Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does the Access Control on the D7000 stop the guest network functioning?

Vapulabis
Aspirant

Does the Access Control on the D7000 stop the guest network functioning?

I have not purchased one yet as I have just had to return to Amazon another modem router because it does not have the facility I want. My present router has MAC Address Filtering on the WIFI only, I cannot seem to find a new modem router that has this facility they have all gone over to Access Control. The problem I had with the one I am returning was, when I enabled Access Control and added all the MAC addresses I wanted to have internet access, then I enabled the guest network, the guests, because they were not on the whitelist for Access Control, could not access the internet, which I thought was bonkers, so I was wondering if one of you nice people with a D7000 could test whether this is the case with this modem router as well, if so I will continue to look.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: Does the Access Control on the D7000 stop the guest network functioning?

Access Control (Netgear products) - Is a global setting.  You turn it on or off.  It applies to all connections wired or wireless. 

I understand you are looking for a way to secure your primary network(s).  Authentication + only allow access to authorized devices

But you want Guests to come and go - only requiring authenticaion.  If you want this level of granular control, you'll need to look at a professional grade networking product.  Meraki, Rukus, Ubiquiti, etc.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies

Access Control (Netgear products) - Is a global setting.  You turn it on or off.  It applies to all connections wired or wireless. 

I understand you are looking for a way to secure your primary network(s).  Authentication + only allow access to authorized devices

But you want Guests to come and go - only requiring authenticaion.  If you want this level of granular control, you'll need to look at a professional grade networking product.  Meraki, Rukus, Ubiquiti, etc.

Message 2 of 5
Vapulabis
Aspirant

its a shame really because the old TD-W9980 (TP-Link sorry to say) Router that I am wanting to replace, had Mac Address filtering, but all the new ones only have Access Control

Message 3 of 5

Step back and ask yourself what you are trying to achieve.

You are laying down a technical specification. There may be other ways of getting the desired end result.

Parental controls? Who knows? Say what you want.

Message 4 of 5
Vapulabis
Aspirant

what I want is to lock down the WIFI of the modem/router, at present with MAC address filtering, I can say which MAC addresses can connect to the WIFI, whether they know the password or not, if you are not on the MAC address whitelist, you dont get connection. when I have guests stay, I enable the Guest network and they connect to that, they get no access to my internal network, they just get access to the internet whether they are on the whitelist or not, the MAC address filtering has no bearing on the Guest Network. No VDSL modem/router has this facility now, they are all Access Control which also affects the Guest Network, which is a 10 steps backward in technology if you ask me.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7