Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700 and ADSL Max Connections

jlmacd
Aspirant

DGND3700 and ADSL Max Connections

Hello there. Am new to this forum so apologies in advance if this is repetition - have searched here for a specific answer to my query but with no success.

I was looking to purchase a DGND3700 to upgrade my home wireless network but have only encounter a massive reporting of the problems folk have had regarding the device constantly dropping (and not reconnecting automatically) from ADSL connections. I sought to buy instead either the WNDR3800 or 4500 but seems the problems are the same with those too.

Was all but ready to look at other manufacturers when I happened on a posting by someone who reported a stable and consistent connection (with a DGND3700) using their ADSL Max (BT Broadband - up to 8Mb) line. They reported that they had simply gone into the admin settings on the router and had changed the ADSL setting from Auto to ADSL (not ADSL2 or 2+) and all had been well.

I found this greatly encouraging in light of the overbearing amount of postings reporting poor (or no) connectivity with ADSL/ADSL Max lines . One person had reported trying the setting on Virgin Media ADSL Max line but still getting drop out problem though.

Hoping against hope, can anyone else post back at having successfully connected (and stayed connected!) on a BT ADSLMax connection by using these settings in the router admin?

Many thanks, in advance.
Message 1 of 10
Scubbie
Apprentice

An 'up to' 8mb connection is not ADSLmax. You are on standard ADSL.

Those few who are still getting connection problems are on very long lines.

The DGND3700 should work without any problems if you have a good connection. If it doesn't, be prepared to return it.
Message 2 of 10
Rohardy71
Aspirant

I'm new to the site and just recently purchased and installed a new DGND3700 to replace my old Linksys.

I have been having stability issues and extremely slow connection speeds. My old router routinely connected at 54Mbps and was steady. This one initially connected at 72Mbps then proceded to drop all the way down to 2Mbps and bounce from there to 6.5.

I DID have a couple of instances where it was necessary to log back on.

I will be trying this fix as a first attempt but it sounds like I'm not alone in this!
Message 3 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Rohardy71 wrote:
I'm new to the site and just recently purchased and installed a new DGND3700 to replace my old Linksys.

I have been having stability issues and extremely slow connection speeds. My old router routinely connected at 54Mbps and was steady. This one initially connected at 72Mbps then proceded to drop all the way down to 2Mbps and bounce from there to 6.5.

I DID have a couple of instances where it was necessary to log back on.

I will be trying this fix as a first attempt but it sounds like I'm not alone in this!

post a new thread.

initial post is broadband speed issues and NOT LAN

looks like you had old legacy wireless G router. And wifi device is N capable been showing 72Mbps.

choice are change the router's wireless setting to 54Mbps

or

to have N speed, try using different channel
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

find the best channel and use 1,6,11
Message 4 of 10
theTechman05
Aspirant

My ISP quote s mine as DSL max "up to 10 Mps" though the closest I ever got to was 6 and then I called up for error and was brought down to 4. It all depends on whos doing the matketing.

Wouldn't figerativly dslMax be vdsl which is not supported any way?
Message 5 of 10
Scubbie
Apprentice

ADSL MAX is BT's name for an ADSL2 product.
Message 6 of 10
theTechman05
Aspirant

Mine is just a humble adsl. If it ever comes to my area fios is the next advertised fastest at 20 MBps which still seems under par (but FCC hasn't probably hasn't graded what fios broadband speed should be).
Message 7 of 10
jlmacd
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
An 'up to' 8mb connection is not ADSLmax. You are on standard ADSL.

Those few who are still getting connection problems are on very long lines.

The DGND3700 should work without any problems if you have a good connection. If it doesn't, be prepared to return it.

Thank you and apologies for the ADSL Max misunderstanding (on my part!). I pay for an 'up to 8Mb' connection with PlusNet which is, sadly, the fastest connection product currently available from my local exchange (village location in Hampshire). Normally see speeds around 4 - 6Mb max but also can slow to crawl at times.

I am essentially looking to replace my current modem and router combo (which are a Zoom ADSL X3 and Belkin F5D8230-4 Pre-N respectively) with something more current and certainly 802.11n. Unfortunately, since beginning my search, it appears there isn't a single Netgear wireless n product that hasn't reported problems with disconnection/reconnection and also no solution.

Was pointed in the direction of Draytek Vigor 120 modem which, allegedly, provides a solid connection on straight forward ADSL1 line but who to believe?
If this does provide for a good stable connection then would it be a good solution to use with, say, a WNDR 3800 or similar?
I would welcome any constructive feedback and thank you.
Message 8 of 10
Scubbie
Apprentice

That's alright, there are many different names thrown around by the different ISPs and it does cause confusion when the wrong ones are used.

Certainly the Draytek Vigor 120 Modem is a popular choice at the moment. By pairing it with WNDR3800 Cable router it would provide you with many of the same functions available on the DGND3700, perhaps a couple more.

Also, should you get Fibre at a later date, the router could connect to the BTO Modem without too additional much work.
Message 9 of 10
Rohardy71
Aspirant

Ok, so what I originally posted about was to change the 'Auto' setting to 'ADSL' as jlmacd posted for connection stability. Didn't work! In fact lost connection altogether. Tried 'ADSL2 and 2+ also with no luck. HAD to reset back to 'AUTO' in order to connect through wireless at all.

The reason for the slow (wireless, not LAN) and unstable connection was a new "Broadband Connection" made as prompted by ATT for internet access when I originally connected the Ethernet cable to the router to install it and set it up. Eliminated the connection. Guess Netgear tech support said it was causing connections conflicts. Dunno....just know connection speed has been better. Still fluctuates. However from 72Mbps down to about 39. Typically stays around 52Mbps. No dropouts today anyway.

Also, I did change the channel to 9 from AUTO. Have about 8 wireless networks in the area so finding one opposite or eliminating overlap is probably impossible.

Anyway, got some other issues to work out also. Will be looking for those solutions elsewhere. Don't wanna get too off-track here.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7