Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DM200 firmware 1.0.0.61 breaks "Modem-Only" mode

gavin20
Tutor

DM200 firmware 1.0.0.61 breaks "Modem-Only" mode

Hello,

The latest DM200 firmware breaks modem-only mode while using DHCP / VDSL / VC settings. The WAN ip address doesn't get assigned, remains 0.0.0.0 even though connection statistics shows valid up/down connection. I tried using my R7000 as a router directly and also PFSENSE appliance, both were unable to aquire a valid WAN ip address.

My workaround solution was downgrading DM200 firmware to 1.0.0.34. Instantly resolved my issue after downgrade, no changes to settings.

Could you review the latest firmware and correct? I'd like to take advantage of the latest security & performance features. Thanks

Model: DM200|Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in the DSL modem forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-dsl-modems-routers

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@gavin20 wrote:

The latest DM200 firmware breaks modem-only mode while using DHCP / VDSL / VC settings. The WAN ip address doesn't get assigned, remains 0.0.0.0 even though connection statistics shows valid up/down connection. I tried using my R7000 as a router directly and also PFSENSE appliance, both were unable to aquire a valid WAN ip address.

We experience the same issue here @DexterJB  - please rush to PQA and engineering. 

Message 3 of 10
MrAdam
Aspirant

This issue is frustrating. Does anyone have an update?

It seems a bit illogical to roll back firmware updates to increase functionality, especially if they contain security patches.
Message 4 of 10
itactech
Initiate

Still got this issue
Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@ChristineT is there anybody that cares about issues in Netgear? Here we have a device supposed to be a MODEM which does come by default in a ROUTER configuration why ever (with limited controls, see also the recent LB2120 discussion - similar "design"), and does simply not work in MODEM mode. Does Netgear expect that customers going the way and pay for a looong and endless support call for going over clumsy "Factory reset" scripted "assistance" just wasting everybody time?

Message 6 of 10

What symptoms do you see?

I have this firmware on my DM200.

It works in modem-only without any problem.

You could try reflashing with DM200-V1.0.0.61.img to see if it was an incomplete flash first time around.

Message 7 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward see above posts from July. We had to replace all DM200 after days of investigation and frustration by ZyXEL devices (essentially fully blown WiFi routers re-configured to modem mode) to regain reliable xDSL (most VDSL2) connectivity for our security appliances.

Message 8 of 10

Just in case you missed it:

I have this firmware on my DM200.

It works in modem-only without any problem.

Message 9 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward it was working fine before updating to that "latest" firmware, too. Figure. Zero time and patience wasting more time with the ignorant Netgear consumer business unit. This "adventure" created me expenses beyond of 10kUSD for device replacements. The DM200 does come - compeared to alternate vendors from A like AVM zo Z as ZyXEL with ZERO troubleshooting, monitoring, and debugging options. Waste of time. Anybody need some DM200? No, I won't sell them - it's not worth it.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7