Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DM200 modem

Iacon
Aspirant

DM200 modem

I just bought the Netgear DM200 modem.

My ISP is BT, I'm on 'super fast broadband'

I cannot get the modem to connect with the internet. I've used the genie and the standard BT PPPoE login, but it doesn't seem to want to connect.

I don't really undertand the difference between ADSL/VDSL etc. But I'm starting to suspect my DM200 modem isn't compatible with my BT internet connection.

Can anyone shed some light on where I might be going wrong?

Many thanks, iain
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

@Iacon wrote:

I get through the netgear genie but it tells me I'm using an Incorrect ISP username or password. I've tried 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com'
'Btbroadband@btbroadband.com'
'Bthomehub@bthomehub'

It might have helped had you given us that information sooner. Especially the message "Incorrect ISP username or password".

Try your BT email address. Usually something like yourname@btinternet.com.

Having said that, this is puzzling.

The LEDs look good. All three on.

Sounds like you are connected. But what colour are the LEDs? It matters.

Your first message said: "I cannot get the modem to connect with the internet." Where do you see this message "Incorrect ISP username or password"?

What else is on your network? The DM200 is a basic modem/router. To get it to work with a grown up router you need to change some settings.

Help us out here. Provide detailed information. Dribbling it out a bit at a time will only prolong your frustration.

There is support for the DM200, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> DM200 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies

@Iacon wrote:

I don't really undertand the difference between ADSL/VDSL etc. But I'm starting to suspect my DM200 modem isn't compatible with my BT internet connection.

Works fine here. VDSL is the "Infinity" stuff, anything about around 8 Mbps, which is ADSL.

The setup wizard should detect BT internet.

What does this bit mean?

@Iacon wrote:

I cannot get the modem to connect with the internet. I've used the genie and the standard BT PPPoE login, but it doesn't seem to want to connect.

What do the LEDs do in the process?

What are you doing to connect?

Remember that BT does not need a password for Internet access. The username is your BT email address, although that may not matter either.

@Iacon wrote:

My ISP is BT, I'm on 'super fast broadband'

Heaven only knows what BT means by that marketing crap. How fast is it supposed to be? And what hardware does BT provide? One of the dreaded Homehubs?

Message 2 of 5
Iacon
Aspirant

Thanks for looking at this Michael. Good to know it SHOULD work.

Re: What does this bit mean?

@Iacon wrote:

And re: What do the LEDs do in the process?

I get through the netgear genie but it tells me I'm using an Incorrect ISP username or password. I've tried 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com'
'Bthomehub@bthomehub'

All with no pw or Bt as password.
I don't change the VLAN that's the default in the box (101).

Sometimes it doesn't say password wrong, it just says
''Problem detecting the internet connection.

I'm totally confused. It should not be this hard...
Message 3 of 5

@Iacon wrote:

'Bthomehub@bthomehub'

It might have helped had you given us that information sooner. Especially the message "Incorrect ISP username or password".

Try your BT email address. Usually something like yourname@btinternet.com.

Having said that, this is puzzling.

Sounds like you are connected. But what colour are the LEDs? It matters.

Your first message said: "I cannot get the modem to connect with the internet." Where do you see this message "Incorrect ISP username or password"?

What else is on your network? The DM200 is a basic modem/router. To get it to work with a grown up router you need to change some settings.

Help us out here. Provide detailed information. Dribbling it out a bit at a time will only prolong your frustration.

There is support for the DM200, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> DM200 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Message 4 of 5
Iacon
Aspirant

Thanks Michael,
Yes I hear you on password. I should be clear - its not always a password issue, it still didnt connected. I was getting a message
'Problem detecting the Internet connection'
and also sometimes
something about failing to establish a PPPoE connection.

As mentioned I've used all the various combinations of bthomehub@bt....... passwords from these forums. I hadnt tried my own name@btbroadband.com as this email was chucked away years ago. Further to your suggestion I tried the basic guess which didnt work, I'm checking with BT what that email would have beenand can try that when I have it.

Trying to give you more detail:
All three lights come on green. All looks well on the DM200.

I plan to use this with a Nighthawk, but initially I am setting it up just going direct by ethernet cable from DM200 to my laptop as per the quick start instructions.

Additionally when I place the homehub back in as a modem (i.e. replacing the DM200) and connect HH to the nighthawk in the same way I intend to use the DM200, all works ok, so internet connection to the house is working/stable.

In terms of what I do - as per quick start instructions from DM200 I open a browser, and Netgeargenie pops up. I click through after answering questions about location/ISP provider and whether I want simple setup.
The Genie then completes some checks on my Network connection/ISP then asks for Username/Password and two other items I dont think I need to change (VLAN pre-set to 101, and a service option for internet TV). Once entered it again runs some program presumably establishing connection. Takes quick a few minutes, then chucks me back to the start of the Genie/Wizard. Message is always one of;
-ISP password incorrect
-Cannot establish PPPoE connection
-Problem detecting the Internet connection
I cannot for the life of me establish a link between what I do, what username/passwords I use, and which of the three messages I get.

One thing that concerns me that may be related - I don't get asked for the login/password of the DM200 itself. I wonder if the login for this could be getting blocked by a firewall or something?

I'm not sure what more info I can give you. I'm clearly no techy but have followed the instructions carefully and theres no obvious issue. Can send screenshots if my explanation is poor.
Will check up on the manual recommendation now - thanks for that.

Any ideas are very welcome!
Do Netgear provide any in house support that can walk through it on the phonedo you know?
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7