Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700v2 will not work with Firefox (without TLS 1.2 support)

jaraco
Tutor

DGND3700v2 will not work with Firefox (without TLS 1.2 support)

Today, Firefox informs me that it soon will not support remote administration of my parents' Netgear router because that router does not support TLS 1.2. I rely on remote administration of the router to configure port forwarding and remotely troubleshoot problems. Without remote administration, there is no one inside the network capable of performing the troubleshooting.

As Chrome and Firefox are dropping support for TLS 1.0-1.1, I'll lose the ability to administer the router.

Does Netgear have a plan to support TLS 1.2? Is there a replacement ADSL router that has this capability?

Model: DGND3700v2|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

@w3wilkes wrote:

@michaelkenward may be able to prompt one of the Netgear people that visit these boards on occasion to answer the question of ADSL devices and TLS version support. I will mention that it appears that Netgear is moving away from ADSL type devices.

The DGND3700v2 is a basic ADSL modem/router that is now well into EOL territory. It can't be that useful to many people in these VDSL days.

While there are times when we can nudge Netgear into action, asking it to fix a modem-router that originally appeared near on a decade ago (2011) would be pushing it. Writing new firmware for something that old isn't going to be worth the effort. They may not even know how to do it.

After all, Firefox broke this thing. Not Netgear.

There seems to be a growing issue with DSL modems on all fronts. Few brands make those things these days. It seems to be down to the reluctance of ISPs to allow third party hardware on to their networks.

When I wanted to replace my D6400 DSL modem (these are still available) I couldn't even find the DM200 modem only box in the usual retail channels. I had to buy from one of those "open box" suppliers. In the event it looked to be brand new with all the original packaging and stuff.

I went for the DM200 (I have a couple of them) because it is a basic modem and I can use it as the front end of a proper router. Even there, there is no guarantee that Firefox or someone else won't break it next week. At the moment we are trying to persuade Netgear to fix ReadyCLOUD. Microsoft broke it with a recent Windows update. That one has hit quite a few users of various devices and is a feature of current hardware, not something best pensioned off to a science museum.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I would say it's time to start looking for a replacement device.

Message 2 of 7
jaraco
Tutor

Yeah, not very helpful. My question was about can this device support modern browsers or what devices will. I looked at the latest ADSL offerings from Netgear and they don't indicate what versions of TLS the administrative HTTP server supports. Still looking for helpful answers.

Message 3 of 7
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@michaelkenward may be able to prompt one of the Netgear people that visit these boards on occasion to answer the question of ADSL devices and TLS version support. I will mention that it appears that Netgear is moving away from ADSL type devices.

Message 4 of 7

@w3wilkes wrote:

The DGND3700v2 is a basic ADSL modem/router that is now well into EOL territory. It can't be that useful to many people in these VDSL days.

While there are times when we can nudge Netgear into action, asking it to fix a modem-router that originally appeared near on a decade ago (2011) would be pushing it. Writing new firmware for something that old isn't going to be worth the effort. They may not even know how to do it.

After all, Firefox broke this thing. Not Netgear.

There seems to be a growing issue with DSL modems on all fronts. Few brands make those things these days. It seems to be down to the reluctance of ISPs to allow third party hardware on to their networks.

When I wanted to replace my D6400 DSL modem (these are still available) I couldn't even find the DM200 modem only box in the usual retail channels. I had to buy from one of those "open box" suppliers. In the event it looked to be brand new with all the original packaging and stuff.

I went for the DM200 (I have a couple of them) because it is a basic modem and I can use it as the front end of a proper router. Even there, there is no guarantee that Firefox or someone else won't break it next week. At the moment we are trying to persuade Netgear to fix ReadyCLOUD. Microsoft broke it with a recent Windows update. That one has hit quite a few users of various devices and is a feature of current hardware, not something best pensioned off to a science museum.

Message 5 of 7
jaraco
Tutor

Thanks for the info and solidarity.

To be fair, the timelines look more like this:

2008 - TLS 1.2 is defined

2011 - DGND3700v2 is released

2016 - last firmware update for router is released

2019ish - Browsers announce dropping support for TLS 1.1 and earlier

I'm a software developer by trade and fully understand the challenges and tradeoffs a constrained product like a consumer-grade router has to make to be usable and competitively priced, so I don't fault Netgear for the choices they've made. I have no idea if supporting TLS 1.2 would be a drop-in replacement of an openSSL module or if it would require specialized engineering.

I also sympathize with the manufacturer's reluctance to release to market new devices in this arena when the providers are so hostile to their intentions.

Regardless, it's not a huge surprise that a 9-year-old router doesn't support the latest required standards. I'll probably just keep an old browser lying around to connect to the existing hardware.

I was hoping to avoid buying, maintaining, and finding power for two separate devices, but the recommendation to get a DM200 and separate the concerns of routing (and thus router administration) from the modem may be the best bet. I'll plan to go that route if I can't find a simple-enough workaround using the devices I have.

Message 6 of 7

@jaraco wrote:

I was hoping to avoid buying, maintaining, and finding power for two separate devices, but the recommendation to get a DM200 and separate the concerns of routing (and thus router administration) from the modem may be the best bet. I'll plan to go that route if I can't find a simple-enough workaround using the devices I have.

Don't hang around. If you can't find one in the retail chain, eBay has them regularly, usually <£50. But prices are going up. They now sell for more than their original retail price.

I have used the DM200 in front of an R7000P and a R7800, the connoisseur's router. For an easy life an Orbi system would also be good for someone else.

Be warned, though, that Netgear is messing around with features as it tries to extract money from users with things like Circle and Armor. It has a habit of breaking things in the process. For example, the Nighthawk app lacks some of the features of the older Netgear Genie apps.

If remote management is essential, look for something that can deliver it. Not all routers can.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7