Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700v2 PPPOE issue: unable to connect

Spulci
Aspirant

DGND3700v2 PPPOE issue: unable to connect

Hallo,

yesterday I received a DGDN3700v2 as an RMA exchange from Netgear Italy. My previous V1 had several issues about wireless connectivity and so on (most of them well covered in this great forum).

With V1 I was able to connect to my ADSL line without any issues using PPPOE protocol and LLC multiplex with VPI:8 VCI:35. But V2 won't connect with PPPOE-LLC at all.

V2 negotiate the ADSL signal, green led blinks a little then becomes stable. Connection led never lights up (it does not even become red to signal a faulty pppoe negotiation due to incorrect login parameters).

Switching to PPPOA with VC multiplex VPI:8 VCI:35 fix the issue even if My ISP suggest to avoid PPPOA and use PPPOE. With PPPOA I've got no problem so far.

I've done several configuration, trying to set V2 WAN settings to DSL-WAN. My ISP does not provide a "service name" but leaving this field blank does not help. I've also tried to force line type to ADSL2+ instead of auto again without success. V1 was able to connect in PPPOE protocol with the same parameters at first shot 😉

It seems a firmware bug, not an hardware related issue. My ISP provide in Italy is Infostrada. I don't know which kind of DSLAM I'm connected to but I suspect it could be an Huawei type. I've got an ADSL 2+ line.

Should I try a router deep reset? I wrote a ticket to Netgear Italy; meanwhile I hope that someone can advice Netgear developers of this issue. On an italian local forum I'm not the one experiencing this issue with DGND3700v2 with "Infostrada" ISP.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 31
Spulci
Aspirant

It's incredible how randomly I can connect using pppoe. Yesterday i turned on my router, adsl connection led steady green (DslLink: up). Connection led: turned off. I wait more than 20 minutes doing nothing...and suddenly the internet led becomes steady green.

I asked my ISP to do a profile reset on DSLAM. The issue is always here. When I obtain a pppoe connection i can turn off the router. Next time I turn on it will obtain DSL signal but it will non negotiate connection.

I've got a ticket opened with netgear italy. Of course I made some more tests. I put my old asdl2+ router (an USR 9107 one) and I can get a pppoe connection in a few seconds. So it's not a line problem. It's a sort of bug with my dslam.

To give Netgear developers more information I've opened a telnet session to issue an "adslctl info --vendor" command and here it is the result:

adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason: 8000
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 1359 Kbps, Downstream rate = 14484 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 511 Kbps, Downstream rate = 7999 Kbps

ChipSet Vendor Id: BDCM:0x939f
ChipSet VersionNumber: 0x939f

ChipSet SerialNumber:

My dslam seem to be based on BDMC vendor (Broadcom like the router chipset)?

Where I can find the logfile to read the pppoe handshake log?
Message 2 of 31
Spulci
Aspirant

Re: DGND3700v2 PPPOE issue: unable to connect (WORKAROUND)

I feel myself alone in this thread. Btw I found a workaroun to always have a PPPOE connection with my ISP; this workaround shows that is a firmware bug with the DSLAM used by my ISP.

1. With right credentials, choose PPPOA protocol but change multiplex to LLC (vpi and vci: 8 and 35 suites well for pppoa and ppoe). PPPOA connection has no kind of issue so in a few seconds connection led will become green. Observe that we put LLC instead of VC (the last is the preferred one with PPPOA). Dslam is a multisense one, at least !

2. Now do not touch adsl features and stay with LLC multiplex so ADSL will stay up and running and will not do a new "training" session. ADSL led is still fixed green. Change the protocol to PPPOE and apply! Connection led will become orange....wait 5 to 10 secs and connection led will become green!

3. Well done. You will have a PPPOE connection with LLC mux. Verify yourself that MTU value is right: 1492 😉 and enjoy

4. Do not turn off the router. If so, do the workaround again to obtain a new PPPOE connection.

Btw today I will try the router on a different ISP line and on a second Infostrada ISP line. I strongly suspect that the second Infostrada line will be again affected by this issue while the other ISP line will not (as it's clearly stated by several user in a local italian forum).

Bye
Message 3 of 31
Spulci
Aspirant

Just tested the router on a neighbour adsl line...same ISP as mine...pppoe connection established at firts time but he has a different DSLAM model than mine!!!!

BDCM version number 0xa195 (neighbour DSLAM with to pppoe issue)
BDCM version number: 0x939f (mine with pppoe issue)

I've got no luck at all
Message 4 of 31
Spulci
Aspirant

Just to add more information. At the moment we are three users with DGND3700v2 and "Infostrada" Isp experiencing the same pppoe problem in the italian forum. Just to clarify we strongly suspect that most of Infostrada customer using the same DSLAM cannot use this router in pppoe (protocol that Infostrada officially support and suggest).
Message 5 of 31
Spulci
Aspirant

Spulci wrote:

BDCM version number 0xa195 (neighbour DSLAM with to pppoe issue)
BDCM version number: 0x939f (mine with pppoe issue)

I've got no luck at all

Just to correct a mistake:

BDCM version number 0xa195 has no PPPOE issue. I wrote "to" instead of "no". Sorry again
Message 6 of 31
Websurfer
Novice

Re: DGND3700v2 PPPOE issue: unable to connect (WORKAROUND)

Spulci wrote:
I feel myself alone in this thread.

A friend of mine with a brand new v2 has the same connection issue with Infostrada (I'm italian too). But he will stay on PPPoA without calling the support.

By the way, I sold my 3700v1 (to much unresolved problems) and buyed an asus dsl-n55u. Well, this modem-router is completely on a different level of quality and support (there is also a direct contact with software-engineer on the asus forum!).
Bye bye forever, netgear. You have lost a costumer! 😉
Message 7 of 31
Spulci
Aspirant

In the next few days I will inform Infostrada about this issue to suggest their customer to avoid dgnd3700v2 with ULL lines like mine, at least when a new firmware will be released.

Technical support acknowledge the problem as a firmware bug and they told me to wait for the next release. There are good chances that when the new firmware will be released I will no longer be an owner of this router. Dgndv1 was a nightmare for the wireless part....v2 seems a new nightmare for the wired part
Message 8 of 31
memitim
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same problem, except I'm in South Africa on a Telkom ADSL line.

I had the router swapped out today for a new one which has the exact same problem.

What's weird is that the previous one did work for a couple of weeks before it started doing this.

My old Netgear DGN2000 connects immediately with the same account.

How did you see the BDCM version number?
Message 9 of 31
Spulci
Aspirant

memitim wrote:
I'm having the exact same problem, except I'm in South Africa on a Telkom ADSL line.

I had the router swapped out today for a new one which has the exact same problem.

What's weird is that the previous one did work for a couple of weeks before it started doing this.

My old Netgear DGN2000 connects immediately with the same account.

How did you see the BDCM version number?

That's interesting. I suspect that this issue was related to an interoperability problem. We need a firmware upgrade soon NETGEAR. To check your DSLAM model you should be able to open a telnet connection with yout router, setting it in special debug mode. Before telling these procedure in this forum I want to be sure not to violate forum policy. I hope that a moderator can assure me I can write down this procedure in public.

Let's wait a little for this confirmation. Thanks and welcome in the pppoe bug club 🙂
Message 10 of 31
memitim
Aspirant

Telnet is already enabled on my router, just need the command. Not too familiar with the Netgear Telnet interface
Message 11 of 31
Spulci
Aspirant

Ok....open a telnet session, log-in and type:

adslctl info --vendor

You will obtain infos on your telco operator remote DSLAM. Please post here your result...I suspect you will be under BDCM dslam (Broadcom). Please post all the output given by this command. Thanks a lot 🙂
Message 12 of 31
memitim
Aspirant

