Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fibre Optic Broadband

FWR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Fibre Optic Broadband

I have an AC1200/ D6200 router in my home and am about to install a fibre optic broadband connection.  I am wondering whether the router will work - I think not but please confirm http://www.trustedreviews.com/netgear-d6200-802-11ac-dsl-router-review

My ISP has provided an N300/ WNR2000 router for the installation.  If my existing router (AC1200/ D6200) doesn't work then I would like to replace it with something equivalent - would this be an N900/ WNDR4500?

Thank you

Jonathan Beckitt 

Message 1 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Fibre Optic Broadband

I’m not convinced that it will not work. That review discusses the modem aspect of the D6200 in relation to fibre, but since you have been supplied with a WNR2000 which has no built in modem, then I can only assume that your ISP has also provided a modem or other device which terminates in an RJ45 Ethernet connection (which would then connect to the WAN / Internet port of the WNR2000)?

The D6200 has an alternative WAN Ethernet port, which bypasses the built in DSL modem, so I don’t see why this could not be used in much the same way as the WAN port of the WNR2000 would be used, or the WNDR4500, both have an Ethernet WAN port.

This is what the D6000 (v1) manual says (Page 13);

1. One Gigabit Ethernet WAN port for connecting the WiFi DSL modem router to a fiber or cable modem

Note:You can use either the ADSL or Gigabit Ethernet port for WAN connectivity.

Message 2 of 4
FWR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many thanks Andy - I'll try the D6200

Jonathan

Message 3 of 4
PhilWakely
Aspirant

I also have an AC1200/ D6200 router in my home and wish to upgrade to a fibre optic broadband connection. I do not know which model router will be supplied, except that it will be 'PlusNet' branded.

So, I am wondering, Jonathan, what was your final outcome?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7