Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700v2 no local LAN access from wifi

andref
Aspirant

DGND3700v2 no local LAN access from wifi

Hi all

I recently collected one of the DGND3700v2 devices and set it up at home. I did a basic config, changed the LAN IP range to match the existing LAN devices, configured DHCP, got the Internet DSL line up and running and configured the 2.4Gig radio with WPA2. Everything works fine, all devices on the network (wired and wireless) can connect to the internet as expected, however (and it's a big however).. No device connected via the wifi connection can access anything on the LAN other than the router itself. I have tried from both a Mac and a Win7 laptop. They can both access the router, can access the internet, but cannot access any of the other devices on the network (Media streamer and a Tivo). Both these devices are connected directly to the ethernet ports of the router. If I plug any of the laptops into the router on a wired connection they work fine.

It's almost like the router is running some half wifi isolation allowing me only access to the router, but no other stations on the LAN. I did try to switch isolation on and off, but no change.

To test this I connected a second AP to a port on the router and set up a second SSID on the separate AP. Connecting the laptops to this SSID, which then runs wired to the 3700 and all is working again. Full access to everything.

Anyone had anything similar?? It's starting to sound like a bug to me. We are not talking a complex setup here. Firmware is 1.1.0.8 as shipped. Can't find anything newer (I'm outside the US)

Thanks

Message 1 of 83
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

look for wireless isolation feature in the router.

it will prevent communication between wireless and wired devices .
Message 2 of 83
andref
Aspirant

Ah, if only it were that simple. That's what I thought at first too based on the symptoms. But its disabled. I even tried enabling it just to see and it definitely works, with isolation on I can only access the internet and nothing else on the local LAN. Switching off reverts back to the above behaviour where I can only access the router itself from Wifi.

I even tried to setup a guest wifi and specifically tick the local access box, but the behaviour is the same.

My DG834 worked just fine for years and I'd toss this one were it not that I need the higher wireless speeds.
Message 3 of 83
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

all the devices under attach devices (router gui) shows the device name?
Message 4 of 83
andref
Aspirant

Interesting result on that actually. It got me thinking..

Some of the devices attached to the router (wired) do not appear in the attached devices list at all until I ping them from the router. Then they appear with name and all. I still can't ping or access them from the wireless network, but I can, and always have been able to access them from a wired device.

I have an 8 port Netgear switch for the rest of the devices and some of these also appear in the table, but are also not ping-able from the wifi. Disconnecting this switch has no effect either.

It's looking like it could be an arp issue. I ran Wireshark and filtered on arp's. I can see the macbook broadcast for the mac address of the device being pinged. Nobody replies. Then the Netgear, who has the device physically attached to it, arps for the mac of the very same device. This mac should be in it's own mac table since the router can ping this same device. I assume the "attached devices" table is basically the routers arp table, however, if I ping the device, get it to appear in the attached devices table, I still cannot ping it from wifi. Remember, this device can all along access the internet and can be accessed from the wired network. Very odd.

I'm going to run the same test on a wired connection now. Just need to collect some more cables...
Message 5 of 83
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

sounds like good idea

ARP seems to be an issues.
Message 6 of 83
moster67
Aspirant

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I guess I came here as many others in order to find some help....

I confirm the same issue as andref with my DGND3700v2 running the shipped firmware V1.1.00.08_1.00.08 . This is happening with my Android-tablet (Acer Iconia A500 running ICS 4.03) but if use my Android-phone running Gingerbread, everything works and I can see all other devices on the network.

I am getting nuts and I have tried enabling and then disabling again Wireless isolation but this does not help. I have reset the router and then re-installed all again but in vain.

When my Acer is connected, I can use Internet but I can't access any other wired resources in my LAN such as other PC, satellite-receivers etc. It is just like it was on a different network.

EDIT: just noted that if I connect my Android-phone (which does work), then my Acer can see it. It seems like my Acer can only see devices which are connected with WIFI and not LAN.

If connect my Acer to an Access Point which in turn is connected by wire to a small switch/router, then my Acer can see all devices. It is only when it connected directly to the DGND3700v2 in WIFI, it remains "isolated".

So my results seem similar to those of Andref except for when using my Android-phone which runs Gingerbread and not Ice Cream Sandwish. Perhaps it is a problem with ICS and the DGND3700v2 although this does not explain why things do not work for Andref unless he was trying a ANdroid-device with ICS too.

Any ideas? Shall I contact support? As things are standing now, this router is pretty useless for me. I bought it yesterday and I believe I have the right for a refund.
Message 7 of 83
andref
Aspirant

Just to follow on what moster67 said. It seems like wireless devices can see each other, but not devices wired to the 3700. I have an IP camera that I can access from the laptops and my android phone, but none of these devices can access the Tivo and media server which is wired to the 3700.

Also, just like moster67, I have a switch and a second AP at the other end of the house. Devices connected to the second AP work fine and can see everything.

Interestingly unlike moster67, my android phone, also running Gingerbread behaves like the laptops and cannot see the wired devices.

I have logged a call with Netgear and was told to default the device and test with the shipped wifi settings. I have defaulted the device, but at least needed to change IP range to match the rest of the network. Needless to say, no change.

Awaiting further feedback...
Message 8 of 83
andref
Aspirant

Firmware re-flash recommended by support. No change in behaviour.

Device returned.
Message 9 of 83
OldBugman
Aspirant

sounds the same as my problem, separate post made.
Message 10 of 83
sysmaster
Aspirant

I have the same problem on two DGND3700v2 routers connected on ADSL (no problem with that).

When i make a wireshark trace, i can see that no arp response come to my wifi connected PC.

On some wifi devices (android phones for example), they say that they can't get an ip address from my dhcp server (connected by wire on LAN).

I would like to know what can i do to resolve it...
Message 11 of 83
sysmaster
Aspirant

And when i try to just ping the routeur IP address, i have between 3 and 7% of lost packets (my router is just at 5 meters from my PC).

My routers are with 2 different firmwares (V1.1.00.09_1.00.09 et V1.1.00.08_1.00.08) and i have exactly the same problems.

My PC get an ip address by DHCP 192.168.1.144/255.25.0.0 (dhcp is disabled on the router ; it's a server on my LAN, that i can't ping, that gives me the address so dhcp broadcast/answer is ok on that wifi network).
The netgear router is configured with 192.168.0.5/255.255.0.0.
The server on my LAN is configured with 192.168.0.8/255.255.0.0 but it's the same problem with other devices on LAN (other router, network printer, ...) configured with 192.168.0.xx or 192.168.1.XX/255.255.0.0 address.

I just opened a ticket at my.netgear.com...
Message 12 of 83
sysmaster
Aspirant

With all the tests i made, it seems like "wireless isolation" was active even if i don't check the box related to in wireless setup page.

If i check/apply or uncheck the box "enable wireless isolation", the result is the same.

If i define my default gateway to be the ADSL netgear router, i can ping router and surf on Internet if my dns server is 8.8.8.8 (google dns) or the routeur himself for example.

If i try to communicate with local machines on my network (other computers, printers, other gateways), i can't and i have no ARP response.

I hope netgear support will give me a solution...
Message 13 of 83
OldBugman
Aspirant

Let me know if you get further than the response I got. which was hopefully a future firmware fixes it.
Message 14 of 83
OldBugman
Aspirant

well initial testing of the 1.1.00.12 firmware seems to have resolved this issue.
Message 15 of 83
sysmaster
Aspirant

Thank you for the solution i will try now.
Message 16 of 83
OldBugman
Aspirant

odd, then it suddenly stopped working. was able to ping everything, now no reponses except from dgnd3700
Message 17 of 83
sysmaster
Aspirant

damned...
I just did the upgrade on my routers and the wifi connection works now, that's right.
I will see in the next hours if it is still good.

With firmware 1.00.08 and 1.00.09, i also tried to have a look at router debug mode (with 192.168.1.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug you can activate debug and telnet on the router where you got a unix like system) but i don't see any thing that could explain the problem.