Here you go: adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status Status: Showtime Last Retrain Reason: 1 Last initialization procedure status: 0 Max: Upstream rate = 1060 Kbps, Downstream rate = 25952 Kbps Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 1023 Kbps, Downstream rate = 10015 Kbps ChipSet Vendor Id: P ChipSet VersionNumber: 0x0000 ChipSet SerialNumber: Seems wrong though...
Message 13 of 31
Spulci
Aspirant

Seems you are under a Marconi DSLAM (Texas Instrument based chipset). So it seems that we have a new interoperability problem even with this kind of DSLAM. I found this information googlin a bit on the internet. Well, one more issue to be fixed from Netgear. Please open a ticket with Netgear support. Otherwise next firmware will suffer again of that issue. Please give them a link to this post in the ticket. Let us know their response.
Message 14 of 31
HerculesObie
Initiate

Hi, did you get this resolved?
I am also having the same problem with my new DGND3700v2 and I'm also from South Africa using TELKOM.
Just some more info: I can sometimes get the connection to work by changing setting as suggested in this forum and then rebooting the Router. I should add that Netgear Genie reports a "succesfull connection" but if i try to connect to any website including my isp web site it gives me a connection time out error. When I check the connection status again it reports not connected.
Also my DGN2200Mv2 connects with same credentials and no problems.
Message 15 of 31
Spulci
Aspirant

HerculesObie wrote:
Hi, did you get this resolved?
I am also having the same problem with my new DGND3700v2 and I'm also from South Africa using TELKOM.
Just some more info: I can sometimes get the connection to work by changing setting as suggested in this forum and then rebooting the Router. I should add that Netgear Genie reports a "succesfull connection" but if i try to connect to any website including my isp web site it gives me a connection time out error. When I check the connection status again it reports not connected.
Also my DGN2200Mv2 connects with same credentials and no problems.

No, this issue has not been fixed yet by Netgear. We're all waiting for a new firmware release for this acknowledge problem as well as for other issues. Netgear is still silent. I've checked a couple of beta firmware release for that router but they don't fix this issue.

Hoping the new year will bring a more stable firmware release.

I wish to all of you a great Christmas 🙂
Message 16 of 31
aneiros
Aspirant

Hi Simone,

I bought a NetGear DGND3700v2 router few days ago and I have the same problem you have, my router is unable to connect using PPPoE protocol. It does exactly the same as your router does: negotiate the ADSL signal but never get an IP from my ISP.

I live in Spain and Jazztel is the name of my ISP.

Then, I tried with PPPoA as you did and it's working.

Is there any problem with using PPPoA instead of PPPoE?

(My ISP only mentioned PPPoE :confused:)

Regads,
Abel

My router: Netgear DGND3700v2 Firmware: V1.1.00.12_1.00.12
Message 17 of 31
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WGT624v4 Question(s)...

aneiros wrote:
Hi Simone,

I bought a NetGear DGND3700v2 router few days ago and I have the same problem you have, my router is unable to connect using PPPoE protocol. It does exactly the same as your router does: negotiate the ADSL signal but never get an IP from my ISP.

I live in Spain and Jazztel is the name of my ISP.

Then, I tried with PPPoA as you did and it's working.

Is there any problem with using PPPoA instead of PPPoE?

(My ISP only mentioned PPPoE :confused:)

Regads,
Abel

My router: Netgear DGND3700v2 Firmware: V1.1.00.12_1.00.12

Usually that will not work. If ISP uses PPPoE then you need to use PPPoE.

Some ISP also uses specific DSL modem with branded firmware that may also work better and usually have approved DSL units. You may want to consider to go with ISP approved unit that can uses as bridge mode get WNDR3700 family instead of DND3700.

This will your alternative.
Message 18 of 31
Spulci
Aspirant

aneiros wrote:
Hi Simone,

I amazed to see how widespread is this issue!!! And after months Netgear still has no patch or new firmware available.
BTW, I've got a PPPOE Service subscription too. But tons of ISP use multiprotocol DSLAM so this is our case 🙂 Feel free to use PPPOA and feel yourself lucky. If our DSLAM was able to use only PPPOE, our DGND3700 v2 would have been useless.

