Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DM200 Basic Setup to Router

adzify106
Guide

DM200 Basic Setup to Router

I'm trying to figure out how to setup my DM200 Modem to provide ADSL to my R7000 Router.

Essentially what I want is for the Modem to have an assigned IP of 192.168.0.1 and the Router to be 192.168.0.2 so I can manage both devices. I want the modem to just be a modem and my R7000 to handle DHCP for Ethernet and Wireless assigned IP address.

I have tried Modem Only mode and Modem+Router mode. 'Modem Only' for some reason only allows an IP in a subnet of 192.168.5.1 which means I would have to change subnet everytime I want to check my ADSL upstream/downstream and stats which is ridiculous.

In Modem+Router mode it works but then my expensive Router has to go into AP mode and is a glorified Wireless AP.

The only reason I bought an R7000 was I had fibre ethernet and now I have moved house to an ADSL area which will become VDSL later so I thought the DM200 would do the job.

Am I missing anything or has this device been so poorly designed that it's firmware is making it incompatible with other Netgear products.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: DM200 Basic Setup to Router

I've never touched a DM200, so I know nothing, but, ...

> Essentially what I want is for the Modem to have an assigned IP of
> 192.168.0.1 and the Router to be 192.168.0.2 so I can manage both
> devices.

I don't think that you want that.  In any case, I lean toward ".1"
for the R7000.

> 'Modem Only' for some reason only allows an IP in a subnet of
> 192.168.5.1 which means I would have to change subnet everytime I want
> to check my ADSL upstream/downstream and stats [...]

The 192.168.5.* subnet may be the default.  Are you saying that it
can't be configured to anything else?   (192.168.5.1 is the modem's IP
address, 192.168.5.* is the subnet, by the way.)  Perhaps: ADVANCED >
Setup > LAN Setup?  If it won't let you change the subnet, then you may
be somewhat stuck.

However, even if the DM200 has an address of 192.168.5.1, are you
saying that you can't talk to it at that address from the R7000 LAN
(with its 192.168.0.* subnet)?

> Am I missing anything or has this device been so poorly designed that
> [its] firmware is making it incompatible with other Netgear products.

Perhaps only inconvenient, not actually incompatible, but few Netgear
firmware shortcomings would amaze me.

Message 2 of 4
adzify106
Guide

> Essentially what I want is for the Modem to have an assigned IP of
> 192.168.0.1 and the Router to be 192.168.0.2 so I can manage both
> devices."
 "I don't think that you want that.  In any case, I lean toward ".1"
for the R7000."

I like how I've described to the community what I want to do, but you're telling me that's not what I want.  Why would I want the R7000 as ".1"?  What actual physical difference difference will it make?  For me it's just a memory order of my network:  Internet comes down the pipe to the Modem so first in line is number ".0.1" > then it goes to the Router to be routed to my devices so that's number ".0.2" > all sub-devices connected to my router will be manually assigned IP addresses in order so I know what IP each device should have by memory .3 > .4 > .5 etc etc.  If you can give me a reason why the R7000 has to be 192.168.0.1 that will make this work then i'll consider trying it.

> 'Modem Only' for some reason only allows an IP in a subnet of
> 192.168.5.1 which means I would have to change subnet everytime I want
> to check my ADSL upstream/downstream and stats [...]
  "The 192.168.5.* subnet may be the default.  Are you saying that it
can't be configured to anything else?   (192.168.5.1 is the modem's IP
address, 192.168.5.* is the subnet, by the way.)  Perhaps: ADVANCED >
Setup > LAN Setup?  If it won't let you change the subnet, then you may
be somewhat stuck.  However, even if the DM200 has an address of 192.168.5.1, are you
saying that you can't talk to it at that address from the R7000 LAN
(with its 192.168.0.* subnet)?"

Yes, when the R7000 is on the 192.168.0 subnet then I cannot access the modem on 192.168.5.1

Yes, it can't be configured to anything else in 'Modem Only' mode.  I guess I'm stuck then, but how stupid is that, why let me configure it in 'Modem+Router' mode but not in 'Modem Only'?  Why does it have to be ".5.1" ?

> Am I missing anything or has this device been so poorly designed that
> [its] firmware is making it incompatible with other Netgear products.
   "Perhaps only inconvenient, not actually incompatible, but few Netgear
firmware shortcomings would amaze me."

Sorry I'm not sure how that comment is supposed to help, sounds like making an excuse for Netgear tbh.  A Modem should simply authenticate and pass-through active internet in 'Modem Only' mode to a Router.  If I wanted a Modem-Router then I would buy a god-damn Modem Router.  The way this firmware is crippling the device's abilities (and other Netgear devices on the same network) beggars belief.  All I want to do is pass-through internet to my router to be dished out, I don't need a tiny crappy little box trying to manage my network - I have a Nighthawk to handle that.  It is not inconveniant it is outright stupid, that in 'Modem-Router' mode it won't let the actual Router manage any devices.  I put it into 'Modem Only' mode to voercome this and it won't operate on the same subnet, that is practically the definition of incompatible.  Good firmware should enhance the device's operation and features, not restrict it.  If someone from Netgear's firmware team gave me an actual legit reason as to why it has to be on a different subnet as the router that would amaze me.  How can you manage/administer a network properly if you have to go into your PC network settings JUST TO CHECK THE MODEM STATUS (what should be a 30 second task).  I often have to check my downstream/upstream x3 times a day, each time I would have to manually assign myself an IP and subnet mask, then change it back which would take 5mins, so that would be 15-20mins of my day wasted through poor firmware design. 

I still can't believe this and am hoping someone here can explain how to fix this.  I've been a loyal Netgear fan since the days of the WNDR3300 and have recomended so many Netgear products to friends and family over the years.  But if this type of product is what you are now producing and expecting advanced IT users to deal with then I will be taking my business to ASUS and their Merlin firmware.  If this is your new standard then it is a sad day for Netgear for such a simple product to be so screwed up.  I actually hope I'm wrong and that I've made a mistake somewhere.

Message 3 of 4
antinode
Guru

> [...] Why would I want the R7000 as ".1"?

My concern was whether the DNS names like [www.]routerlogin.net will
work if the router is not at a ".1" address.  I have a dim recollection
of seeing some indications that it won't, but it would be an easy
experiment to run.  I wouldn't expect it to affect the primary problem,
but it might be interesting to run that experiment, too.

> Yes, when the R7000 is on the 192.168.0 subnet then I cannot access
> the modem on 192.168.5.1

What happens when you try?  What's the WAN interface address of the
R7000 when its LAN address is 192.168.0.x, its WAN port is connected to
the DM200, and a Web browser attempt to talk to 192.168.5.1 fails?

> I still can't believe this and am hoping someone here can explain how
> to fix this. [...]

Perhaps the more knowledgeable people were driven away by the
tantrum(s).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7