Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGND3700 router & DG834Nv1 as wireless repeater

amp1
Follower

DGND3700 router & DG834Nv1 as wireless repeater

Hi all
First off Im new to the forums.
I have a DGND3700 set up & working fine as my main modem/router & I would like to use my old DG834N modem/router as a wireless access point/repeater at another location in the house.
I specifically want to attach wired products like a Slingbox & Blu-ray player to the DG834N & then wirelessly connect this to the DGND3700.
Is this possible & if so how would I go about doing this.

Many thanks in advance

AMP
Message 1 of 12
Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: DGND3700 router & DG834Nv1 as wireless repeater

I believe there is an option in the Netgear DG834N to allow it to work as a WiFi Extender, but this may be from custom firmware instead.

If there isn't, you could opt for a wired solution, using a pair of HomePlugs (or PowerLine adaptors) and connect it to the DGND3700. See the guide in the thread linked below for some guidance:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/asking-help/41883-how-connect-two-routers-together.html

Alternatively, there are HomePlugs that can provide multiple LAN ports now and a WiFi access point too.
Message 2 of 12
joewalch
Aspirant

That's not really a solution!

I have he same issue have followed the guide and set Repeater with Wireless Client Association on DG834G and set this up on the DGND3700. Have restarted both and no joy.

Have also changed the repeater IP address.

Has anyone got any suggestions?
Message 3 of 12
Scubbie
Apprentice

The guide is designed to connect two routers via an Ethernet cable or a pair of HomePlugs.

WiFi repeaters work differently. I'll let someone else describe how one should be setup to connect to the DGND3700 as I haven't tried this myself.
Message 4 of 12
joewalch
Aspirant

I missed an obvious point with mine, I forgot to ensure the network name was the same. I changed the SSID to the same as the AP and it all works.
Message 5 of 12
amp1
Follower

joewalch wrote:
I missed an obvious point with mine, I forgot to ensure the network name was the same. I changed the SSID to the same as the AP and it all works.

Many thanks for all your replies.

Joewalch - How did you manage to set up the wifi bridge between the two?
Which firmware versions did you use on the DGND3700 router & the DG834N as the wifi bridge?

Many thanks in advance
Message 6 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 7 of 12
amp1
Follower

jmizoguchi wrote:
http://vpncasestudy.com/download/WDS/WDS_Concept.pdf

Many thanks jimizoguchi.

I notice that WPA/2 isnt supported in this method.
I have the latest firmware installed on both deives & when I try to enable wireless repeating on DGND3700 & add mac address of repeater (dg834n) a message pops up & tells me that security cannot be used at all for this connection.
Sureley that undermines what wireless networks are all about.
Is there a way to get the two connected using stronger security that WEP. Surely there must be.

Cheers
Message 8 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Is there a way to get the two connected using stronger security that WEP. Surely there must be.

NO

get extender such as wn2000rpt, wn3000rp
these will JOIN the existing network
Message 9 of 12
sabretooth
Apprentice

^^ Actually no. 54Mbps and WEP is what you get in repeater mode. What you need is an extender.
Message 10 of 12
amp1
Follower

sabretooth wrote:
^^ Actually no. 54Mbps and WEP is what you get in repeater mode. What you need is an extender.

But will an extender also allow me to connect wired devices to the extender which in turn will then allow them to connect to the wireless network? Which is what I am intending to do.

Thanks again for all help
Message 11 of 12
Scubbie
Apprentice

Check out the details for this Netgear product: http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/WN2000RPT.aspx

Netgear have a dual band version, but when I looked at the UK market the other day, I couldn't find a price for it.

I would be inclined to check these forums for any known issues and also download the manual for it to confirm that this is what you are wanting. I can only find the v1 manual, but this may be sufficient.

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17886
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7