Netgear PLEASE patch this kind of issue in the next firmware release!!!
Message 19 of 31
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Netgear PLEASE patch this kind of issue in the next firmware release

All user has same issues needs to contact support directly to complain the issues at my.netgear.com

Posting complain here will be less effective .:)
Message 20 of 31
Spulci
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
All user has same issues needs to contact support directly to complain the issues at my.netgear.com

Posting complain here will be less effective .:)

Can't remember the exact number of support email tickets with Netgear Italy official support. "Sorry, it seems to be a bug....use PPPOA instead of PPPOE"....it was september 2012. Since september no patch....I'm sure that more users like me opened a support ticket. After that ticket 4 beta firmware has been released....and still no fix for this issue. In a local italian forum other people contacted tech support for the same problem.

We're waiting....:)
Message 21 of 31
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I'm not sure to suggest but this user base public forum so if you think resolution isn't there, you may need to find other avenue to rectify to satisfy your needs. By all means of using different model not limited to netgear products and/or use ISP specific DSL modem 🙂
Message 22 of 31
Spulci
Aspirant

Thanks for your support jmizoguchi. I know this is just a public support forum: I will not obtain nothing more than sharing my issues with other users. I'm just curious to see how much time still Netgear will spend to give us an updated dgnd3700v2 official firmware. 😄
Message 23 of 31
ghwong
Aspirant

Guys... I guess I notice this issue in forum too late.
I bought the DGND3700v2 router at Dec2012 and it is working fine till March when suddenly it stop working.
I called and email Netgear for help but no solution provided.
They asked me to replace the unit with another new one.
I got my modem router changed and it is still not working.
I'm from Malaysia (Telco: Streamyx). Connection using PPPoE and LLC with VCI/VPI = 0/35).
Got it working when I first bought the router. Maybe my ISP upgraded the DSLAM.
Will check out what is the ISP DSLAM using the guide provided in this forum.
I tried changing my modem router to modem bridge mode and using windows dialer I'm able to connect to internet and perfectly normal. (meaning the modem and line is working fine).
Returning back to router mode can't get it working.. I even try using it as WAN router by connecting a modem to it and it can't work.. seem like the firmware for the PPPoE is not compatible with various DSLAM around the world.
I also tried the PPPoA and it is not working also.
I have a spare Dlink modem router also working fine (DSL-2460B) but keep hang, so use it as modem with Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N and current still ok.. but I'd waste modem on this modem router.
Currently using the 1.1.0.14 firmware.
Message 24 of 31
Spulci
Aspirant

ghwong wrote:
Guys... I guess I notice this issue in forum too late.
I bought the DGND3700v2 router at Dec2012 and it is working fine till March when suddenly it stop working.
I called and email Netgear for help but no solution provided.
They asked me to replace the unit with another new one.
I got my modem router changed and it is still not working.
I'm from Malaysia (Telco: Streamyx). Connection using PPPoE and LLC with VCI/VPI = 0/35).
Got it working when I first bought the router. Maybe my ISP upgraded the DSLAM.
Will check out what is the ISP DSLAM using the guide provided in this forum.
I tried changing my modem router to modem bridge mode and using windows dialer I'm able to connect to internet and perfectly normal. (meaning the modem and line is working fine).
Returning back to router mode can't get it working.. I even try using it as WAN router by connecting a modem to it and it can't work.. seem like the firmware for the PPPoE is not compatible with various DSLAM around the world.
I also tried the PPPoA and it is not working also.
I have a spare Dlink modem router also working fine (DSL-2460B) but keep hang, so use it as modem with Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N and current still ok.. but I'd waste modem on this modem router.
Currently using the 1.1.0.14 firmware.

The worst thing is that this issue is still present in 1.1.0.14 firmaware version. After more than 6 months and several tickets with Netgear support the problem is still unfixed. And this thread is still growing. I'm not alone 🙂 Guess what? My next product will not be a Netgear one...not for the bug, not for the product itself, just for the firmware and the official support.
Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7