Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DM200 and X6 Nighthawk issues

leifpedersen
Aspirant

DM200 and X6 Nighthawk issues

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get a Nighthawk X6 router working with a DM200 modem, with the modem in 'modem-only' mode?

The only way I can use the two devices together is if I perform a hard reset on the DM200, connect it to the internet using the setup wizard and then flick it over to 'modem only' mode, then plugging the x6 in.

The problem I have with that is if I lose power, the DM200 no longer can connect itself and the x6 seems to not be able to instruct the DM200 to either. I can't believe two NETGEAR products are so difficult to configure together.

Any help appreciated.

Message 1 of 24
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello leifpedersen

Do you have the latest firmware on both units?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 24
leifpedersen
Aspirant

Yep, both are running latest firmware.
Message 3 of 24
leifpedersen
Aspirant

So, any ideas? Anyone?
Message 4 of 24
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

See my thread on the DM200. It's not just the issues you are facing but you are gonna have other issues given its lack of a true transparent bridge mode. Unsolveable IMO.

Message 5 of 24
leifpedersen
Aspirant

Hey, thanks for your comment. I read your thread and see you're having the exact problem I am. Have you resigned to the fact that the DM 200 just won't work for what we need yet and purchased another device?

Also keen to know if Netgear would replace both my router and the troublesome DM 200 with a product that will actually do what it is meant to...?!?
Message 6 of 24
leifpedersen
Aspirant

I'm thinking the Netgear D8500 all in one unit. But to be honest I'm also thinking of steering clear of Netgear products in future.
Message 7 of 24
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

Netgear has lousy support. You call the 800 number and try to get help and you will find out. They read off manuals and have scripted answers. I called 3x and each time graded the support an F. One did not know the DM200 as far as whether its a modem router or just a modem. 

The support on these boards is also gun shy. They focus on the easy lay up questions and the really tough networking and confifuations ones, they don't bother. You are more likely to get real help from an IT person passing by out of curiosity. 

I can't speak for the other gear vendors but I won't buy another Netgear product again and I have many already. Its just changed as far as rushing products to market and lousy if any support at all.

Message 8 of 24
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

I resolved my case by returning the DM 200 and buying a different brand modem.

Message 9 of 24
KatzWilde
Aspirant

Okay, so let me start off by saying that the Nighthawk X6 that I literally bought brand new not 6 months ago from Costco does not even show on the Model choices when I went to comment on this answer.  I scrolled through and could not find the R7900 Nighthawk X6 anywhere.   Now, having said that, I was looking at this modem as well.  I have slow internet. As in, most days, I pay for 3 Mbps and receive a steady 1.9 on Centurylink DSL.  Having had the same CenturyLink modem for more than 7 years, today the rep told me to buy a new one and that would maybe speed me up to 2 Mbps (yay, me?) so I began to look for a modem only. Not being techy by any means (I am not being modest either), I have no idea what to look for.  I got on Amazon and the DM200 popped up as compatible, but I don't want to lose my Nighthawk x 6 which we REALLY did notice a great speed up for the rest of the house using WiFi once we hooked that up.  So, does anyone have any recommendations for a stand alone DSL MODEM ONLY that would work well with the Nighthawk since I shelled out over $200 for it less than a year ago?  I have read that a separate modem and router is better than a combined one on various sites all day today so would like to go with that since it appears as though all of the combos have a weaker router than this X6 as well.  Any suggestions since you guys seem to know what you are talking about when you say you bought something else?

Message 10 of 24

A new modem is highly unlikely to do anything to improve poor internet speeds. Certainly not when they are that low.

But you can put any ADSL modem at the start of the chain. If there is ever a chance that you will get VDSL, then go for a modem that does both. Actually, it may be hard to get a modern modem that is not simply DSL.

You could look for a modem that states explicitly that it has a "modem only". (My D6400 offers that.) Most modems can host a router, but that might make it easier to set up.

There aren't that many modem only devices around these days. Check this:

DSL Modems | DSL Routers | NETGEAR

Message 11 of 24
KatzWilde
Aspirant

Thanks, MichaelKenward!

I was pretty certain it wouldn't speed up by much but figured the old modem may need replacing and that may just "help" a tweak.  I was looking last night at "modem only"s and they all seem to only have one ethernet port whereas mine has 4.  I only need 2--one for a credit card machine and another for the Nighthawk x6 to plug into.

