Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700 still worth buying?

busyp
Follower

DGND3700 still worth buying?

I have been recommended to buy this modem router for my ADSL2+ line so have been checking it out on the net. The reviews have been excellent but then I started reading about problems with the router disconnecting alot. Is this still a problem? Now I have read on this forum that it is being replaced, so is this router still worth buying or would another modem router with similar features be worth getting instead?
Message 1 of 12
WebSurfer593
Aspirant

For me in Australia it's working perfectly with original firmware v12 - so far not a single issue. v17 firmware seems incompatible with isp Bigpond (slow speed issues). However, it's quite embarrassing how many people face problems.
Message 2 of 12
Scubbie
Apprentice

It does very much depend on what you want to do with it. There are many people on another forum that I frequent who haven't complained nearly as much as myself.
Message 3 of 12
WebSurfer593
Aspirant

No dispute Scubbie :) Merely talking about the infamous disconnect problem from my experience - zilch here so far.
Message 4 of 12
Duck05
Aspirant

No. Just sent mine back after a month of jacking around with DSL line drops where the previous 3300 had no issues.

Wait for the 3700 V2 when it comes out.......
Message 5 of 12
DGMAX99
Aspirant

After my 2Wire stated dropping internet connection randomly, and for long periods, I bought a DGND3700 for use on ATT DSL. After much research, I was still apprehensive about the purchase (sounds like you are in the same boat I was!). But after about a month of service now, I can say the 3700 has not dropped connection once, with side benefits of increase speeds all around! I will say I am still running the V12 firmware it came with, mostly because I wanted to get an operational baseline before I started tweaking it. I do plan on backing up all the current settings and doing the firmware upgrade sometime in the future, if not just to see the effects.
Message 6 of 12
DGMAX99
Aspirant

BTW, I did have a at least one complaint associated with DGND3700, of course, as with any other device, “always room for improvement”!

So far its just “cosmetic” stuff tho. For one, why is the stand “glued on” and not reversible from side to side/end to end? The main unit comes with rubber feet installed for what appears to be horizontal use but from what I have read there may have been some concern about heat build up when laying flat, which is a feasible concern. But if the unit must be used vertically and comes with a stand to mount it that way, either make the stand reversible or at least design it where the plate does not block the view of the status LEDs from either viewing angle.

May be a silly complaint for most but my installation point just happens to be to the left of my PC, which means the stand blocks the view of the LEDs unless I turn the unit at a angle.
Message 7 of 12
WOLFMANDIM
Aspirant

Bought this router because I read lots of good reports on it. Unfortunately, I had loads of disconnects which required hard resets. Over the last one it would not synchronize by any means. Big dissapointment!
Back to my USR9108!
Message 8 of 12
jeremysup
Aspirant

I bought this unit as well thinking this will do better than Linksys /d-link/Zyxcel. VDSL support and powerful Wlan..

Now I really thinking makeing RMA and going back to e.g. Zyxcel that has better Wlan coverage/UI in general/better settings/performance. :mad:

- Breaking Wlan,
- Horrible UI
- Confusing/invalid/missing basic Settings.
- VDSL removed! WTF! :mad::eek:
Message 9 of 12
jeremysup
Aspirant

AND NO ANNEX M FOR F*** SAKE!:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Message 10 of 12
Raikku
Aspirant

All these leads one big question; I've just ordered this product and will get it soon. Should I just send it back straight away, even w/out trying it?

I use now is Alink's RR24AP, PC/X360/PS3/AV-receiver are connected by wire to modem. I use wireless only for my tv and Galaxy S 5.0 WiFi. Connection is ADSL(+?) 24M/1M here in Finland(real speed is around 14.5M).

ALink has been reliable, I don't think that there has been any modem-related disconnection during its using time. Wired performance is the most important thing to me, cause pc's connection should be ok all the time.
Message 11 of 12
jeremysup
Aspirant

Raikku wrote:
All these leads one big question; I've just ordered this product and will get it soon. Should I just send it back straight away, even w/out trying it?

Well.. Verkkokauppa.com will refund your purchase if You decide to return it. I have Sonera Extra ADSL 10M/2M and this crap do not have AnnexM to have 2M upload, only 1M goes up. I have to use external modem (zyxcel passthrough) to have my ADSL. Also VSDL was suppose to be in this device, Sonera will offer 10M/10M VSDL soon, but no: they disabled it.. :mad:

So.. nevertheless, it's not all that bad, this device still works for me, sort of, just waiting for them to write proper firmware for it. Also My Zyxcel modem's N-network is more powerfull than this devices..
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7