Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700 disconnects from ISP

toycar
Fledgling

DGND3700 disconnects from ISP

Hi there,

really happy with my router, but I've found I'm getting the same issue as some of the other members here.

DGND3700, connecting using ADSL1 (no ADSL2 available here) and it disconnects intermittently. Sometimes its fine for a couple of weeks, other times it can go for an hour or so before disconnecting.

I've updated to the latests .17 firmware, and still the problem persists. I've turned off all the advanced features (media server, print server, file server), so its only being used as an ADSL router and switch, but still have problems.

Are there any Beta firmwares or anything I can try? I'm sure Netgear must know of this problem?!?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 16
Scubbie
Apprentice

Contact Netgear's support and lodge a support call.

If there are any new beta firmwares to help on this, that is the only source to help.
Message 2 of 16
theTechman05
Aspirant

Were you using automatic setup, since that was listed to be a problem for some. What does your isp say on the matter.

I'd just make sure that first your settings are proper. Every isp has its own funk so make sure everything works before going to a non isp brand model.

*Just make sure your not using the filter that cam in box* especially if you have a working one. Mine just wasn't up to snuff compared to the Suttle brand filters I already got from the isp.
Message 3 of 16
macinmac
Aspirant

I am sure they know...anyway, have you tried to put your settings manually instead of automatic? I had the same problem like you and another user few days ago and I found the result finally in a beta firmware that Netgear send to me.
Message 4 of 16
theTechman05
Aspirant

macinmac wrote:
I am sure they know...anyway

The isp's not going to look into anything unless someone complains just like Netgear if somethings not working right.

Since I'm responding so early what was your signal statistic for this modem connection. This can be found in router status area at the bottom as long as you have a current connection.
Message 5 of 16
toycar
Fledgling

The connection was set up automatically at first, but the router wouldn't connect at all until I manually configured. Apparently auto set it to ADSL2, which I don't have. I'm now using my ISPs settings for:
Encapsulation (PPPoA) Multiplex, VPI/VCI, and Transfer mode (ATM)

Signal / Noise and connections speeds are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps (I live within a mile of the exchange)
Line Attenuation 13.0 db 7.0 db
Noise Margin 10.3 db 24.0 db

As for the filters, I am using the same filters I used with my previous router (a non ISP provided Netgear) that I had a nice stable connection on.

Macinmac, are you saying the beta firmware has resolved the problem for you? Sounds like I need to raise a support call with Netgear.
Message 6 of 16
macinmac
Aspirant

Yes the beta done it for me. Also I contacted my ISP and they kept an eye on the connection.I have almost an week since any disconnecting.
Try your Netgear support call.
Message 7 of 16
Scubbie
Apprentice

toycar wrote:
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps (I live within a mile of the exchange)
Line Attenuation 13.0 db 7.0 db
Noise Margin 10.3 db 24.0 db

Those stats look fine for an ADSL1 connection. It is possible to get a higher upstream connection, but many ISPs set the max upload to 448kbps.

Whilst you are using the old microfilters, you should be aware that typically they last around 2 years.

If you can, I would highly recommend a filtered faceplate. These tend to last more than the 2 years.

I would also recommend that you keep an eye out for any ISP who can supply you with ADSL2+ on that line as you should get in excess of a 20mb connection.
Message 8 of 16
theTechman05
Aspirant

Line faceplate at least for me was comparable to the external tail filters but they are a bugger to find. I had to personaly email suttle for a sample or it would have been 3 months to get one from the few sites having them. I'd think your stats should be a lot bettet after you said you were only a mile a way like myself. I have about double your download though I'm with less download. Might be a good opportunity to see if you can get a new line to bring up stats.

If you have an inside box connection they could do like my ISP and seperate the DSL out to the line you use.
Message 9 of 16
theTechman05
Aspirant

Below is what I get from within a mile. I'm not really sure in the sense why uploads less than download but I haven't dropped yet uploading files to places like youtube.

