least that way you can secure it even if that's not needed.
Message 2 of 14
Otter1
Novice

theTechman05 wrote:
My luck is it probably keeps the index file on the plugged in drive. After it was unlocked did locking it make it work again?

No

theTechman05 wrote:

Is there an anonymous user feature for this device. I think my Readynas duo does the same thing since I set users to it. If this was a readynas device I'd say set a witeable user and then set up a known username and password to let users read (Icanread Pass 1234) just at least that way you can secure it even if that's not needed.

Unfortunately it's either "Anonymous - no password", or admin with the router's admin password. It's not possible to set up another user.
Message 3 of 14
Otter1
Novice

Could anyone else test this to see if it's just me? How about someone on the 1.0.0.19 beta too?
Message 4 of 14
Otter1
Novice

Can no-one help? Netgear support seemed clueless. Failing that, does anyone know of a dual band, gigabit router with storage capability that actually works? Even better if it can properly host a small ftp server and run bittorrent software 🙂
Message 5 of 14
theTechman05
Aspirant

How clueless? Did they tell you the same conclusion you came to with the 2 options of password or not?

It may not be the best fit but you could always go to the readynas forums and see if they have some more ideas to play with before they send you back here.

The only big though is to set up 2 volumes , one that you want to keep protected (with backup of user viewable files) and one without a password and go on the faith principle and hope the people your sharing with don't mess with your stuff (depending if its word files you can always make read only)

Any further and you'd need a Nas(several out there including Netgear brands).

Unfortunately I haven't had experience outside of D-link and Netgear (unless immediate return of a Belkin counts) . Which ever works though I'm sure they are similar, but there are several cloud sites to which you can set settings for users and let them view and edit(if you choose) for specific users. Hardware-wise you may want to check ebay for a few old v1 readynas duos to experiment with since you can add about 20,000 users if you so choose to:D.

Wish you luck,

Techman
Message 6 of 14
Otter1
Novice

I did properly describe the issue, but support first asked me to ring them on an 084x or 087x number. I asked how much the cost is per minute and whether they were unable to provide email support.

I then got an email back which didn't tell me the call charges, but asked whether the drive I used was on the compatibility list. That's when I gave up.

I would say it's pretty obvious that's not the issue when the drive works for read write when the admin password is used, or not used, and had stated that in my email.

I had a follow up email asking about my support experience which I answered appropriately.

Thanks for your suggestions. Maybe I should tinker with a Raspberry pi.
Message 7 of 14
Otter1
Novice

As far as allowing anonymous read/write access from the Internet, I have logged lots of port scans in the past, and when I had a small ftp server running I even had someone try to hack into it.

I would worry that if I set it up to allow reads/writes with no password, that someone might use it for distribution of copyright infringing, distasteful or illegal material.
Message 8 of 14
theTechman05
Aspirant

They can do that without being able to write to your materials. Aren't you doing this locally or did I miss something.

You could always try using dropbox's public folder then you can have your files viewable in the way you want them you still have the issue of all seeing your files.

Your going to end up setting up passwords if your worried of squatters using your storage space or borrowing ideas. You just may have to request a feature or see if you have a low voltage pc that you can set up as a server.
Message 9 of 14
Scubbie
Apprentice

To be honest I would not even contemplate using the DGND3700 as a NAS drive source if you are considering running a secure file server that you can share with others.

As you are already aware, there is only one password that you can set, and this is the admin log in password, which is copied to the USB if you password protect them too. I would not encourage anyone to share this with everyone else.

As for running Torrents from the DGND3700, forget it.

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus that can be accessed via a password protected interface. It could also host a Torrent Interface (I actually prefer not to run torrents on mine).

Having resolved an issue with port forwarding recently, the drive can also be accessed by myself or a friend away from my home network. As for which size drives to put in the unit, you can currently have anything up to 3TB, which requires the latest firmware.

The NAS drive can also share any music, video or picture content for a DLNA device.

P.S. I actually have a dedicated PC dealing with my torrents. They are downloaded to a separate drive to the O/S as periodically I have found that it is necessary to reformat it to regain lost capacity. Once a torrent has completed the download process, I can copy the file/s to my NAS drive, or wherever else I wish to have it.
Message 10 of 14
Otter1
Novice

Thanks guys for your replies.

All I'm trying to do is share a few scanned documents on a forum without having to give anyone the router admin password or giving the world write access.

Is doesn't have to be secure, there's nothing dodgy. I don't need anyone to have write access.

Anything other than the features Netgear claim would be a bonus, but when you specify that anyone can have read access without a password, it should allow them read access without a password. It doesn't, not unless you also give them write access - which is poor.

I do have "proper" ftp server software on a PC which I sometimes fire up for special occasions, but if I can source a modem router that actually does what Netgear claims this one can do, other features would be a bonus.
Message 11 of 14
Scubbie
Apprentice

You may wish to consider some such as 'Dropbox' instead. You can share individual files in a 'Public Folder' by posting a link to the specific files.

Here is an example of a batch file in my public dropbox folder:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30557457/EnableTelnet/Telon.bat

The advantage is that if anyone downloads the file, it does not interfere with my connection.
Message 12 of 14
Otter1
Novice

Thank you for your reply. I guess the bandwidth for the free service could ne used fairly quickly with scanned documents, and I have unlimited (truly unlimited) uploads with my ISP, Zen.

Is there any way to persuade Netgear to alter their firmware so the product behaves as advertised?

There were three things that persuaded me to buy this router, 1 Dual band, 2 Gigabit Ethernet, 3 USB share.

For me 33% of it doesn't work. No other complaints with it, but this is a biggie for me.
Message 13 of 14
Scubbie
Apprentice

You could provide a link via the HTTPS connection to any files.

For me it has nothing to do with my monthly bandwidth allowance, it would purely be down to others using my upload connection whilst I am doing other things.

If 10 people happen to be downloading documents from my external USB whilst I am trying to browse the Internet, then I will be unable to do so very easily until they have finished.

However, by using a service such as Dropbox (there are others) I can share a link to the specific file until such time as I remove it from my Dropbox Public folder. Sites like Flickr are great for photos, but there are not so many for other files, hence my example above of a batch file.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7