Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do I need separate modem?

bigpapanoodle
Aspirant

Do I need separate modem?

I am looking at the D6400 wireless router with high speed VDSL/ADSL modem built-in. I have looked at Netgear's own pruduct description and I quote - "With an integrated modem and router, you won’t need separate hardware from your service provider." Can someone tell me why then has a chat agent for Netgear informed me that I will need a separate modem for this model and they do not offer a "one-box" solution!

Message 1 of 6
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Do I need separate modem?

Well I wasn’t party to the conversation you had but maybe the agent misheard, and thought you said R6400 which does not have a built in modem?

If your ISP is a VDSL/ADSL service then you should be fine with the D6400.

Message 2 of 6

Andy is correct.

If you want further reassurance, tell people where you are and who is your ISP. There may be someone here on the same network.

For me, here in the UK the D6400 works on TalkTalk and BT ADSL. With the proviso that you should not use the newest firmware on the Netgear site. It broke ADSL on both services. It has also hit other ISPs here. We see regular dropped connections.

There may be new firmware on its way that fixes this.

Message 3 of 6
bigpapanoodle
Aspirant

Hi Andy

Many thanks for your rapid response. Much appreciated. I have just upgraded to superfast broadband on a FTTC connection. BT have tested the line and say the line is capable of speeds up to 78 Mbps. I am only getting 20 to 30 Mbps on average. I suspect the modem and router as supplied by my ISP...pretty basic. I'm guessing that as I now have a fibre connection I need to be looking elsewhere for a "one-box" solution. 

Message 4 of 6
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Unfortunately I’m not a DSL user, I’m with Virgin Media cable. So I can’t answer your question from first hand experience, but I would expect the D6400 to be able to handle that level of throughput. I guess Michael can offer you better advice than I can.

Message 5 of 6

@bigpapanoodle wrote:

Hi Andy

I have just upgraded to superfast broadband on a FTTC connection. BT have tested the line and say the line is capable of speeds up to 78 Mbps. 

In that case, my experience is no use to you. I have ADSL.

I have no idea about VDSL and how it hacks it with FTTC.

Sadly, out in the sticks, we don't get FTTC. That's for the village a mile up the road. Same exchange, but a step too far for BT.

I would not be surprised if BT's modem delivered an inferior service. My D6400 is a replacement for a Homehub 4. My guess is that you have Homehub 5.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7