Connection Speed 4608 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 20.5 db 11.5 db
Noise Margin 26.1 db 9.0 db

I took the ratings from this site below to what the ratios mean. Another site said your line attenuation to your noise should be as close to 1:1 (divide them into each other and see how close you get to 1.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16220
Message 10 of 16
toycar
Fledgling

thanks for the input everyone.
I've raised a support incident with netgear online now, so just starting the process. Surprise surprise the first action is to reflash the router.:eek:
I'll try and push for updated firmware, as I'm sure this is the issue.

As for getting ADSL2, my provider already supports it, but the telephone exchange hasn't been upgraded yet. I think the slightly high noise etc on the line is due to internal house phone wiring, as I'm not on the master socket, as all my gear is in one of the bedrooms. The external wiring was replaced a few years back anyway, so I think its pretty good.
Cheers!
Message 11 of 16
Gonza
Aspirant

Hi macinmac - do you have the version number for the DGND3700 beta firmware that netgear support provided you?

I am having the same issues as toycar reported - isp connection dropout sometime every hour, other times every 5 mins.

I have tried both versions of firmware (1.0.0.12 and 10.0.0.17) and it made no difference. I also talked to netgear support, and the router was reset to factory default but no difference. The netgear support analyst said they were no aware of a beta firmware for this mode. Having a version to quote would be helpfull 🙂

Hope u can help.

> michael
Message 12 of 16
macinmac
Aspirant

DGND3700-V1.0.0.13_1.0.13_DLNA_DEBUG2.chk
Message 13 of 16
keith_thfc
Tutor

toycar wrote:
Hi there,

really happy with my router, but I've found I'm getting the same issue as some of the other members here.

Are there any Beta firmwares or anything I can try? I'm sure Netgear must know of this problem?!?

Thanks!
I'm surprised you are happy with the router given this issue. I've had it since day 1 of buying this device a few months ago & have stuck it in the back of a cupboard until Netgear release a new firmware version.

Spent enough time going backwards & forwards with Netgear support & really haven't got the time to keep doing their beta testing.
Message 14 of 16
pegasoalato
Aspirant

keith_thfc wrote:
I'm surprised you are happy with the router given this issue. I've had it since day 1 of buying this device a few months ago & have stuck it in the back of a cupboard until Netgear release a new firmware version.

Spent enough time going backwards & forwards with Netgear support & really haven't got the time to keep doing their beta testing.

Really.
A supposed "top level" router should not needed to be frequently rebooted to re-establish ADSL connection.
I'm disappointed from the fact that this old issue is still not solved by Netgear developers.
To workaround, i recollect my old router Vigor 2600 (unfortunately, it has not wireless) to act as modem and on cascade i put the 3700 (for the wireless).
I was really fed up by the disconnections: with this trick, at least, my family can use surf/email/gaming/ecc.. without screaming "Interned doesn't work "
Message 15 of 16
Scubbie
Apprentice

pegasoalato wrote:
A supposed "top level" router should not needed to be frequently rebooted to re-establish ADSL connection...

I too am very unhappy with this router in many ways.

When it works it does work well. The continuing problems means that I would not recommend this as a router of choice to someone who is not prepared to work a little to keep this router working.

I've been away for the Christmas period and took it with me, leaving my main Sky router working at home.

I've tried the router at my friend's home, using her log in details. Whilst there were no major disconnections, the router did crash on one occasion, meaning I had to reset it in the morning. It also locked up on me again a few times.

The signal was good. She has a stone built property, with a chimney going through the centre of it. The router's WiFi needed to get through that too. It managed the job very well, managing the LAN & WiFi very well.

They have a 2nd router because of the chimney and I asked my friend to try to connect to the DGND3700 when possible and although the signal strength was weaker, the speed was above the other which is a WiFi g router located in the bedroom above the lounge.

However ADSL disconnections did not happen in this instance. The connection is another ADSL2+ line.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7