Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGND3700v2 - Netgear dropping wifi on 2.4GHz

mulkman
Aspirant

DGND3700v2 - Netgear dropping wifi on 2.4GHz

Hi,

My modem has started to drop WiFi connections occasionally on the 2.4 GHz band.
I've tried changing the channel, but without luck.

The devices affected (Desktop PC, HTC Phone, iPad Air)

Is someone trying to hack my WiFi network? Trying to generate the WPA handshake, disconnecting clients in the process?

Or is this a hardware issue?
Message 1 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: DGND3700v2 - Netgear dropping wifi on 2.4GHz

Have you checked the router logs?
Message 2 of 3
VLF4986
Novice

Re: DGND3700v2 - Netgear dropping wifi on 2.4GHz

Most often this is a router/connection problem or interference from Bluetooth/gaming devices. Turning the router off and back on may correct the problem if it is router related or reloading the router firmware (save your settings/configuration first) may fix the problem.

The first place I would check as searay suggested is the router logs. This would assist with ruling out that it is related to the internet connection itself.

Are wired LAN connections fine during the time the WiFi connections fail?

Do all your WiFi devices disconnect at once? When this happens is it constant or just an occasional disconnect of one device now and then?

If you know your neighbors you might check to see if they are experiencing similar problems around the same time of day. If they are it is probably interference in the area.

As long as you have a strong WPA2 WiFi password (use upper/lowercase letters and at least one number and special character) I would not worry about the security of your system. The longer the password the better and the more crazy the password the better.

If it is interference, then determining what/where it is originating from can be a challenge.

There is a program called inSSIDer which is great for seeing network activity (routers) in your immediate area (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/). This however will not show interference from Bluetooth and gaming devices. To see this type of interference requires some type of spectrum analyzer which can be expensive and likely not worth the money.

Hope this helps.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7