Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700 Wireless On/Off button, does it work?

Nysander
Aspirant

DGND3700 Wireless On/Off button, does it work?

Hi all,

I purchased this device, because my previous one was quite old, and the Wireless On/Off button feature.

I have tried pressing this button but it does not seem to have any effect. The only way to turn the wireless radio's on/off seems to be from the Netgear Smart Wizard access. :confused:

I prefer to only turn on the wireless features when I need them, but spinning up a PC to turn them on is a drag. Until I can make this bit work I will be running wireless via my Time Capsule, which I can unplug from the wall without disturbing internet access on my wired network. 😉

Otherwise this product is great, my ADSL connection seems faster and more responsive. 😄

Any thoughts?
Message 1 of 17
Joe_
Apprentice

If it is that you were just pressing momentarily and releasing it, try holding the button in for a longer period of time, say ~10 seconds.

If this still doesn't work, I would suggest you open a case at my.netgear.com .
Message 2 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Turn Off Wireless Connectivity
You can completely turn off the wireless connectivity of the wireless modem router by pressing the Wireless On/Off button on its front panel  . For example, if you use your notebook computer to wirelessly connect to your wireless modem router and you take a business trip, you can turn off the wireless portion of the modem router while you are traveling. Other members of your household who use computers connected to the wireless modem router through Ethernet cables can still use the wireless modem router.

should simple as on/off

contact support for an issues or I would get exchange if you purchase locally.
Message 3 of 17
Campotech
Aspirant

The wireless on/off button on the front panel needs to be held for 5 seconds in order switch on/off the wireless functionality.

After releasing the button it takes another 5-10 seconds for the wireless to turn on/off.
Message 4 of 17
Nysander
Aspirant

That is confirmed. It does require a 5+ second press to activate, and then takes a few more for the action to complete (on or off).

I was not able to find an entry in the manual regards the length of time you have to hold the button. Being a relative novice, I would have thought that pushing the button briefly would have been sufficient.

Anyway, thanks for the help all. 🙂
Message 5 of 17
Joe_
Apprentice

Nysander wrote:
That is confirmed. It does require a 5+ second press to activate, and then takes a few more for the action to complete (on or off).

I was not able to find an entry in the manual regards the length of time you have to hold the button. Being a relative novice, I would have thought that pushing the button briefly would have been sufficient.

Don't blame yourself.

This may have been omitted in error in the Manual. That is where the fault really lies. 😉
Message 6 of 17
ferman
Aspirant

Hello everyone, I am owner of this great router from a few days.
Since I do not have at the moment equipment working at 5GHz I turned off the 5GHz frequencie from the sw interface.
But with my surprise, when I use the wifi on/off button, the router forgets this setting and when the radio is turned on with the button
the router turn on both frequencies.
It is a fw problem or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Message 7 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

ferman wrote:
Hello everyone, I am owner of this great router from a few days.
Since I do not have at the moment equipment working at 5GHz I turned off the 5GHz frequencie from the sw interface.
But with my surprise, when I use the wifi on/off button, the router forgets this setting and when the radio is turned on with the button
the router turn on both frequencies.
It is a fw problem or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

I think this already posted and that behavior do exist
Message 8 of 17
Scubbie
Apprentice

This is a similar 'bug' I found on the DGN2000 some time back.

I set up two WiFi SSIDs, but only enabled one of them. Pressing the WiFi on/off button would turn it off, but then pressing again would turn them both on.

What I would suggest is for you to disable the 5GHz SSID broadcast abilities. This might make it invisible and undetected by most people.

I would also suggest that using the 'Wireless Card Access List' is a good idea to prevent unwanted people from getting on to your router's WiFi.
Message 9 of 17
ferman
Aspirant

thanks for the tips. However, I would to turn off the frequency because peoples are very close to the router. Since none of my equipment use this frequence, I prefer to keep always turned off 5GHz freq, and I prefer to turn off all wireless radio when there are no need for wireless access in home.
So I will be very happy if in future this setting will be restored at the wifi power on.
Message 10 of 17
Joe_
Apprentice

@ferman,

I happened to discover the same thing on my router some time ago.

I believe that it's intentional that the hardware button overides the software setting.

I can understand though why some people may want it the other way around.

You should open a case at my.netgear.com and file a request if you feel strongly about.
Message 11 of 17
luigib
Aspirant

Hello,
i tried to push the front button to activate wifi 5+ sec but the only things i 'm able to obtain is to light up the blu led for 5ghz and the green led for 2,4 but still the wirelss is not active (both wifi band results as not active).

Is there any other way to switch on wifi other then the front panel button?

thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english 😮
Message 12 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

wifi button second from the right side of the panel should take enable your wifi.
Message 13 of 17
Joe_
Apprentice

luigib wrote:
...but the only things i 'm able to obtain is to light up the blu led for 5ghz and the green led for 2,4 but still the wirelss is not active (both wifi band results as not active).

What do you mean by "still the wirelss is not active"? Since both LEDs are lit the wireless is suppose to be on. Do you mean that you are not able to see the SSIDs/names of your network on the list of networks that show up on your computer?
Message 14 of 17
luigib
Aspirant

I know that the button to be pushed is the second one, the first is used in order to activate WPS.

As i said before, if i press the second front panel button leds for 5 and 2,4 ghz lights on but the router settings (www.routerlogin.net) tell me that both channel are still not active! Of course any other devices can't see the SSID. I'm going crazy about this and don't know at this point if it's because me or the 3700 doesn't work properly.
Any advice? Is the button the only way to activate wifi?

Thank you
Luigi
Message 15 of 17
luigib
Aspirant

luigib wrote:
I know that the button to be pushed is the second one, the first is used in order to activate WPS.

As i said before, if i press the second front panel button leds for 5 and 2,4 ghz lights on but the router settings (www.routerlogin.net) tell me that both channel are still not active! Of course any other devices can't see the SSID. I'm going crazy about this and don't know at this point if it's because me or the 3700 doesn't work properly.
Any advice? Is the button the only way to activate wifi?

Thank you
Luigi

Some progress here, now i'm able to see SSID on other devices. The point was the misleading translation of one setting from english to italian language. Once i switched to english all was clear. Here is the setting i'm talking about

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Unfortunatley even if now i can see the SSID i cant still login, i got a timeout connection on my MacBook Pro once i tried to connect on 2,4 or 5 ghz band. Still searching a solution for my new mistake 😞
Thak you
Message 16 of 17
Joe_
Apprentice

@luigib,

Are you reading-up the Manual(s)? It isn't clear whether you are relying soley on the help panel to guide you or you are using manual too, after all that's what it's there for.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7