Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update - DGND3700

WOLFMANDIM
Aspirant

Firmware update - DGND3700

The latest firmware 1.0.0.12 states "Removed VDSL support". I am thinking of subscribing for a VDSL line. Should I upgrade to this firmware version or will it create connection problems?
Message 1 of 21
PeterMac83
Aspirant

+1 same question, is it mean that DGND3700 modem can work like VDSL/VDSL2 modem - but I don't think so 🙂 ?

I want to upgrade my internet to VDSL2 with Sagem 3764 VDSL modem,
Can i connect it with DGDN3700 for wireless internet from Netgear ?
Message 2 of 21
Scubbie
Apprentice

Members are connecting this router to BT Infinity successfully. I will see if I can gain access to a friend's Virgin connection with my router to see if it works there.

If I can, it will only be for a short period, nothing like the testing I have been performing on my own connection.
Message 3 of 21
PeterMac83
Aspirant

Thank You Scubbie, waiting for results.
Message 4 of 21
jeremysup
Aspirant

Using 1.0.17 with DGND3700.
I did not realise that thid Hw could do VDSL/VDSL2.. My ISP is shifting to this new technology for 10/10 link..

So.. Can my Netgear do VDSL or no I need to buy new one next to it?:confused:
Message 5 of 21
Scubbie
Apprentice

For the record, one reason I went for this specific router was because I currently have an ADSL connection, but plan to continue using it when I get a fibre based connection.

So I hope that it will indeed work just fine on a cable connection. 😉
Message 6 of 21
flamingbadger
Aspirant

My understanding is that BT Infinity is supplied with a VDSL modem by BT Wholesale which you then connect to the DGND3700 through it's gigabit WAN port. In other words, it becomes the equivilent of a Cable router in that the ADSL modem onboard the DGND3700 becomes redundant.
Message 7 of 21
theTechman05
Aspirant

Yea but by the time fiber comes you'll be spending more money on a Netgear fiber modem:p.
Message 8 of 21
PeterMac83
Aspirant

Does BT Infinity have to be set as bridge ?
Message 9 of 21
WOLFMANDIM
Aspirant

Guys,
I still need an answer to my question. I don't live in the States, my modem is of Annex "A" (PSTN) type. Since my provider will be offering a 50 mbps connection in the near future, will the Netgear modem be capable of supporting that speed?
Message 10 of 21
theTechman05
Aspirant

As far as this revision and its firmware goes, no, it does not support vdsl as listed in the firmware update log. As always you can request it but they probably removed it for a good reason. Maybe ces will give you something to wish for in six months.
Message 11 of 21
WOLFMANDIM
Aspirant

Just as I remembered to ask another question. Does the DGND3700 come with the vertical support in its packaging?
Message 12 of 21
theTechman05
Aspirant

You get it just like in the picture. Now you just have to search how to remove it if you feel ablidged to try to.
Message 13 of 21
WOLFMANDIM
Aspirant

theTechman05 wrote:
You get it just like in the picture. Now you just have to search how to remove it if you feel ablidged to try to.

As a matter of fact I want to use it in the upright position.
Message 14 of 21
Ryster
Tutor

WOLFMANDIM wrote:
As a matter of fact I want to use it in the upright position.

Well thats good, because you dont get the option (officially). The stand is glued/screwed on out of the box. Some have speculated this is because it might overheat when placed horizontally 🙂
Message 15 of 21
Scubbie
Apprentice

PeterMac83 wrote:
Thank You Scubbie, waiting for results.

Sadly my attempt to connect to a Virgin Modem with this router failed. 😞

I used the automatic & manual options. I even tried giving it manual IP addresses, but it didn't allow me to get Internet access.

I will try again if possible, but the person concerned is in the process of dumping Virgin for another ISP who uses ADSL over the BT telephone line.
Message 16 of 21
theTechman05
Aspirant

I though scubbie was going to try using the dgnd3700 solo and not to another device. I can only imagine if they removed it on the .12 firmware its not coming back till dgnd3700v2.
Message 17 of 21
Scubbie
Apprentice

theTechman05 wrote:
I though scubbie was going to try using the dgnd3700 solo and not to another device. I can only imagine if they removed it on the .12 firmware its not coming back till dgnd3700v2.

Sorry, I am not that familiar with Virgin, but I am aware that it normally makes use of a Modem.

For reference the incoming cable connection has an F-Type connector (i.e. coax with screw thread, like on satellite boxes) which will not connect to the DGND3700.

The existing setup uses the Modem that in turn connects to a Netgear Cable router with Virgin's firmware. I tried to connect to the modem in the same way the existing router had been connected.
Message 18 of 21
theTechman05
Aspirant

Using a coaxial connector I would have thought to call it a cable modem but it could be a difference in standards.

When I look up on howstuffworks.com it refrences it going over the telephone lines as competition to cable (among other things). *Note this website does not have a timestamp so it may be older than a redwood tree.

VDSL operates over the copper wires in your phone line in much the same way that ADSL does, but there are a couple of distinctions. VDSL can achieve incredible speeds, as high as 52 Mbps downstream (to your home) and 16 Mbps upstream (from your home). That is much faster than ADSL, which provides up to 8 Mbps downstream and 800 Kbps (kilobits per second) upstream. But VDSL's amazing performance comes at a price: It can only operate over the copper line for a short distance, about 4,000 feet (1,200 m).
Message 19 of 21
Scubbie
Apprentice

Sorry, the Modem I connected to is a Cable Modem. The router I swapped out is a Cable router with an Ethernet WAN port. I haven't written down the model number, but I can always try next time I visit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Media#Virgin_Broadband

As I said though, unfortunately it failed. I may get another opportunity to try connecting to it, but at the moment I'm kind of stuck and disappointed that I cannot use the DGND3700 on this connection.
Message 20 of 21
ProjectVRD
Aspirant

WOLFMANDIM wrote:
Guys,
I still need an answer to my question. I don't live in the States, my modem is of Annex "A" (PSTN) type. Since my provider will be offering a 50 mbps connection in the near future, will the Netgear modem be capable of supporting that speed?

It says so on the product description so you are entitled to your refund if it doesn't. I cannot however comment about if it actually does or doesn't because I don't know anybody with BT Infinity... we are late getting it here.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7