Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Differences between DGND3700 and DGND3800B

mauritss
Aspirant

Differences between DGND3700 and DGND3800B

Like the title of this thread says: what are the exact differences between the DGND3700 (v1 / v2) and DGND3800B?

I can't find any. Is the DGND3800B for Germany only?

Message 1 of 21
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

looks like 3800 is germany products
Message 2 of 21
mauritss
Aspirant

I asked the Netgear support:

The two devices are actually at he same for the WAN,they both have Gigabit Ethernet WAN port. The difference is DGND3700 is a ADSL2+ modem router, and the DGND3800B is a VDSL2 modem router. The most significant difference between the two technologies that is most relevant to the use is speed. ADSL can reach maximum speeds of 8mbps download and 1mbps for upload. In comparison, VDSL can have up to 52mbps for download and 16mbps for upload. VDSL is able to support HDTV while ADSL can not. VDSL allows for customizable bandwidths while ADSL does not, and VDSL is not as widespread as ADSL is.
Message 3 of 21
Scubbie
Apprentice

Interesting.

Perhaps the DGND3800B could be used in place of the BTO Modem for any FTTC connections?

There is another such router available already in the UK (I can't recall the make and model just now).
Message 4 of 21
LargodeC
Aspirant

Hello everybody,

A very, very important difference: the DGND3800B is intended for ISDN (Annex b) and the 3700 is for POTS (Annex a).

I've experienced this crucial difference on my own... I bought a DGND3800B (it wasn't my fault, it was due to a misleading advertising) and I have a POTS line... Result? Misery... I own an expensive paperweight 😞

Watch out... :eek:
Message 5 of 21
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Sounds like the DGND3800B would work for the Qwest/Centurylink fiber that's being deployed all over the western USA. Ah, the DGND3800B is not available in this part of the world.
Message 6 of 21
bulldog147
Novice

yeah that's why I hate Netgear! They lack of VDSL modem support in UK. Don't know why? What was the problem? I will never purchase from Netgear ever again. They useless. Don't understand Netgear will provided VDSL modem for USA, not UK?
Message 7 of 21
w3wilkes
Prodigy

No, Netgear does not provide a VDSL router for the US. The only way the US can get VDSL to run is to get a DGND3700v1 (not v2) and load the custom DGND3800B firmware or the custom Richud firmware of which neither is condoned or supported by Netgear.
Message 8 of 21
richud
Apprentice

Off top of my head I think the original firmware on the DGND3700v1 had VDSL enabled before it was removed (as a web interface option) in the final one they released.
(Most ISP provided VDSL modems around the world are based on same Broadcom chipset as the v1 too.)

Also Netgear only do the web interface/branding/boxing/retail , the board/firmware are pretty much all Broadcom and Foxconn (Hon Hai) - think rebadged cars.

Also the v1 and v2 firmwares [different hardware] have been developed by completely different teams in a different way. I wish the 'people' who did the v2 one had done the v1, the v1 would make an excellent case study as to how not to do something!
Message 9 of 21
bulldog147
Novice

I had placed a bid for DGND3700v1 on ebay, so I kept my maximum bid below £20 and if I win the bid. Then I will flash it to get VDSL.
Message 10 of 21
bulldog147
Novice

@ richud I won the bid for DGND3700 (v1) with 128MB ram on it. So, richud do u have the firmware link to download for this router VDSL inbuilt please. So, I will try test it this week as it will come Tuesday. Thanks richud.
Message 11 of 21
w3wilkes
Prodigy

See this thread in the DGND3700 Discussion Forums;
"New firmware with built in Torrent Client"
In this firmware you can enable VDSL. Also in the thread
"Porting v3 (NG GENIE) FW on DGND3700v1"
there is firmware that allows the DGND3700B firmware onto the DGND3700v1 router.
Message 12 of 21
Scubbie
Apprentice

bulldog147 wrote:
@ richud I won the bid for DGND3700 (v1) with 128MB ram on it. So, richud do u have the firmware link to download for this router VDSL inbuilt please. So, I will try test it this week as it will come Tuesday. Thanks richud.

