Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FTP limit on Nighthawk D7000

ukoldgit
Apprentice

FTP limit on Nighthawk D7000

Hi all, dont know if anyone has come across a FTP problem with the D7000.

I set it up so I could FTP to the attached usb drive across the internet and network.

This worked fine for a small period of time and now when I try to FTP it I get ... 421 There are already 15 users logged in

So this is effectivley stopping me connecting.

I've turned the FTP options off and on in the hope the router will drop any connections but this hasnt made any difference.

Before I try rebooting can anyone offer any suggestions on a cure and how to stop it happening in the future.

Thanks in advanced.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Re: FTP limit on Nighthawk D7000

It's really a mystery why FTP is even used any more in this day and age because it's totally insecure.  File transfers are not encrypted.  Even the password is sent as plain text.  Each time you use FTP from the Internet, someone could snatch your password and use it to log in.  This could explain why you have 15 users logged in.  Or perhaps there's a bug in Netgear's FTP code.

If I were you, I would physically disconnect the router from the Internet.  Then disable FTP access via the Internet AND change the router's admin password.  Then reboot the router and reconnect it to the Internet.

Consider using the https via Internet option.  At least it's encrypted.  Personally, I would not use it because it still uses the router's admin password for access.  Netgear should have a separate password for file sharing.  

Or stick your files on Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon Drive (or any cloud storage provider that you can trust).  

If you don't trust cloud storage, then get a NAS, which will have much more secure options, like SFTP.

Message 2 of 5
ukoldgit
Apprentice

This was more of a experiment as opposed to full time use. The 15 user will be me and I wanted to stream some movies to my iPad while on holiday. I wa trying various FTP clients and it would appear that the router or the iPad doesnt disconnect properly.

I'm well aware of the security issues and thats why there is nothing of importance on the drive.

Using the https via Internet option is ok for looking at the files but I've yet to find a iPad app that will use this and stream movies and music.

So the only way to reset the logins is to turn off ftp and reboot the router?

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

The contents of your drive may not be a concern but the transmission of your router's admin password unencrypted on the Internet should be. You never want your admin password to be so easily captured.

I don't know why the ftp logins are not resetting. I don't use Netgear's ftp.

If you want to stream video to an iPad on the Internet, consider setting up a PC running Plex.

The D7000 has a built in DLNA server but I don't know if it's accessible from the Internet.
Message 4 of 5
ukoldgit
Apprentice

I dont want the PC running all the time and DLNA isnt supported across the internet.

As far as the User Name and Password not being encrypted goes that shouldnt be a problem as you can only access the router if you can connect to it, FTP does not faciliate this, you need to be connected to the network

I think you'll find lots of people leave the User name and password set at the default.

The biggest area of concern should be strong wifi security and also if your PC connects wirelessly and you use W10 that it's not sitting with all the default privacy setting such WIFI sense.

Anyway FTP is turned off for now as it isnt working, so until I find a solution it will remain that way.

Thanks for your input.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7