The likelihood we will ever get internet much better is pretty slim, but one can always hope. We are rural and Centurylink is NOTORIOUS for not upgrading old cables.  The tech who came out yesterday said something about the cables we are using are so old they were not meant for the traffic they are being used for and are at least 20 years old.  Wow.  He said he was going to a house 3 miles closer to town than I am and they are complaining that their 25 Mbps that they pay for is reduced to 10.  He was going to let them know I was running a business on 1.9.  LOL!  I don't know that would make me feel better, but I would KILL for their 10. 

Message 12 of 24

My copper cables are nearer 40 years old, maybe more. They happily carry VDSL at nearly 70 Mbps. But getting BT in the UK to install the kit to make it happen took time and a lot of government pushing, not something that seems to be the pattern in the USA, where the market reigns supreme.

All those LAN ports on the back are the sign of a modem/router. A modem only box will have just the link out to the router. But they are rare. It is probably easier to get an inexpensive modem/router. You should be able to put the credit card machine into the router.

Message 13 of 24
KatzWilde
Aspirant

Oh, phooey.  Thanks for letting me know this!   I hope I just got the right thing. I just ordered the D6400 from Amazon to be delivered tomorrow.  I hope that is the right thing. When I looked at the back of it, it had all of the same connections as mine.  I thought the router was the Nighthawk x6 that I had?  I am sooo not technical so forgive my ignorance.  I have a Zyxel PK5001Z is what I currently have that was issued to us by Centurylink.  So are you thinking this D6400 won't work? My luck.

On the cables, I am almost positive that the phone man who came out to our business yesterday told me that the cables were 40 year old and copper like you mentioned yours were, but then I second guessed myself and said he had to have said 20. He said they weren't meant to carry the heavy load that they were currently carrying for the number of people further out than I live.  I don't know if that is true or not because I don't know enough about what is in my own home to agree or disagree let alone know what a cable can or can't do, so I take your word for it! 🙂 The phone repairman said Centurylink is notorious for buying up cheap areas that have older systems and then just patching here and there to "make it work for  now" rather than installing newer and better lines.  I Google'd Centurylink on that and sure enough, it mentioned their cheapness on several sites. We are holding out hope that the new road coming in out in front of our office has a not so savvy road guy that nicks the cable and they have to replace it and upgrade us, but DH said that in that situation, they would probably still "patch it".  ha!

Message 14 of 24
adzify106
Guide

Message 15 of 24
adzify106
Guide

I find in 'Modem-Only' mode it forces the Modem onto a different subnet than my R7000 which is so dumb, means everytime I want to check on my ADSL connection I have to manually assign IP and submnet mask, login to Modem, then change all my settings back.  I mean really, doing that x3 times a day, what an effing waste of time and such poor firmware design.  If I try to get around this and go into 'Modem-Router' mode and put it on the same subnet, the only way it will work is if I disable DHCP on the R7000 as the stupid little Modem wants to manage my network, what's the point of buying an expensive R7000 if this little shi*t*box thinks it can do a better job?

Such poor, poor design work and still no response for an issue that's been reported back in May 2017.  Think i'll take my business to ASUS and their Merlin Firmware, firmware should enhace a device, not give users such headaches and time-wasting like this.

Wow.... just wow.....reading through other user comments, is anyone from Netgear actually monitoring these forums?

You would think they might want to do something when the current fix is "Return the Netgear modem and buy a competitors product."

WAKE UP NETGEAR!

Message 16 of 24
KatzWilde
Aspirant

I had a geek out to work on some other issues on my computer and he hooked up the modem for us at the same time.  He agreed, it wouldn't speed up the internet at all, but he said I at least wouldn't have to shut the modem off 2xs or more a day.  The old modem just failed miserably for the last 4 or 5 years where you would have to turn it off and on to reset it so the entire house could use internet.

I noticed late last night though that the internet was struggling (no big surprise there) to non-existent (again, no big surprise) but I looked over and the geek had left the wireless on the new Netgear94--so that the internet had 2 routers going at the same time.  I don't know if that makes a difference, but I turned off the Netgear94 and ended up going to bed waiting for the internet to come back on (again, no surprise face here) when I got up this a.m. it was working, albeit, still slow.  

