Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Date incorrect, Unable to get correct NTP, Fake? DOS attacks, unable to access HTTPS

Nightram
Aspirant

Date incorrect, Unable to get correct NTP, Fake? DOS attacks, unable to access HTTPS

Netgear Case number #28073403

This isnt a new problem, but it is still an unsolved one.

In short, I can use the internet however I am haveing multiple issues. Mainly the router is unable to get the time from the NTP server. This means I am unable to use any HTTPS webpage (streaming video + banking) as the router and website have different times. Namely I am in 1970 and the website is of today. This makes the connection unsecure and in most cases unable to be opened.

I have a current ticket open with Netgear at "elevaited" support, but so far have wasted 3 hours of my time.

The steps I have carried out are:

• Reset
  • Factory reset
  • Firmware update
  • Firmware downgrade
  • Advanced>Security>Schedule region change
  • Advanced>Security>Schedule day + region change
  • Advanced>Setup>WAN Setup> NAT Filtering Disable & renable
  • Advanced>Setup>WAN Setup> Disable port scan and DOS protection

So yeah, Im kinda out of ideas and I dont think Netgear are taking this issue seriously.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 13
VE6CGX
Master

Re: Date incorrect, Unable to get correct NTP, Fake? DOS attacks, unable to access HTTPS

There are many NTP choices or use default one. You disabled DOS attack protection. Don't you want protection?????

You mean region as time one?

Message 2 of 13
Nightram
Aspirant

Re: Date incorrect, Unable to get correct NTP, Fake? DOS attacks, unable to access HTTPS

"There are many NTP choices or use default one" - What?

"You disabled DOS attack protection. Don't you want protection?????" - Its called troubleshooting, was trying to determin if the firmware blocked the NTP reply thinking it was a "fake DOS" attack. Check the other issues on the subject and you will find that the firmware erraticaly claims DOS attacks.

"You mean region as time one?" - there are three regions in the router. Internet protocol region, Security Schedule time region (NTP) and Wifi power region. Clarify what you are trying to say. Either way. all have been adjusted with no positive effect.

Message 3 of 13

@Nightram wrote:

In short, I can use the internet however I am haveing multiple issues. Mainly the router is unable to get the time from the NTP server.

Where are you?

What Netgear hardware are you talking about?

The first question is important because there are some parts of the world – bits of Australia I think – where the time zones are seriously wonky and baffle Netgears kit. Something to do with 30-minute time zones.

@Nightram wrote:

I have a current ticket open with Netgear at "elevaited" support, but so far have wasted 3 hours of my time.

It is the weekend and your time zone may not be the same as the support people. Then there is the long queue of messages ahead of yours.

Message 4 of 13
Nightram
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Nightram wrote:

In short, I can use the internet however I am haveing multiple issues. Mainly the router is unable to get the time from the NTP server.

Where are you?

What Netgear hardware are you talking about?

The first question is important because there are some parts of the world – bits of Australia I think – where the time zones are seriously wonky and baffle Netgears kit. Something to do with 30-minute time zones.

@Nightram wrote:

It is the weekend and your time zone may not be the same as the support people. Then there is the long queue of messages ahead of yours.

Adelaide, I have changed the timezone to non half zones, however this did not change anything.

I actually started this on Wednesday via live chat, the three hours is total support time as I have other things to do in the meantime. The item is a D7800

Message 5 of 13

@Nightram wrote:

Adelaide, I have changed the timezone to non half zones, however this did not change anything.

Nice place. I loved the train ride to Melbourne.

Netgear seems to have problems with Antipodean time zones. It has come up here before. A forum search may help.

Message 6 of 13
Nightram
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Nightram wrote:

Nice place. I loved the train ride to Melbourne.

Netgear seems to have problems with Antipodean time zones. It has come up here before. A forum search may help.

Yes, all steps and fixes done by other people have been attempted to no effect. If I plug in my old Belkin 150 there are no issues.

Message 7 of 13

Just to confirm that you reset to factory settings after the firmware flash.

Message 8 of 13
Nightram
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Just to confirm that you reset to factory settings after the firmware flash.

After and before on current and previous firmware.

Message 9 of 13
Nightram
Aspirant

So, I now have a replacment  Nighthawk X4S.

It is displaying the exact same symptoms.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 10 of 13

I knew I had seen earlier conversations on this:

My Time Zone not available in DGND3700v2 - NETGEAR Communities

Dgnd3700 - NETGEAR Communities

It adds nothing to the saga here, beyond suggesting that Netgear has a problem with Australia.

Two boxes with the same fault smells like a design issue rather than defective hardware.

Message 11 of 13
Nightram
Aspirant

so far i give Netgear a 2/10 for product and support.

might just get my cash back on the seccond one and buy Belkin again.

Message 12 of 13

I wonder if a different Netgear model would work. But who needs the hassle?

Have you filed an official support request? After all, this place is mostly user to user.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7