Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Download speeds severely dropping throughout the day while ISP isn't throttling me (Nighthawk D7000)

JackHarriesYDK
Aspirant

Download speeds severely dropping throughout the day while ISP isn't throttling me (Nighthawk D7000)

Hi all,

Purchased a D7000 a while back due to a power trip in my house frying my old TalkTalk supplied superrouter.

Set the D7000 up via the setup wizard and now my speeds fluctuate throught the day, reaching highs of 61/62 and dropping as low as 20.

When I use the replacement router TalkTalk sent my speeds are consistently 55/57 so this isn't a case of TalkTalk throttling me throughout the day.

If anyone has any idea what is causing this I'd really appreciate the help otherwise it looks like I've spent £120 on a pretty useless paperweight.

Cheers,

Jack

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 10
indiana324
Guide

Re: Download speeds severely dropping throughout the day while ISP isn't throttling me (Nighthawk D7

I paid over 240 for mine and it has same problems with speeds and also disappearing networks ,incorrect passwords....i sure wish netgear would stand behind thier products and fix these issues!

Mike

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 10

Re: Download speeds severely dropping throughout the day while ISP isn't throttling me (Nighthawk D7

What firmware version do you have on the D7000?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 3 of 10
indiana324
Guide

firmware version 1.0.0.124

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 4 of 10
JackHarriesYDK
Aspirant

I'm using the lastest advertised firmare (V1.0.0.53_1.0.2) on the D7000 product page.

Message 5 of 10

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Message 6 of 10
JackHarriesYDK
Aspirant

Yeah I tried that yesterday, I've seen marginal improvement since doing it although my speeds still fluctautate quite a bit when using it compared to my TalkTalk supplied router.

Message 7 of 10

Such is TalkTalk's reputation as the world's worst ISP, conspiracy theory would suggest that it fiddles the speedtests.

But that is probably a cruel slander. Then again, how are you testing speeds?

When I do this a run speed tests on several different sites and put the details into a spreadsheet.

I always tests as a wired connection because wifi is notoriously dodgy.

Message 8 of 10
indiana324
Guide

so has there ever been a fix for these problems? i still have reduced speeds and disappearing networks.....

Message 9 of 10
indiana324
Guide

and also out of the blue incorrect password messages, i usually just switch from the 5g to the slower network or vice versa to get things moving again but its an issue ....is there no fix?????????????????

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7