I am not as tech as you are adzify106, so I think that my needing to do all that you were referring to would be a long shot that it ever happened.  I just need my internet to work and don't care how it goes about doing it or what needs to be done to get it to perform. Living in a rural area with no options other than slow broadband (whcih the geek told me Centurylink is notorious for "throttling"??) or satellite, I am limited in what I can and can't expect.  😞

Message 17 of 24

These network addressing issues can be down to how people set up their networks. You have to do things in the right order to get the network's IP addresses properly allocated.

This means starting the modem first, with everything else disconnected or turned off. Then add the other stuff.

The QuickStart guide for the DM200 explains what has to happen. It is one of the things at the end of this link:

>>> DM200 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Forgive me for repeating things that you may have done already, but other people may stumble in here in search if help.

Message 18 of 24
KatzWilde
Aspirant

I agree with you. To answer your question as to whether Netgear monitors these customer comments, you know they do.  BUT this being what it is, we all bought it and some just threw it out ($$)while others returned and purchased another brand or possibly something else Netgear.  Either way, Netgear made money off 1 of the 2.  That is what they are into- The business of making money. Not providing good products! LOL! 

For them to create something that worked well with both systems, and was user friendly would mean they would lose money in the end. We would all hang on to working stuff as opposed to "just getting by" with stuff that works rather than try something new when it came out. I am like most of the public. I don't know how this stuff works so I have to rely on internet chat rooms or A GEEK to come out and install stuff for me (I can install a modem/router, he was here for other comptuer issues so he just did it) and we are the ones who would need the system to work without us having to visit boards to figure out what the heck is going on and how to just GET IT TO WORK without our taking a basic course in modem/routers and how they work.  Pitiful. 

Message 19 of 24
KatzWilde
Aspirant

MichaelKenward.  Agreed!  I have no clue what the geek did when he set mine up, but you are absolutely right when you say that things have a certain order in which they have to be done when hooking up modems/routers.  I do know that much. I always try to look online (like here) and read through the 1 page manual (Ha!) and then between the 2, I use suggestions such as yours and what the manual says and then when I can't get it hooked up, I usually call support.  Except for the fact that lately, the support is in another country that barely speaks English, OR , my personal favorite, the last one I did was a "chat support" and it lets you know up front that it is being translated FROM English to another language and as such, if you know something doesn't translate across languages (I am assuming they mean slang words or phrases that don't translate?) then those things need to be placed inside quotations and they won't be translated.  What?  Could drive a person to drink.

Message 20 of 24
adzify106
Guide

That's not correct, from my troubleshooting and according to the product manual the only IP that can be assigned when in 'Modem-Only' Mode is 192.168.5.1

"These network addressing issues can be down to how people set up their networks."

That is the problem, I want to integrate the DM200 into my existing network on subnet 192.168.0.1

Bit hard to address the issue when the issue is built into the firmware!

It doesn't matter what order you turn off/on the modem, it will always allocate that 192.168.5.1 subnet.

Message 21 of 24
KatzWilde
Aspirant

Adzify,

So is this why my internet may still not be working well even with this new modem/router?  I should be on 192.168.0.1 as well.  

Again, I am not internet / tech savvy in the slightest so even if it were my issue, why would the "geek" who came to remedy other issues and who hooked this up not have known/noticed that?  He didn't open the manual that I know of.  😞

@adzify106 wrote:

That's not correct, from my troubleshooting and according to the product manual the only IP that can be assigned when in 'Modem-Only' Mode is 192.168.5.1

"These network addressing issues can be down to how people set up their networks."

That is the problem, I want to integrate the DM200 into my existing network on subnet 192.168.0.1

Bit hard to address the issue when the issue is built into the firmware!

It doesn't matter what order you turn off/on the modem, it will always allocate that 192.168.5.1 subnet.

Message 22 of 24
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

The DM200 does not run in true bridge mode and will never work. Instead of wasting time return it and get a different one. I had the same problems and then returned it and replaced with a lower cost  Zyzel modem and it worked on first install. I dont have time to explain it to you. You can read my and other peoples posts on the topic. I have no other comments.

Message 23 of 24
KatzWilde
Aspirant

GearNetRouter

Thanks!  If I decide to get a new router, I will look at other boards for comments.  I can't return it because I bought it off Amazon.  Bummer.

I just got rid of the Zyxel modem that I had for years through Centurylink.  It never worked well at all with any of my Netgear stuff and got worse as it got older/once I got the NightHawk, so I am glad it works well for you! 🙂

Thanks again!

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7