Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700 V1 & ReadyNAS

Morelli
Aspirant

DGND3700 V1 & ReadyNAS

I appreciate that this may not be the correct forum to ask the question but here goes.
I am thinking of replacing the HDD attached to the DGDN3700 V1 with a NAS, specifically the NetGear ReadyNAS Duo V2. I have an existing pair of Segate drives which I had intended to use. However on checking the Netgear site for compatible drives no mention is made of the ST3000528AS. Does this imply that the drives would not function or is it that Netgear may not have tested that model?
Any thoughts appreciated.
Morelli
Message 1 of 7
Scubbie
Apprentice

I was trying to look for the specifications for the drive you are looking at.

Essentially you need to ensure that it is suitable for a NAS. Drive manufacturers tend to make drives for different environments now, such as PC, Laptop, PVR, NAS, CCTV and so on.

I use the WD EZRX range in mine. They have proved to be very reliable. Check out the WD site for the latest information though.
Message 2 of 7
Morelli
Aspirant

Hi Scubbie
Thanks for getting back.
I have checked the Seagate site but, as you imply, there's no record of a ST31000528AS. Anyhow I've checked using Seagate's Drive Detect and it shows the two drives:-
Model: ST31000528AS, Serial: 9VPBV2K7, Firmware: CC46
Model: ST31000528AS, Serial: 9VPBWCWL, Firmware: CC46
So I guess the question now is what were these designed for. Have to admit my experience of Segate is poor - two failed under a year old and within 6 months of each other.
Regards
Morelli
Message 3 of 7
Scubbie
Apprentice

If your experience has been poor with these models, then the last thing you should consider is to place them in the NAS.

You have two choices on how to set up the Duo in a RAID setup. The first would mean that you will see just one drive with the total capacity of both drives, the second would be to see one drive only, with the other acting as a mirror.

It would only be the second which would give you any safety of backup. If you use the first, so that you get the total capacity of both, and either drive should fail, you could lose all your data.
Message 4 of 7
Morelli
Aspirant

Hi Scubbie,
Just an update. I have set up the NAS with an approved Red WD, and one of my old Segate, JBOD. Shares set up for ‘critical’ files etc being copied over to the forma with the Segate holding torrents. Have always used uTorrent but didn’t realise the capability of running Transmission directly from the NAS.
One downside is the tranfer speed across the LAN, I use PowerPlugs rated at 200mb !!! Lucky if the transfer from the PC to the NAS tops 4mb/sec. Or as I measure it 10 minutes for a 3GB file.
Regards
Morelli
Message 5 of 7
Morelli
Aspirant

Hi Scubbie,
Just an update. I have set up the NAS with an approved Red WD, and one of my old Segate, JBOD. Shares set up for ‘critical’ files etc being copied over to the forma with the Segate holding torrents. Have always used uTorrent but didn’t realise the capability of running Transmission directly from the NAS.
One downside is the tranfer speed across the LAN, I use PowerPlugs rated at 200mb !!! Lucky if the transfer from the PC to the NAS tops 4mb/sec. Or as I measure it 10 minutes for a 3GB file.
Regards
Morelli
Message 6 of 7
Scubbie
Apprentice

The throughput between a pair of HomePlugs can be affected by a number of things, including switch mode power supplies, poor wiring and some much more.

I tend to advise against HomePlugs now when fast traffic is required. Even a pair of 500mbps HomePlugs will struggle in some conditions to give you 40mb/s.

Consider running a Cat 5e cable behind the wall or something like that. You can get faceplates for the wall to tidy up the Ethernet connections at each end. With a short Ethernet cable plugged into each socket and provided that the total distance isn't more than 100m or 330ft, all should be fine.

(Cat 5e will support speeds of up to 1Gbit. You may wish to consider shielded cable if the path runs close to any electrical wiring. When using shielded cable ensure both ends are earthed)
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7