Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DM200 Setup With BT Infinity

PJ28
Aspirant

DM200 Setup With BT Infinity

Hello. We have a Netgear DM200 modem with BT Infinity Internet and have been having issue’s trying to access certain services and found that it was the Modem that was the culprit. As everything worked fine with the BT SmartHub 6. But when I replaced the ASUS RT-AC5300 router with the DM200 modem, the issues started happening again. At first I thought it was the ASUS router, until I plugged in the chunky BT modem and all the services could be accessed again.

So knowing that it was the DM200, I updated the modem’s firmware to the latest version (1.0.0.56) and did a factory reset on it. Now I am trying to login the modem using the auto detect function and clicking BT as our operator and UK as country. Am putting our correct E-Mail address and password as given by BT, which I have doubled checked in our online account and they are correct, but the modem cannot login to the BT network and keeps saying that the username or password is wrong when it is not.

Also if I do get past the login point, I don’t know if the same problems will return and wondered if the auto detect feature is not putting the correct configuration settings in and wondered if it was better to manually enter them - but don’t know what they are and cannot find them via an internet search.

Just wondering if any other BT Infinity users have had the same issues and how they have overcome the problem?

Many thanks

Peter

Model: DM200 – Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem
Message 1 of 8
Pete10p
Aspirant

Re: DM200 Setup With BT Infinity

I'm having a similar problem.

I have spent hours over the past two days trying to set the DM200 to simply work as a modem.

I'm using  bthomehub@btbroadband.com plus BT as password to login to test the DM200 as a router/modem. It some times completes registration and then drops off. The logs shows a degree of success then failure.

I've configured the unit as modem only in an attempt use it but my main router shows no PPPOE and therefore no internet connection.

I've had to reconnected the BT Home hub as a tempory means of internet access which works fine.

I have upgraded to the latest firmware V1.0.0.5.6 but this makes no difference.

Any suggestions

Pete

Message 2 of 8

@Pete10p wrote:

I'm using  bthomehub@btbroadband.com plus BT as password to login to test the DM200 as a router/modem. 

No password needed. I use my BT email address as the username.

Check the BT user forum for thoughts from many more Infinity users than you will find here.

In my case, I used the Netgear setup wizard to connect to Infinity. Different hardware, but it seems to be generic.

In hate to say it, but the DM200 isn't a trouble free device. It is a pity that the Homehub does not allow modem only operation. As that might be a nicer front end to whatever router you are using.

Message 3 of 8
Pete10p
Aspirant

Pete

I've given up.

I have bought a TP Link TD-W9970 for about the same price as the DM200 and it worked first time.

I agree with you that it would make more sense for the BT Homehub to have a bridge only option.

Pete

Message 4 of 8

@PJ28 wrote:

As everything worked fine with the BT SmartHub 6. But when I replaced the ASUS RT-AC5300 router with the DM200 modem

You replaced a router with a modem?

That doesn't make sense.

The normal procedure would be to put the DM200 (in modem only mode) in front of the router. Or leave the DM200 in modem/router mode and put the ASUS into access point mode.

What is your network layout?

Remember, when playing with a combination of modem and router you have to reboot the network in the right way.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Message 5 of 8
Pete10p
Aspirant

The TP link can be configured as a modem only and it works fine with my main router which is a Pepwave Soho.

With the DM200 I did all the normal things like rebooting the network devices waiting for 2 minutes etc, in every sequence and still the DM200 didn't work.

I only set it up initially as a basic router to see if it would work with Infinity. The log showed it connecting and passing the initial tests and then failing to connect.

Message 6 of 8

@Pete10p wrote:

The TP link can be configured as a modem only ..

I use a Netgear D6400 in modem only mode.

Like I said, the DM200 is what you could call "problematic". (Just search this place.) It can do "modem only" – see the section "Disable the Modem’s Routing Features and Use the Modem as a DSL Modem Only" in the manual – but has frustrated many who have tried it.

Netgear seems to have given up on new DSL modems. Word has it that ISPs try to frustrate third-party modem makers, which is why we end up with carp like the BT Homehub, which will not do "modem only". My second Homehub still sits in its shrinkwrap.

Message 7 of 8
PJ28
Aspirant

Hi Michael.

Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier. I have the line going from the phone box to the DM200 which was hoping to be set to Modem Mode, then a Cat 5 cable going from the DM200 into the RT-AC5300 WAN connection. I did get it to work earlier, but eventually found that the DM200 (even though connected to the Internet) was causing weird problems that I was initially blaming the RT-AC5300 when it was the DM200. As my Harmony Elite hub could not access the Internet and also my Humax YouView box would not display the thumbnails to the programs I recorded. But since connecting the BT chunky white modem to the RT-AC5300. All is fine - apart from the chunky white box!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7