It would be interesting to know how you get on 🙂
Message 13 of 21
bulldog147
Novice

@Scubbie yep - I will try it and let u know. I do believe that u used to have this Netgear DGND3700v1 before?

I was surprise that scan do have plenty of stock of Netgear DGND3700v1 as I did telephone the sale person and he have confirmed that it does come with v1 say the back of the box. Not v2. But price bit dearer thought.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/netgear-wireless-dual-band-combo-adsl2-2plus-modem-and-cable-broadban...
Message 14 of 21
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Just beware... The v1 does not have any version number on the box (the v2 does) and the v1 doesn't have Genie or USB printer sharing.
Message 15 of 21
bulldog147
Novice

How to get DGND3700 V1 ADSL2 VDSL2 Driver PHY Status Output stats on DGND3700v1?
Message 16 of 21
Scubbie
Apprentice

bulldog147 wrote:
@Scubbie yep - I will try it and let u know. I do believe that u used to have this Netgear DGND3700v1 before?

I did but it let me down. The WiFi and ADSL connection was fine, but the USB support just wasn't up to the job of handling an external drive with music tracks.

Those prices look nice for the spec of the router. They are around half what it was at the peak price.

It'll be interesting if this modified firmware has the ability to add Opt.#61 too for Sky Fibre. A few people might like it if the router can support that feature.

w3wilkes wrote:
Just beware... The v1 does not have any version number on the box (the v2 does) and the v1 doesn't have Genie or USB printer sharing.

Very true, but then Genie wouldn't necessarily work on the custom firmware anyway.

Having said that, some of the functions in the Genie software will work on many non-Netgear routers. It is a useful program to install on a laptop or app on your phone.
Message 17 of 21
richud
Apprentice

bulldog: the v1 is 'better' hardware (double ram & vdsl support). PHY info and everything else from xdslctl, i.e. xdslctl info --state It does have USB printer sharing that will work with most printers. (p910nd) Contrary to popular opinion the usb ports are 'fine' for SoC based ports - the issue was with very old miniDLNA and incompetence in original firmware (it runs in debug mode to get around a unfixed toolchain bug) which makes the router fall over after minidlna gets through indexing so many files. Also they are power limited to about 500mA between them (i.e. only one bus powered hdd at once) VDSL is working for people around the world on a variety of ISP's and system (wiki has various settings for people who let me know what they used). 80Mbit is fastest I know anyone syncs at ! The only ISP it isn't working on as far as I know is Sky fibre with its bonkers system. Firmware has ability to pass dhcpc options needed but for some reason it doesn't get any response back. I cannot test it and sadly I haven't had anyone adept enough with sky fibre to get to the bottom of it. (If anyone ever reads this who can help please priv msg me, I would like to know if you can get a response from a dhcp request packet replay from their working modem)
Message 18 of 21
bulldog147
Novice

Please do not buy from scan of Netgear DGND3700v1 as it was misleading information on their site:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/netgear-wireless-dual-band-combo-adsl2-2plus-modem-and-cable-broadban...

The sale person told me this item is version 1 as I did asked them to double check all over the box to see if there is no marked 'v2' and they say to me no, it no v2 on it. Got the parcel arrived today and it make me ANGRY that it had v2 on it. Useless scan. But, thankfully, they going to sent me free post and postage to return unopened DGND300v2 back to them for a full refunded.

Here is misleading scan information site say ram 128MB here: http://s5.postimg.org/p2qtwsgmf/image.jpg

And I upload a screenshot of the box side stated v2 modem:
http://s5.postimg.org/lx686ky07/image.jpg

Very disappointed overall. Netgear is stupid to have same name DGND3700 (both in v1 and v2) they should have sold in seperator part model number eg: DGND3700 and DGND3701 to avoid mix 128MB & 64MB ram on version 1 & 2.:mad::mad:
Message 19 of 21
richud
Apprentice

bulldog: Didn't you get a v1 on ebay sept (21st post) ? [There are always a few v1's on there.] (The datasheet you linked is for the V1) ...maybe DGND3701 and DGND3702 even 😛
Message 20 of 21
bulldog147
Novice

No the ebay lied to me say it v1 but it was actually v2 in the back of the router label. I just wish ebay take genuine photo of back router to check if it was v1. I give up.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7