Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGND3700v2 dropping internet.

tuco
Aspirant

DGND3700v2 dropping internet.

Hello, i received my 3700v2 today to replace a Belkin N wireless router and setup was painless with everything working great. 15mins later i lost the internet and 2.4ghz wireless was off as well, i turned off the router and after several attempts (router would light up power and internet lights orange but nothing else) it started up again... 30 mins this time and lost internet/2.4. I've tried setting DSL to adsl and use DSL-WAN instead of auto but its still doing it ? Both previous routers don't do this (Belkin and Zyxxel(?)) I've changed the filter at the masterplug which the router is connected to as well but makes no difference, My ISP is Postoffice and its a ADSL-MAX(8mb) line and the router firmware is V1.1.00.08_1.00.08.

Having read some of the topics on this forum it seems this is a common problem with a ADSL-MAX line with the V1 3700, hoping there is a setting that fixes this on the V2 that i've missed !

Whilst typing this i again lost internet and 2.4 wireless, this time though i couldn't get the router to reboot at all, power light and internet lights in orange or power and front usb lights come on but nothing else, tried removing power for several minutes and pressing the reset button but its not booting at all.
Message 1 of 15
tuco
Aspirant

Re: DGND3700v2 dropping internet.

Have just powered it up and still not booting up, holding the reset doesn't fix it either. So is the dropping internet of my unit before it died just a sign of it being a duff unit (send back for replacement) or is there still a problem with adsl-max lines and the new v2 ?
Message 2 of 15
tuco
Aspirant

Checked with Amazon and i can only get a refund as they have no stock, question still stands though, just a duff unit and worth ordering another 3700v2 or try another router ?
Message 3 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Having read some of the topics on this forum it seems this is a common problem with a ADSL-MAX line with the V1 3700, hoping there is a setting that fixes this on the V2 that i've missed !

contact support at my.netgear.com and ask your concern to verify the compatibility etc
Message 4 of 15
tuco
Aspirant

Good advice, cheers !
Message 5 of 15
wifiuk
Aspirant

i've had no disconnection problems with my older routers at all... but within a day of setting up a brand new DGND3700v2 it has dropped at least 3 or 4 times. Netgear support are just following scripts, i wonder if anyone there actually has any technical ability. I work as a 2nd line support on a very techinical desk and this is so annoying not being able to speak to someone else technical! I'm probably going to have to send it back to amazon, what the next best thing netgear or not?
Message 6 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

wifiuk wrote:
i've had no disconnection problems with my older routers at all... but within a day of setting up a brand new DGND3700v2 it has dropped at least 3 or 4 times. Netgear support are just following scripts, i wonder if anyone there actually has any technical ability.

I work as a 2nd line support on a very techinical desk and this is so annoying not being able to speak to someone else technical!

I'm probably going to have to send it back to amazon, what the next best thing netgear or not?

likely that if you use non ISP approved devices or possible chipset that used in dngnd is not compatible with your ISP.
Message 7 of 15
dewi
Tutor

wifiuk wrote:
i've had no disconnection problems with my older routers at all... but within a day of setting up a brand new DGND3700v2 it has dropped at least 3 or 4 times. Netgear support are just following scripts, i wonder if anyone there actually has any technical ability.

I work as a 2nd line support on a very techinical desk and this is so annoying not being able to speak to someone else technical!

I'm probably going to have to send it back to amazon, what the next best thing netgear or not?

Oh dear. I thought the DGND3700v2 was supposed to fix that problem. I received a refund on my DGND3700v1 and bought a Billion 7800N. I don't know what Billion technical support are like (I haven't needed to contact them), but the router is rock solid and the Billion technical people regularly reply to threads on the Billion UK forum.
Message 8 of 15
pebano
Aspirant

Hi!
I have a WNDR3700 and are also experiencing same type of problems, it disconnects several time every hour. I've had it for a couple of years, and the problems seems to increased the last 4-5 months. Needs to reboot a lot. Currently 14 devices is connected both wiered and wireless. Is there a limit to have many devices I can connect?
Message 9 of 15
tuco
Aspirant

Whats the wireless range like on the Billion dewi ?
Message 10 of 15
dewi
Tutor

tuco wrote:
Whats the wireless range like on the Billion dewi ?

It's pretty good. It's much better than my previous Thomson TG585 and about the same as the DGND3700, I'd say. The Billion only supports 2.4GHz though, while the DGND3700 also supports 5GHz. On the other hand, the Billion never drops my ADSL connection, and I was able to tweak the SNR to get a useful increase in downstream sync rate.
Message 11 of 15
tuco
Aspirant

Good to know, thanks dewi.
Message 12 of 15
keith_thfc
Tutor

Just to add to Dewi's comment, the wireless range for on my Billion 7800N is significantly better than on my previous devices (like my DGND3700v1). For the first time I can actually use wifi in my bedroom whereas before it would take about 1 minute to load a web page.

The Billion a massive router in terms of size so doesn't look anywhere as pretty as the Netgear but so far it seems rock solid. You can tweak your SNR which is something I quite like and I'm now getting about 4.5 Meg down compared to 4 Meg down before on my Thomson TG585/DGND3700v1.

Only minor snag is that because I'm on the be*/O2 network I have to use a specific MP0A protocol which doesn't let you instantly view your ADSL uptime. Billion confirmed its not yet implemented in their firmware. So I have to go into the system log to see what time my ADSL last connected/disconnected.

It was very refreshing though to get a clear and simple reply from Billion's UK support first thing this morning. Makes a change from the outsourced script-following Negear agents who never answer your actual question & then spend 3 paragraphs telling you how happy they are to be helping you......
Message 13 of 15
DouglasG
Aspirant

tuco wrote:
Hello, i received my 3700v2 today to replace a Belkin N wireless router and setup was painless with everything working great. 15mins later i lost the internet and 2.4ghz wireless was off as well, i turned off the router and after several attempts (router would light up power and internet lights orange but nothing else) it started up again... 30 mins this time and lost internet/2.4. I've tried setting DSL to adsl and use DSL-WAN instead of auto but its still doing it ? Both previous routers don't do this (Belkin and Zyxxel(?)) I've changed the filter at the masterplug which the router is connected to as well but makes no difference, My ISP is Postoffice and its a ADSL-MAX(8mb) line and the router firmware is V1.1.00.08_1.00.08.

Whilst typing this i again lost internet and 2.4 wireless, this time though i couldn't get the router to reboot at all, power light and internet lights in orange or power and front usb lights come on but nothing else, tried removing power for several minutes and pressing the reset button but its not booting at all.

Are you sure it's a v2? Sounds to me like a v1 issue. My 3700v2 is rock solid on ADSL2.
Message 14 of 15
tuco
Aspirant

It was a V2, no doubt about it.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements