Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DM200 preventing GlobalProtect VPN connection

HansenStem
Tutor

DM200 preventing GlobalProtect VPN connection

Our DM200 modem is preventing Globalprotect VPN form connecting to the internet.

When using our modem/router set up GP will connect, but when I try to access any internet site it times out and says that the site took too long to respond or the DNS server could not be found.

Other VPNs do not have this problem, they work just fine.

I have worked with my IT department and my ISP. Switched out routers. Tried a combo modem/router (that worked fine, but it has very limited range in our apartment and is not ideal). After everything, we have narrowed it down to an issue between the DM200 and GP. 

I have not found a straightforward or definitive solution for this online. 

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Model: DM200|Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem
Message 1 of 8

@HansenStem wrote:

Our DM200 modem is preventing Globalprotect VPN form connecting to the internet.

How is the DM200 configured? By default it arrives in modem/router mode, but the router features are pretty basic. Better to put it into modem only mode and then to feed a better router.

In my case, it sits in front of a proper router, an R7800.

If you require anything sophisticated, you may have to get a router that is compatible with the VPN you plan to use.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

DSL Modems & Routers

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

Message 2 of 8
HansenStem
Tutor

The DM200 has been configured to be in modem only mode. We have a Nighthawk R7000 as a proper router.

We thought the nighthawk was the problem, so we got a TP-link router, and the same issue happened. This was when we plugged my work laptop directly into the DM200, and internet was fine with the GP VPN off, and then when I enabled it, the same issue happened. There was an internet connection, but any attempt to load a webpage was unsuccessful. 

My husband's company uses Cisco AnyConnect for their VPN, and that is not blocked. Neither is our ExpressVPN. It's just GlobalProtect when using the the DM200 as a modem. I do not have the option to use a different VPN.

My work IT department and our ISP have not been helpful as they just say it's a fault they can't resolve on their end. 

I would like to avoid buying a new modem if this is simply a setting/firmware issue that we can fix on our end. 

Message 3 of 8

You seem to have done a lot of research into what is going on. But I remain to be convinced that the DM200 is the cause of the problem, as this is not doing any "routering". Effectively, the traffic goes through without touching the sides.

The only way to confirm that would be to see what happens with a different modem. Unfortunately, the DSL modem market is a mess. It is almost impossible to buy a modem-only box these days.

Not being familiar with GlobalProtect, I don't have a clue as to how it works in comparison with AnyConnect or ExpressVPN, but the fact that these have not problems points my suspicion at the implementation of the VPN.

It is very easy to assume that one bit of kit, such as the DM200, is the sole source of problems but a quick search suggests that the DM200 is not the only bit of kit that has problems with GlobalProtect.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – GlobalProtect

That these issues involve routers is more logical to me than blaming a modem.

GlobalProtect seems to be one of the few people you haven't asked for help. Does it also have a user forum where you could see advice?

Message 4 of 8
HansenStem
Tutor

Yeah, we did a deep dive into the Global Protect posts here and tried everything they suggested, with no luck. This was when we connected my laptop directly to the modem and realized the problem was still present when we elimiated the router.

I hadn't reached out to Global Protect because my IT department was adamant that it was not an issue with the VPN. I am going to go look at the forums now.

Additionally, I think we should be able to easily change our TP-link modem/router into just a modem and see if that works. If it doesn't work, then we've tried different routers and modems from different manufacturers and I can then confidently reach out to Global Protect (and probably my IT department) and tell them it is clearly a VPN issue that they should be able to resolve.

The Reddit community for Palto Alto (Global Protect) seems very responsive, so I will probably also search/post there and see if they have any insight. 

Thank you for your help!

Message 5 of 8

@HansenStem wrote:

Additionally, I think we should be able to easily change our TP-link modem/router into just a modem and see if that works.

Sounds like a good move. If nothing else, it would help to eliminate issues with the VPN and your ISP.

Isn't it great when IT departments, ISPs, hardware makers and the like pass the buck around at lightning speed?

Those community  messages do suggest that there is a problem with Global Protect and that it isn't just the modem that causes them.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 8
Beratnas
Aspirant

@HansenStem did you have any luck resolving this issue? I'm experiencing the exact same issue with my work laptop. I'm able to access the internet without GlobalProtect VPN enabled, but once the VPN is connected, I'm not able to access internet.

Message 7 of 8
HansenStem
Tutor

Sadly no. We tried everything we could, every proposed solution from the internet and my IT department, and it never worked. Our solution was to give into Telekom and buy a Fritzbox and now we have no problems.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7