Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does the D7000 Nighthawk support Power over Ethernet?

Does the D7000 Nighthawk support Power over Ethernet?

Guys, I have a D7000 Nighthawk setup on the ground floor of my house and the signal does reach upstairs, but it could be better.  I was therefore thinking about installing a device upstair, like an access point on the ceiling, similar to the office where i work.  There are no plugs avilable and was therefore wondering if the D7000 does POE that could power the access point?  if so, anyone had experiance with this and if so, any advise on what device I would use as the access point?  I'm hoping its just a case of running an ethernet cable from the D7000 to the new AP device and that would extend the signal upstairs.  

Thanks in advance,

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The d7000 doesn't have POE. But you can add a poe injector. OR even just a poe switch. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The d7000 doesn't have POE. But you can add a poe injector. OR even just a poe switch. 

Message 2 of 5

Thanks, wasnt aware of either of those devices, and think they will help.  Out of interest, once I have power running through a LAN cable, is there any specific type of device i need to connect to the cable as I would ideally like the wifi name to be the same as downstairs and not a seperate wifi network.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

the problem is the D7000. Its not a mesh router like orbi and doesn't integrate with the business line of devices for mesh.

If you wanted it full mesh (same ssid with roaming/bandsteering) then you'd need 2 access points. one to connect at the router and one where looking for. Then you'd just disable the wireless on the router (to prevent interference) 

Message 4 of 5

@Dark_Stranger wrote:

There are no plugs avilable and was therefore wondering if the D7000 does POE that could power the access point? 

Have you considered Powerline Ethernet?

It turns your household electrical mains into an Ethernet circuit.

Some Powerline plugs have integrated access points. Others can just be the Ethernet input to whataver AP you want to use.

Then again,this bit is puzzling.

@Dark_Stranger wrote:

There are no plugs avilable ...

You have a house with no mains sockets?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7