Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DM200 & Centurylink vectoring issues

MH_Studios
Aspirant

DM200 & Centurylink vectoring issues

Centurylink just upgraded our neighborhood with vectoring, and my DM200 modem will no longer connect. The specs for the DM200 show "G.993.5 (Vectoring)", so I assumed it would work. I have always run it in bridge mode with an R7000. I have installed the latest firmware (1.0.0.44). Still no luck.

As a last resort, I have a Centurylink modem that I hooked up, and it had no trouble connecting to their service. Prior to that I even had a tech out to the house to verify that the line to the house was good after the vectoring upgrade was complete. I have set up the DM200/R7000 combo as closely as possible to the Centurylink modem/R7000 combo that works, but the DSL light on the DM200 still won't go green. Has anyone else had issues with Centurylink vectoring and a DM200 modem?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 21
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Sounds like you need to get a refund since the DM200 doesn't work as advertised.

Message 2 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello MH_Studios 

Did you check to see if this was a bonded DSL connection because Netgear modems do not work with bonded connections.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 21
MH_Studios
Aspirant

It is not a bonded DSL line, it is the same service we've had for the last six months and this is the modem I've used for that entire time. The only difference is that Centurylink upgraded the system with vectoring. I am using the Centurylink settings for VLAN and still no luck. The DSL light on the modem remains off no matter how long I leave it hoping it will establish a connection (I have left it for hours). For reference, the Centurylink modem takes about 3 minutes to establish a connection.

Message 4 of 21
w3wilkes
Prodigy

From looking at Centurylink's list of modems that vendors have submitted for Centurylink compatibility I do not believe that Netgear has any consumer devices that they've been willing to get certified. Here's the list of vendor tested devices from Centurylink;

https://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-compatibility-table.html

I had a similar experience with Netgear. When they originally advertised the DGND3700v1 as being VDSL capable I ordered it to find that Netgear had removed VDSL capability from the firmware even though the hardware was capable which has been proven by some 3rd party firmware I now run on the DGND3700v1. I'm just hoping this 3rd party firmware will do the job when Centurylink implements vectoring in my neck of the woods!

Message 5 of 21
bkelly1984
Aspirant

@MH_Studios wrote:

...it is the same service we've had for the last six months and this is the modem I've used for that entire time. The only difference is that Centurylink upgraded the system with vectoring.

I'm having the same problem.  DM200 modem has been working well the past 6 months on CenturyLink VDSL.  They upgraded the system to use vectoring and now the modem will not connect.

Does something need to be enabled for the modem to support vectoring?

Message 6 of 21
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I believe that Netgear will have to upgrade the firmware to get their devices vectoring capable. You should submit a support incident and see if Netgear has any plans to upgrade your device.

https://kb.netgear.com/26905/Creating-a-Support-Case-through-MyNETGEAR?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Message 7 of 21
MH_Studios
Aspirant

So then why does Netgear put this in the DM200 specifications:  "G.993.5 (Vectoring)"? If this does not make the modem capable of vectoring, then the specifications are wrong. I'm using the latest firmware.

Most likely there is a lot that I don't understand about vectoring, but is the modem doing more than just bouncing the signal back to box so they can measure the timing and noise, do their real-time calculations and eventually spit out a signal that helps cancel some of the noise and thus improves the line S/N ratio. I also understand that this is a signal quality upgrade, and not a speed upgrade. What is it about vectoring that seems to be so provider specific?

As a separate, but possibly related issue, the biggest obvious difference in the settings between the DM200 and the Centurylink modem was how the VLAN setting was set. On the Centurylink modem in bridge mode, the VLAN setting is set directly on the modem. When the DM200 is put into bridge mode, the only option is to check a "VLAN passthrough" box, and then the VLAN settings have to be set in the router. I tried this without any luck, but I'm curious if this could cause any issues.

I know I went out on a limb a bit using hardware not on the Centurylink approved list, but the Centurylink gear has historically been of fairly poor quality. I'm just frustrated that Centurylink is not willing to share the required specifications needed to meet for vectoring, and frustrated that Netgear will advertise something that I would expect to work but it doesn't. 

Message 8 of 21
w3wilkes
Prodigy

My DGND3700v1 is a modem/router combo so I set VLAN 201 on the DGND3700v1 directly and it works fine. I guess there's no way to know if Centurylink is vecoring here??

I would say if Netgear advertizes as vectoring supported on your DM200 and it doesn't work you should be able to return it!

Message 9 of 21
cteters
Aspirant

Same boat for me. I picked my DM200 up at Frys in the hope of using it in my service area, but later learned of the vectoring compliancy issue. If anyone learns of a fix or news for the release of future firmware for the DM200, please pass that information along. Thx!

Message 10 of 21
bkelly1984
Aspirant

@bkelly1984 wrote:

They upgraded the system to use vectoring and now the modem will not connect.

Update: I installed the newest firmware and tried a number of different configurations to get my DM200 to connect.  No luck.  It would always flash a yellow light for the DSL connection and say it wasn't connected to a signal.

I purchased a used Zyxel C1100Z, plugged it in, and it connected without a problem.

Looks like CenturyLink and Netgear do not have the same implementation of G.993.5.

Message 11 of 21
MH_Studios
Aspirant

See, that's what is frustrating. I don't understand enough about G.993.5, but I would have assumed (I suppose incorrectly) that a standard is, well, standard. Anyone from Netgear care to elaborate on how their implementation of vectoring could be different than Centurylink's?

Message 12 of 21
Coloradotech
Aspirant

I have the same problem, I called netgear support and they said that they can't help me because when the dsl light flashes amber , there is no signal and I should contact centurylink. I called CL tech and he told me he doubts that the DM200 works with the vectoring technology. I'm upgrading from 20 M to 40 M service
Message 13 of 21
DanMaker
Initiate

I just bought a DM200 and it is working well with CenturyLink and their implementation of Vectoring. I've got Router Firmware Version V1.0.0.44

Message 14 of 21
Kentoleslie
Aspirant

I have the same version of firmware and it’s working.
Message 15 of 21
dfilipiak
Aspirant

I have a year old DM200 and am wondering how to install the latest firmware with the vectoring issue on the DSL coming into the house.  I have borrowed a Centurylink modem that is working fine but would prefer to use the DM200 (since i own it).

Message 16 of 21
Pizounce
Aspirant

If you've been switched over to vectoring, CenturyLink will provide you with a compatible modem free of charge. You can then bridge it and use something you'd rather use behind it.

Message 17 of 21
dfilipiak
Aspirant

I opted for the higher speeds being told the DM200 would work - only found out about the vectoring when it didnt work.  As such, they sold me a modem/router.  I already have a better router and own the DM200.  It looks like if I had the latest firmware update it might work, but I dont know how to access the modem to load the firmware.  Can someone help?

Message 18 of 21
antinode
Guru

> [...] I dont know how to access the modem to load the firmware.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.

Message 19 of 21
chemsal
Initiate

Today is 3/27/18 and I just worked through this issue.  After several months of good performance, my DM200 stopped working after a centurylink system wide upgrade.  After using my cell phone as a hot spot, I found this train.  I downloaded the most recent firmware and loaded it on my DM200.  After rebooting and reconfiguring the modem, I'm back up and running.  Tech support from Centurylink wanted to sell me $100 new modem to fit my issue.  

Message 20 of 21
Elad101
Aspirant

Thanks for the update,
I just did the same.
Let’s hope for the best ..
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 2 kudos