Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGND3700v2 chromecast channel

stuieb
Follower

DGND3700v2 chromecast channel

hi,
simple question cause I'm a simple guy...
I have set up my new N600 in the standard recommended way.
One network on 2.4Ghz,; 2nd separate network on 5Ghz
Chromecast operates only on 2.4Ghz, therefore anything connecting to chromecast must also be on 2.4Ghz.

I was hoping to use 5Ghz network for internet streaming, leaving the 2.4 network for other uses around the house, mobile phones etc.

Is there anyway for PC/tablet on 5Ghz channel to communicate/send data to the chromecast on 2.4 network.
I read somewhere that someone with a different brand dual network router could do it via secondary MAC addresses or some such thing.
Is it possible to set up the N600 in any way to do this, or are the 2 networks completely separate.?
In which case my higher speed network is under utilized while the 2.4 takes a hammering.Not that Ive had any performance complaints. Its really the chromecast issue only having 2.4gGhz firmware.

Thanks if anyone can help,
and thanks if anyone can say cant be done, save me researching anymore!
Cheers
Stuart

Message 1 of 2
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: DGND3700v2 chromecast channel

On my DGND3700v1 I have no trouble communicating between 2.4Ghz devices and 5Ghz devices. I would have thought the key would be the subnet's that the devices are in rather than the radio freq. being used for the device to connect to the network. If all devices on your network are using 192.168.0.n IP addresses and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 then all devices on your network should be able to talk to each other.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7