Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DM200 and Seamless Rate Adaptation

Errol99
Aspirant

DM200 and Seamless Rate Adaptation

I have a Netgear DM200 modem running into a Linksys WRT32X router, NBN via FTTN, firmware up to date V.1.0.0.66.  After some dropout issues, my ISP has asked me to reassign the Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA) from Automatic to Dynamic.  I understand from earlier posts that the DM200 supports SRA as it is compliant with G.993.2, and so SRA is enabled by default.  However, there appears to be no setting in the DM200's web UI to change from Automatic to Dynamic.  I've explored the DM200 user manual with no luck.  Where can I change that setting, if able?  Or, does the fact that the DM200 supports SRA mean that it is already 'dynamic'?

Message 1 of 7

Re: DM200 and Seamless Rate Adaptation

@Errol99 wrote:

I understand from earlier posts that the DM200 supports SRA as it is compliant with G.993.2, and so SRA is enabled by default. 

Care to tell us where those earlier posts are?

Netgear devices support many things that don't come with any way to control them. They are built into what they do without user intervention.

After some dropout issues, my ISP has asked me to reassign the Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA) from Automatic to Dynamic. 

ISPs have famously useless tech support that cannot hope to keep up with all the hardware that users throw at it. Start by explaining what the "dropout issues" are and which ISP this is. Then perhaps someone can point you in the right direction.

You could also try this:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DM200 NBN

There is, of course, no such thing as NBN technology.

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It just means "Oz Internet". So you may have to narrow things down in your search for ideas.

Message 2 of 7
Errol99
Aspirant

Thanks

I was relying on these posts ... 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/DM200-and-SRA-Support/m-p/2104211

Background - As I had previous dropout issues (resolved as a faulty copper wire connection issue on the network side), my Australian ISP Spintel was monitoring my line, and their system had detected that my NBN FTTN service (as you mention, "Oz Internet") was below expected speed.  Their monitoring showed that the cause of some more recent dropouts lay in my modem, and that my DM200 should be reconfigured from Automatic to Dynamic in order to resolve the issue.  

So I'm on the hunt to do as they suggest.

Cheers

Message 3 of 7

@Errol99 wrote:

I was relying on these posts ... 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/DM200-and-SRA-Support/m-p/2104211

That seems to answer your question, and has the same comment that I made.

the reason it's not mentioned in UM is that there is no Web UI option for it. The SRA has to be supported for the device to be compliant with ITU-T G. 993.2.

Previous discussions suggest that some ISPs in Oz have implemented DSL standards that Netgear doesn't, and has no plans to, support.

Netgear seems to have abandoned the DSL market so there won't be any new modems from it. Several other device managers seem to have made the same decision.

When they break the technology and leaves customers stranded, responsible ISPs should offer a solution. A replacement modem would be a start.

As the modem is a lesser part of any network, they should offer you a replacement that you can use with your router.

Either that, or the ISP is feeding you a line and something else is messing around with your connection

Message 4 of 7
Errol99
Aspirant

Thank you.  I agree that the DM200 appears to support SRA by default, and that the web UI doesn't seem to offer an option for it.  My ISP also assumes that my DM200 supports SRA.

My question focuses on two possible modes within SRA, being Automatic and Dynamic.  My ISP says I should be able to choose between those modes, but I can't see where any such option is provided with the DM200.  My guess is it doesn't.  In that case I'm interested to know the DM200's default configuration, Automatic or Dynamic?  If it's already Dynamic, I can go back to my ISP to say that this is a false lead to resolve my dropouts.

It might be that my ISP is trying to obfuscate.  Or maybe it's time to upgrade to a VDSL that offers the so-called 'Dynamic SRA'.  Or maybe take the leap to 5G?

Message 5 of 7

Grappling with NBN seems to be a headache. It turns up with problems more often than makes sense.

Unfortunately, there aren't enough regulars here who understand what is happening down under. One place I have looked at with local knowledge is:

Whirlpool Forums

For example:

DM200 Playing Up - Netgear

Seem familiar?

Message 6 of 7
Errol99
Aspirant

Thanks.

Yes, I explored Whirlpool Forums (but didn't post) before turning to the Netgear Community, as I thought maybe the Community might be better acquainted with Netgear stuff.  I'm across the SOS/ROC issue mentioned on Whirlpool but as far as I can see, the firmware updates (up to the current V.1.0.0.66) addressed that.  And that issue wasn't raised by my ISP, so I thought it best to leave that sleeping dog lie.

I think my best next step is to go back to my ISP and say that as far as I know, the SRA settings in the DM200 aren't user configurable, and also as far as I know the DM200's SRA support is NBN FTTN compatible, and ask them to verify that it's not.  As you mentioned before, maybe they're just tying me up with a distraction while the real issue lies elsewhere.

Thanks again.  I'll leave this thread open in case anyone else can shed light on this 'Automatic' and 'Dynamic' SRA configuration question.

Cheers

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7