Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DM111Pv2 Failing

robinkh1
Tutor

DM111Pv2 Failing

I have a DM111pv2 ADSL modem connected to an Apple Airport Extreme WiFi router.  I has been working fine for years.  Suddenly the connection to the internet failed.  The WiFi router was still working fine, I could connect to other devices on the network, but just not to the internet.

I spoke to my ISP who had me disconnect the router and reset the modem which restored my connection to the internet, but only when the desktop computer was connected directly to the modem.  Reconnecting the router, with the modem in RFC2684 Bridging mode, as it had been previously.  Could not connect to the internet.  ISP help person could not help any more so restored modem to PPPoE and directly connected the desktop to the modem.  Internet connection restored.

All well and good, except I haven't got the internet on my WiFi network.  Does anyone have any ideas what would fix the problem with my modem?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
robinkh1
Tutor

Re: DM111Pv2 Failing

Thanks for your reply.  As it turned out, you were pointing me in the right direction.  All is fixed and we are back on the air again.  Jiminy, don't we rely on the internet these days.

The problem was caused by me some months ago.  I had a need to change my ISP authentication password, but, in my ignorance, I didn't change it in the modem and router.  There must have been a glitch and when the modem reconnected it couldn't authenticate.  When resetting the modem I automatically used my new password, which fixed that part of the problem.  It didn't dawn on me that the router would need it too.  With a bit of reading on the web, I realised that was required too.   Changing the router's password got the wifi router working so we are all happy again now. 

So thanks again for you help.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> ISP help person could not help any more so restored modem to PPPoE and
> directly connected the desktop to the modem. Internet connection
> restored.

If a PPPoE connection works for the computer, then why not configure
the router for that mode?

> [...] what would fix the problem with my modem?

Sounds to me less like a "problem with my modem" and more like a
disagreement between your ISP and the configuration of your modem and
router.

> [...] with the modem in RFC2684 Bridging mode, as it had been
> previously. [...]

Does your (unspecified) ISP believe that that's what they're
expecting?

Message 2 of 3
robinkh1
Tutor

Thanks for your reply.  As it turned out, you were pointing me in the right direction.  All is fixed and we are back on the air again.  Jiminy, don't we rely on the internet these days.

The problem was caused by me some months ago.  I had a need to change my ISP authentication password, but, in my ignorance, I didn't change it in the modem and router.  There must have been a glitch and when the modem reconnected it couldn't authenticate.  When resetting the modem I automatically used my new password, which fixed that part of the problem.  It didn't dawn on me that the router would need it too.  With a bit of reading on the web, I realised that was required too.   Changing the router's password got the wifi router working so we are all happy again now. 

So thanks again for you help.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7