Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700 base station / WPN824v3 repeater

poisonkill
Aspirant

DGND3700 base station / WPN824v3 repeater

I have a DGND3700 modem router (N600). I also have an old router WPN824v3.
I want to use the DGND3700 as a base station (obviously) and then use my older WPN824v3 as a wireless repeater to improve my signal strength to my PS3 which is currently getting only 30% strength to the N600 modem router which is quite far away. I know where to position the old router (WPN824v3) but how do I set this up?

Please help with detailed info I'm not too good at this. Also, I don't care whether the repeater will have the same SSID as the original or a different one, as long as both devices are running on the same internet connection. Also, I cannot run an ethernet cable from the N600 (Base station) and the older router, i want them to communicate wirelessly.

Thanks 🙂
Message 1 of 5
Scubbie
Apprentice

You can use the WPN824v3 as a WiFi repeater, but I suspect that you would be limited to using both the DGND3700 and the WPN824v3 with either no WiFi security or with WEP. WEP will be limited to 54mb/s.

Personally I would suggest that you consider something like a pair of good quality HomePlugs, perhaps one with a WiFi connection, or else consider one of the dedicated WiFi Extenders/Repeaters that Netgear does. These should connect using WPA2 and at full speed.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/
Message 2 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I suspect that you would be limited to using both the DGND3700 and the WPN824v3 with either no WiFi security or with WEP. WEP will be limited to 54mb/s.

it's not suspect.... it's fact 🙂
Message 3 of 5
poisonkill
Aspirant

Thanks, I actually purchased a very good product - the WN2500RP (dual band extender). This was perfect, as I now get 100% signal strength to my PS3. It's a great device and works perfects with my N600 modem router. Time to dump that old G router hahaha 😜
Message 4 of 5
Scubbie
Apprentice

poisonkill wrote:
Thanks, I actually purchased a very good product - the WN2500RP (dual band extender)...

Nice choice.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7