And i actually had no answer from netgear support (1st level)...
Message 18 of 83
sysmaster
Aspirant

and unfortunatly, i had the same problem as you OldBugman : it worked for a couple of hours and my wifi connection stopped working with the same symptoms i had with old firmware :
- no arp responses to queries
- i can only ping the router himself
- no access to my LAN

If i reboot the router, the wifi connection "works" again.

I said "works" because with the wifi connection working, i have a lot of lost packets (between 2 and 5% testing with "ping") even if the router is just near my laptop (about 1 meter). It's ok to go to Internet and access some files on my network but it's not normal i think.

With the same laptop on another wifi connection (airport or Dlink DSL2740b), i have no lost packet.

This router seems to have serious wifi problems...
Message 19 of 83
OldBugman
Aspirant

I've given up on it for now and instead of my network being a DGND3700 and a WNDR3700 at the other end of the house i now have disabled the wifi within the DGND3700 and have installed a second hand WNDR4000. I have managed to tell mention how bad of a product it is when ever we talk about networks, streaming etc.
Message 20 of 83
skipbisconer
Aspirant

I bought my 3700 about a month ago. How do you tell if you have v1 or v2? I can't see anything on the modem. So far it has been a pain in the you know what by having to reboot 3 or for times a day and every morning. I can only get 4.6 max on ATT's speed test and I am paying for six which is the maximum I can get in my rural area. That makes watching a video online herky jerky. Their tech people suck. I was on a phone with one guy for for hours hand to use 3 different mobile phones to stay connected with the guy and he could fix it. Told me he would call back but didn't so I called again and got a guy who spoke my language a little better and spen another 3 hours on the line with him. Good thing I had spare batteries. He ended not fixing anything and tried selling me on some dashboard utility softer ware for another 150 bucks.

Does anyone think I have a chance at getting my money back from Netgear?
Message 21 of 83
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

How do you tell if you have v1 or v2? I can't see anything on the modem.

explicitly said the forum V# question many times

ONLY V2 and up will have V# shows after the model# (ex DNGD3700V2)

otherwise you will have V1.

Does anyone think I have a chance at getting my money back from Netgear?

Return the unit from vendor your purchase or if let go the return vendor policy to not abel to return then you waited too longs

Netgear will not refund the money but only to RMA exchange the unit.
Message 22 of 83
drknot
Aspirant

New v2 WiFi did briefly talk to LAN but not with PC's Android phones on WiFi can see the LAN Resorting to homeplug LAN connections for OS updates now. Anyone on the beta firmware seeing this as a fixed issue?
Message 23 of 83
BAJ475
Aspirant

I was having the same problem, in that I could not see a device on my local network from my ASUS tf700t tablet (WiFi only). The device is a ECC BCS-460 controller, which shows a web page when it is accessed from a web browser. My router is a Netgear WNDR3700 version 1. The BCS-460 is permanently assigned IP address 192.168.1.4, with a name of BCS460, in my routers' address reservation table. Even so, it appears with an "unknown" device name when I click on attached devices. I also have a Linksys PAP2T directly connected to my router. The PAP2T also shows a web page when it is accessed from a web browser. By chance I tried to access the PAPT2 from my ASUS tablet and, to my surprise, it worked. Given that my BCS-460 was attached to my router through a Netgear switch, I connected it directly to my WNDR3700. My ASUS tablet can now access my BCS-460 controller. I have no idea why this makes a difference. I am posting my experience here in the hope that it will help others on the forum discover what is going on and in the hope that a solution to the problem can be found, because I had to unplug my network printer to have a place to plug in my BCS-460 controller. Maybe others can try various switches to see if any of them do not have the problem I have with my Netgear GS605 v3 switch.
Message 24 of 83
BAJ475
Aspirant

Things are even stranger. Plugged my BCS-460 controller back into my Netgear switch and everything is still working.:confused: but 🙂
Message 25 of 83
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7