Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DSL modem DM200: Is there a replacement for the modem?

OkieHick
Aspirant

DSL modem DM200: Is there a replacement for the modem?

For the past month or so my internet has started dropping intermittantly for 1-3 mintes at a time all devices (ethernet and WiFi). I have replaced the router with no effect. Is there a replacement for this modem which is no longer manufactured?

Message 1 of 9
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: DSL modem DM200: Is there a replacement for the modem?

In a word, no. If you can find a used one on ebay or something like a D7000v2 can be set to modem only like the dm200. About the only other choice if you want something different than what the ISP provides is to look for a modem/router device. It's a good thing Netgear doesn't sell these things anymore, Netgears support for these devices has been non-existent. Looks like ASUS makes some xDSL modem/routers that are current technology including wifi 6 (AX) capable.

Message 2 of 9

@w3wilkes wrote:

In a word, no. If you can find a used one on ebay or something like a D7000v2 can be set to modem only like the dm200.

Spot on there, but my experience using a more.router in modem-only mode was not good, which is why I switched to the DM200. (I had to go to the "open box" market when I needed a second mode, and ended up with something that looked brand new.)

The problem with using a D6400 in modem only mode in front of an R7800 router was that after a power cut, the D6400 took so long to negotiate an Internet connection and sign in that by then the R7800 had timed out and abandoned the task. That left me with a dead network. That's fine when you are around to manually start things, but not good if you are away.

Netgear isn't the only brand that has waved goodbye to the DSL modem market. Talking to a network technician here in the UK, he said that OpenReach, supplier of most network access, had told ISPs to supply only modem/routers. This was already common practice with most of them. I guess they had seen too many complaints from people who did not know how to manage two devices at the same time.

So, a second hand DM200 might be a good idea. There are plenty of them around, often at silly prices.

Or put one of the few remaining modems from another brand in front of a decent router,

The problem with modem/routers is that they rarely have the features of standalone routers. They also leave you stranded if you change your Internet technology. Experienced users seem to prefer separate boxes.

Message 3 of 9
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Fro@michaelkenward wrote:

The problem with modem/routers is that they rarely have the features of standalone routers. They also leave you stranded if you change your Internet technology. Experienced users seem to prefer separate boxes.

From what I see over on the Small Network Builder forum the ASUS modem/routers seem to keep up with their non-modem siblings. eg; DSL-AX82U  -  RT-AX82U. There's a couple of folks that do mod firmwares for both these devices (and other similar pairs) and ASUS provides some support for these guys.

Message 4 of 9

@w3wilkes wrote:

There's a couple of folks that do mod firmwares for both these devices (and other similar pairs) and ASUS provides some support for these guys.

The enthusiasts who cook up thirdy party firmware seem to avoid Netgear's modems. Plenty of router hackers around, but not modem/routers.

Message 5 of 9
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@michaelkenward wrote:The enthusiasts who cook up thirdy party firmware seem to avoid Netgear's modems. Plenty of router hackers around, but not modem/routers.

I can't say that I blame them for avoiding Netgear! The last third party firmware I've seen for a Netgear modem/router was for the DGND3700v1. That firmware was rock solid, I had a DGND3700v1 that was remote / unattended for 8 months of every year. I could always access LAN devices on that router remotely, it NEVER crashed! Too bad Netgear seems incapable of providing reliable firmware for their modem/router devices. I guess it's a good thing Netgear doesn't sell them anymore. I replaced that DGND3700v1 a week ago with a D7000v2 (firmware V1.0.0.76_1.0.1) which seems to have much better wifi strength and speed. The issue is over the last 7 days this D7000v2 has locked up completely 5 times, all router lights are normal white except for the wifi lights quit blinking and I'm unable to access the webUI either ethernet or wifi. I have to power cycle the D7000v2 to get it back running again. Today I did a full factory reset and reconfigured it manually from scratch. If the D7000v2 craters again I'll put the DGND3700v1 back in service while I find another brand modem/router, probably look over in ASUS land where you can get actual support from the company and a 24 month warranty!

Message 6 of 9
OkieHick
Aspirant

It seems as though cable routers are about the only thing available at the Best Buy, Walmart etc etc etc. Apparently landline connections are no longer cool. I ended up doing the facotry resent on the DM200, ran the ethernet cable straight into the computer bypassing the router and then did the modem setup.  Once it was all set up and running, I ran the modem cable into the new R6850 router. I get an occassional disconnect for 1-2 minutes at a time but so far it's tolerable. My ISP says that there are no interruptions at their end.

Message 7 of 9

@OkieHick wrote:

It seems as though cable routers are about the only thing available at the Best Buy, Walmart etc etc etc. Apparently landline connections are no longer cool.

Cable and DSL are different things. It is DSL that is "no longer cool" in that ISPs are ditching it in favour of other technologies/

What you won't get at BestBuy, or anywhere else it seems, are DSL modem only boxes. There are still some DSL modem/routers on the shelves.

One reason why modem-only boxes are dying is that some ISPs, like those in the UK, are under orders from the network operators to supply modem/routers rather than standalone modems. I got that from one of the network technicians.

I ended up doing the facotry resent on the DM200, ran the ethernet cable straight into the computer bypassing the router and then did the modem setup. 

One of the few uses of a laptop, you can take that to the modem during set up.

I get an occassional disconnect for 1-2 minutes at a time but so far it's tolerable.

Did you reset the R6850 before you set it up behind the DM200? Or just put the setup wizard through its paces.

My ISP says that there are no interruptions at their end.

They always say they. I never believe them. I can see the DSL LED going off occasionally. It can go for weeks or months without a hiccup, then has a spate of dropouts.

Message 8 of 9
w3wilkes
Prodigy

If the D7000v2 craters again I'll put the DGND3700v1 back in service while I find another brand modem/router, probably look over in ASUS land where you can get actual support from the company and a 24 month warranty!

Well, the D7000v2 just crashed again after 5 days for the last time. The DGND3700v1 is back in service and I've removed the D7000v2. At this point I've had it with Netgear, they just seem to not care once they've sold the device.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7