Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DM200 modem is not working correctly in bridge mode

matrix4767
Aspirant

DM200 modem is not working correctly in bridge mode

Hoping someone could help me, ever since I changed from my stock Optus modem to this I am unable to use my Wemo devices or cameras remotely as it seems they are being blocked, I've tried opening ports and their IP's aren't being blocked, I'm definately missing something! Any help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 28
Loudog2
Apprentice

Just to clarify, you still have a modem connected before the router correct?

Message 2 of 28
matrix4767
Aspirant

Correct, I have a Netgear DM200.

Message 3 of 28
schumaku
Guru

Unles something ha changed the last few weeks, the DM200 does _not_ serve as a plain tranparent Modem - much more it seems to do some crazy MAC based handling (like a L2 "router") prohibiting any incoming connections from the Internet. Complain to the Netgear Customr Service, consider to replace the DM200 by a DSL modem that works fully transparent.

@ChristineT - do we have any update on this DM200 design an implementaiton issue?

Message 4 of 28
matrix4767
Aspirant

Hi, are you saying even though the DM200 is connected to the R9000 as bridge mode, modem only it is still determining what can and can't pass through it?

Message 5 of 28
schumaku
Guru

Exactly. It does prohibit establishing IP, UDP, ... whatever from the DSL to the LAN upa dn including 1.0.0.44 formware. Happened to many DM200 users - replacing by a similar Modem of a competitive brand fixed the issue immediately (serach for: DM200 ZyXEL). Have a complete test set-up with a private DSLAM, DM200, ... sent zillions of notes and notifications ot Netgear (including some good friends at the NTGR SMB products management team in San Jose [it's not thier business however...]), to the R9000 product manager Alex in Taipei - never got a single feedback, no connection to the PM or product engineeer in charge. Silence. Feel like an i***t.

Message 6 of 28
matrix4767
Aspirant

Wow, seems a bit rediculous that a $60 modem can cripple a router 10 times the price and of the same brand, maybe my old ISP supplied modem/router combo wasn't that bad after all!

Message 7 of 28
TheEther
Guru

@schumaku, just to confirm, you are saying that setting ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Device Mode to Modem (Modem only) doesn't put it into bridge mode?

Message 8 of 28
schumaku
Guru

@TheEther ...it does put in in a bridge mode, however it's not fully transparent - especially for connections established from the Internet to the LAN side. One proof that it does play L2 (L3?) games is the fact that it can still be managed from the LAN interface side on it's 192.168.5.1(/24) address - what is a nice feature of course. I suspect they use similar technology as on the WIFI Extenders ... 

Message 9 of 28
TheEther
Guru

A modem can be fully transparent and still listen for its own IP address.  My old Motorola SB6141 cable modem was like this.  Managed switches and extenders are like this.  So, there needs to be some other proof.

Message 10 of 28
schumaku
Guru

Other proof? It's a bug as simple as that - nothing to add. And it's ignored for many months.

On switches, there is always a CPU port - so this works a little bit different.

Message 11 of 28
TheEther
Guru

Saying that there's a bug doesn't make it so.  I'm just interested in seeing your evidence.  One of your posts says you had a test setup.  Do you have packet captures taken from both sides of the modem?  That would be definitive proof.

Message 12 of 28
matrix4767
Aspirant

Ok, if I was to change the DM200 back to router mode, eliminate the R9000 completely for now, check the firewall on the DM200 and make sure the ports are open, would that be worth doing?

Message 13 of 28
TheEther
Guru

It's certainly worth a shot, unless that is known to be broken.

Message 14 of 28
matrix4767
Aspirant

Hi, I don't know much about this stuff, but I can VPN tunnel in, meaning I was able to open a custom service port to allow this through the R9000 with the modem in bridge mode - would this suggest the fault isn't with the modem or router?

Message 15 of 28
schumaku
Guru

There is no way to be picky on other community members here @TheEther: We are the customers here.

Evidence is that TCP sessions were not possible to establish through the DM200 in bridge mode DSL->intermediate network->Router. That's sufficient for now. As Netgear did not care about other community users expriencing the same issue, many reports, and proof and nobody had the butt to reply, I'm not willing to nurse the Netgear Consumer BU anymore ref. the DM200 - we successfully continue to deploy DSL modems which are working as DSL modems (bridges) in a transparent and reliable way. Still plenty of issues on the same BU leading edge and non-inxpensive R9000 - at least there is a person in charge talking to us.

If expriencing issues where incomng connections from the Internet to the router and/or ports forwarded on the ruter are never established, replace the DM200 by an alternate DSL modem - and it will work right away.

For the sake if it - read the DM200 VDSL Modem - Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem. Yes, a Modem. The DM200 does come configured as a ROUTER, the user manual is full with ROUTER information. And virtually nothing on the installation, configuration, troubleshooting, or on how to continue the monitoring/maintenance of the DM200 in bridge mode. Of course - the wonderful Netgear routers don't have any config option to make it possible. Figure: Fail!

