Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGND3700 syncing lower than TG585v7 router

keith_thfc
Tutor

DGND3700 syncing lower than TG585v7 router

Can someone help me understand why my sync speed is lower on my DGND3700 (3.3 Mbps down /0.928 up) than with my ISP provided Thomson TG 585v7 (3.7 Mbps down/1.0 up)?

Am on an ADSL1 profile and this is with default firmware settings on both. I have rebooted both devices a few times and the results above are consistent with this.

Thanks all

Keith
Message 1 of 7
Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: DGND3700 syncing lower than TG585v7 router

There can be many reasons for differences in sync speed. A common response is chipsets.

I'm on Sky's LLU equipment and in my case it is their Broadcom equipment. As the Netgear DGND3700 also has a compatible Broadcom chipset my connection benefits from the pairing and I have a good connection speed as a result.

The older Easynet equipment uses a Conexant chipset. If I had this equipment then my connection would drop a little.

How do I know what equipment I have? By doing a 'tracert' command and having someone who knows which is which by the response provided.

How would you know what is in your exchange: It will depend on any independent support forum or their own forum.
Message 2 of 7
keith_thfc
Tutor

Thanks Scubbie.

As the DGDN3700 is a pretty new all singing all dancing flagship model I expected the chipset to be 'better' than that in my freebie ISP router..........
Message 3 of 7
Scubbie
Apprentice

keith_thfc wrote:
Thanks Scubbie.

As the DGDN3700 is a pretty new all singing all dancing flagship model I expected the chipset to be 'better' than that in my freebie ISP router..........

It probably is, but it may not be 'matched'.

I mentioned the Sky LLU equipment because I am familiar with the issues. I am a member of another forum where it is discussed quite often. I took a bit of a gamble with this router as no one knew whether the chipset was matched to their Broadcom system.

Other members are finding that Sky has changed the equipment in their local exchange from the Easynet kit to the Broadcom kit. This has caused a few issues for those who had purchased their own router with a matched chipset.

Another thing that you may wish to check out is whether or not you can get your line connection tweaked a little. This very much depends on the ISP's policy and whether the person that you speak to on the telephone has the technical knowledge to do a good job of it.

There is a lot of other equipment in use in the various telephone exchanges across the planet. It will all meet specific industry standards.
Message 4 of 7
theTechman05
Aspirant

keith_thfc wrote:
Thanks Scubbie.

Lucky bugger . I get charged whether I use it or not and they prohibit returning the router. There's some tiny print that says they still have to charge me and can't remove the charge.
Message 5 of 7
Scubbie
Apprentice

theTechman05 wrote:
Lucky bugger . I get charged whether I use it or not and they prohibit returning the router. There's some tiny print that says they still have to charge me and can't remove the charge.

I guess that this is a major difference in Consumer Laws between the USA & UK, for example.

Imagine how many firms would tidy up their products sooner if you could return it & get a full refund if it didn't work?
Message 6 of 7
theTechman05
Aspirant

I can get mine replaced, I just can't return it. Everyone's fighting to keep people from converting.

Surprisingly they're also not used to people going to their office and saying their product is inadequate.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7