Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Dgnd3700

boofer93
Novice

Dgnd3700

Hi, new user of a DGND3700 ADSL modem (Centurylink) and 2.4GHz Router working but cannot see 5GHz band from all devices that are capable. Ipad2 and Fujitsu Lifebook see 5GHz but my Samsung TV wireless LAN adapter only sees 2.4GHz even though it is certified WiFi n (2.4/5GHz). My two Iphone 4's cannot see 5GHz nor can my HP Pavilion G with an 802.11 b/g/n network adapter. Is there something obvious that I have not setup? I've tried manually connecting to the 5GHz by typing in the SSID and security code in the samsung tv network setup and my Network and Sharing Center on my Windows 7 HP laptop but it doesn't connect.
Message 1 of 7
tpcguy
Guide

It seems like your problem is already isolated, not all wireless device/s supports 5GHz network only a few, that's why only your iPad 2 and Fujitsu notebook sees it because both has Dual Band wireless adapters or they support both network frequencies. If you want to detect the 5GHz wireless network in your other device/s you need to have a Dual Band wireless adapter in those devices.
Message 2 of 7
Joe_
Apprentice

boofer93 wrote:
...even though it is certified WiFi n (2.4/5GHz)...
...nor can my HP Pavilion G with an 802.11 b/g/n network adapter...

1. Did you add in the part highlighted in red above or did the label/sticker/whatever actually say this?

2. Certified Wi-Fi N does not necessarily mean it is capable of using the 5GHz frequency/band. IEEE802.11n may be used in both the 2.4 and 5GHz band. It is a popular misconception by some (but less and less nowadays) to confuse Wi-Fi n to mean the same as 5GHz, and some manufacturers seek to capitalize on such misconception. So as tpcguy said, your client device(s) must have a wireless NIC that supports 5GHz in order to "see" it.

3. Generally, when manufacturers label their products as 802.11b/g/n it usually means 2.4GHz only.

🙂
Message 3 of 7
boofer93
Novice

The Samsung LAN Adapter says WiFi 2.4GHz/5GHz so shouldn't it recognize the 5GHz band?
Message 4 of 7
Joe_
Apprentice

boofer93 wrote:
The Samsung LAN Adapter says WiFi 2.4GHz/5GHz so shouldn't it recognize the 5GHz band?

Yes. However, it could be that the default settings in the TV may be for the 2.4GHz band. This is something you would need to investigate. If you fail to find any such option in the TV's Manual or settings, this may have to be queried with Samsung.
Message 5 of 7
boofer93
Novice

Yes, the adapter is capable but Samsung said that my new LED TV is not :-( Thank you for your comments/posts
Message 6 of 7
Joe_
Apprentice

boofer93 wrote:
Thank you for your comments/posts

You're Welcome! I hope you have benefited by them. 🙂
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos