Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGND4000 priority IPs?

jkimbro
Tutor

DGND4000 priority IPs?

Hey all,,

Is there a way to set certain IPs on the network to be a "priority"?   It is just DSL afterall so if there's a battle for bandwidth like maybe the TV is streaming something and there's other traffic going on.  Setting the TV/streaming to priority would, (hopefully), eliminate the buffering.  (in theory)  

Can I do that?

Thanks!

Model: DGND4000|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: DGND4000 priority IPs?

@jkimbro wrote:

Is there a way to set certain IPs on the network to be a "priority"?   It is just DSL afterall so if there's a battle for bandwidth like maybe the TV is streaming something and there's other traffic going on. 

Not sure how DSL comes into it, this is just a network issue.

The thing to look for is QoS, Quality of Service.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Quality of Service Setup .

I have no idea if this will let you prioritise the services you want. I do know that the DGND4000 is an old (2013) DSL Modem Router that lacks many of the bells and whistles of more recent hardware. But that may not matter if your Internet speed is low.

Message 2 of 5
jkimbro
Tutor

Thanks for the response.

DSL comes into it because even GOOD DSL is very limited compared to what might be considered normal "broadband". On a good day I get only 4 meg down!  So, what I was hoping for in prioritizing certain IPs is that when there was a battle for what little bandwidth there is that certain machines or equipment would get first choice.   

I do, typically, consult the manual first. Actually have it bookmarked. It's always quicker and easier than posting and waiting on here unless of course you don't find your answer or it doesn't quite make sense to you.

And, yes, I definitely do know what the router/modem I have is and how old it is.  I actuaaly have an Orbi system and a RAX70 sitting in my entry way ready to be shipped back to Netgear.  After days of attempting, neither I or Netgear support could get them to work.

So again, thank you for the reply.  You didn't know the answer and yet you still took your time and mine in responding!

Message 3 of 5
jkimbro
Tutor

....I will however look at QoS,, again.

Message 4 of 5

@jkimbro wrote:

DSL comes into it because even GOOD DSL is very limited compared to what might be considered normal "broadband".

It isn't the DSL that matters, but the speed of your Internet connection. The technology is irrelevant. Cable and "mobile" might deliver that speed. Had you just said "slow" and mentioned a speed that would have been much more informative and less confusing.

DSL does not automatically mean slow. I have DSL at ~65Mbps. Good enough for most purpose.

It looks like you must have ADSL. Fortunately VDSL is much more common. I think the UK turned off the last ADSL service some years ago.

I actuaaly have an Orbi system and a RAX70 sitting in my entry way ready to be shipped back to Netgear.  After days of attempting, neither I or Netgear support could get them to work.

Hiow did you configure the RAX? As an access point? Or did you put the DGND4000 into bridge mode? It looks like the modem/router does that. It is a lo ng long time since I had one of those. Long dispatched to the great recycling centre in the sky.

I would have expected a RAX router to have finer traffc controls, but at that Internet speed, it might not be that much better. Whatever you choose QoS is designed exactly fie the task that you asked about.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7