Edit: Should anybody care: I'm willing to bring up dedicated VDSL (by Swisscom BBCS) with two or three ISPs, a DM200, routers, and some test target on the LAN for proof and troubleshooting. But only if we're handled as customers. And not simply ignored. 

PS. Why does this forum crap software block the browser side spelling check is beyond me, too.

Message 16 of 28
matrix4767
Aspirant

Well I gave it a try, turned off bridge mode on the DM200 and turned on AP mode on the R9000, opened up all the ports on the DM200 and got a faint heart beat but in the end wouldn't work.

I then removed the DM200 out of the equation and replaced it with an old Optus modem/router, everything came to life.

So basically I now have an expensive wifi access point being routed by an old ISP's modem/router! AWESOME! Oh, and a paper weight!

Message 17 of 28
matrix4767
Aspirant

Ok, found an old iiNet modem/router that could be put into modem only mode, all good now - DM200 clearly has something wrong with it.

Message 18 of 28
ddd345
Guide

Have been using Centurylink DSL with Netgear ADSL modem in bridging mode and Netgear 6300v2 router.  Was an easy setup and the two worked well together.  Decided to upgrade to Centurylink VDSL for the higher speeds.  Have been happy with Netgear so purchased the DM200 modem and attempted bridging mode with 6300v2 router.  Played around with various settings but 6300v2 never could establish an internet connection while modem was in bridging mode.  Modem eventually went bonkers and had to be reinitialized.  Have it working with modem as router.  Very dissatisfied.  My time is precious and the results are not what I was looking for.  Purchase the CenturyLink modem which is also fool proof for vectoring if the dslam gets upgraded.  The DM200 is pretty much a throw away product.

Message 19 of 28
ddd345
Guide

I read through some forums today and decided to give this one last try.  This is what I did.  Let the Dm200 go through the initial setup in modem/router mode and connect on the internet.  Power down my external router.  Set the DM200 to modem only with vlan box unchecked and applied settings.  Powered down the modem for 2 minutes.  Powered up the modem and waited for all lights to green up.  Connected the external router and powered it up.  Back in the router I set it for PPOE with proper credentials.  I have internet...but quickly locked up.  Power cycled the router.  On restore I have router internet access, stable, with the modem in modem only (bridging) mode.  Thanks to all who wrote forum messages.

Message 20 of 28
Muzzerboy
Aspirant

It sort of works in "router + modem" mode - but why would you buy a box with only one outlet and use it as a router? There's nothing else there - no USB, wifi or anything. But even so, if you now change the operating mode to "modem only", it refuses to even connect up. You might ask why not just use it in router + modem mode, not thinking of the issues with port forwarding etc. I have a router to do that for me and naively thought the DM200 was a broadband modem. But what would I know.

So I bought a modem that isn't a modem. Or is it a router with only one port. Absolutely flabbergasted that Netgear are actually selling a product like this. Similar concepts such as "chocolate teapot", "chocolate fireguard" etc come to mind. 

I have my return note (RMA) now and this will be going back tomorrow for a refund. I've ordered a Vigor instead. What kind of idiots do they have running the dev and mktg teams at Netgear these days? Thanks for wasting several hours of my life. Don't expect any more business from me in the near future.

Message 21 of 28
matrix4767
Aspirant

I ended up getting a D-Link N300 router a couple of weeks ago, as my previous solution to replace the DM200 (an old iiNet BoB lite, finally packed it in!) I overlooked the N300 originally as it was more than I really needed as I had the Nighthawk X10.

Plugged it in, chose bridge mode, the Nighthawk found it and it works perfectly!
Message 22 of 28
TheGaryB
Aspirant

This solution worked for me too. Updated DM200 firmware to 1.0.0.52. Entered my Plusnet user creds on the R8500 and then powered it down. Connected PC to DM200 and setup VDSL internet connection using the Netgear Genie utility. Once connected, switch over to Modem only mode (do not tick VLAN box) and then reboot. Once back online with 2 green lights (bottom light is LAN) power on the R8500. Router automatically used my Plusnet creds on boot and everything is hunky dory. I have a Synology NAS connected to the R8500. Successfully tested external access for FTP and all running DSM apps (audio and video). Tested IPv6 for Xbox and that's working too. Suspect issues others report maybe due to bug/s with older out-of-the-box firmware. So far so good Netgear!
Model: DM200 – Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem
Message 23 of 28
dennis5pia
Aspirant

Is your ISP PPPPA or PPPOE? ADSL or VDSL?
Message 24 of 28
TheGaryB
Aspirant

My ISP (Plusnet) in the UK is using PPPoe for fibre  broadband.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7