Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Frontier DSL Router

mrpat3
Tutor

Frontier DSL Router

I have this DSL modem from Frontier that I want to access remotely. There is a page in the setup menu for remote administration. Frontier support insists that you cannot access remotely. But the setup page for that is there.. Is there another setting like changing the port for access that I can change to enable this?

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Not sure why you think the Netgear forums are able to assist with a frontier modem?

Workaround: if you have a pc thats always on, install something like teamviewer to it. Then you can access the computer and through the computer you could change settings on router/network. 

Message 2 of 11
mrpat3
Tutor

Thats a good idea. Reason I posted here is because there is the word "netgear" on the equipment. I have worn out the people at frontier about this question, and thought I would look here. Frontier doesnt even have a community forum like this.

Message 3 of 11
antinode
Guru

> [...] there is the word "netgear" on the equipment. [...]

How about a model number?  Firmware version?  Any useful information
at all?

> [...] There is a page in the setup menu for remote administration.
> [...]

The non-psychics in your audience might not be able to see it.

Message 4 of 11

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number – look for a label on the thing – and check the documentation for your hardware.

Search the manual for the word "Remote".

Without knowing what device you own, I have no idea what you will find.

If you are lucky, there will be a section on Remote Management and maybe Manage the Modem Router Remotely.

Message 5 of 11

@mrpat3 wrote:

Reason I posted here is because there is the word "netgear" on the

Netgear has made modems for specific Internet service providers. These may or may not be anything like the modems that you can buy from tjhe usual sources and may not have the same features. In those cases, support comes from the ISP.

Message 6 of 11
mrpat3
Tutor

thats right. since I wore out the people at frontier, i am looking elsewhere. Netgear search didnt come up with this model, a 7550 is close I think. But if the ISP blocks remote access on their end, not much I can do. Ill set up a computer with team viewer.

Message 7 of 11

@mrpat3 wrote:

thats right. since I wore out the people at frontier, i am looking elsewhere. Netgear search didnt come up with this model, a 7550 is close I think.

Recent Netgear DSL modems have  model number DXXXX or DMXXX. Older models are modems things like DGNXXXX.

Remote Access and Remote Management  are there in some Netgear devices. That relies on using Netgear's own "cloud" access and uses its mobile apps. I have no idea if that works with third party devices.

Easy to see why people don't like buying or renting hardware from an ISP.

Message 8 of 11
mrpat3
Tutor

Im going to apply the workaround. Leave a computer at the house and use chrome remote desktop to access it. If I can, the phone line is active. Previously, I was relying on the answering machine to pickup, as the line frequently goes down. There is no cell service there, so it is the only link to the outside world. I need to be in touch with the home crowd when Im away, that was the original reason for remote access to the router. Thank you all for your insight and suggestions

Message 9 of 11
antinode
Guru

> [...] There is a page in the setup menu for remote administration.
> [...]

With my weak psychic powers, I (still) can't see it.  What happens

when you try it?

> [...] Netgear search didnt come up with this model, [...]

My search did.

> [...] a 7550 is close I think. [...]

https://kb.netgear.com/24475

> Im going to apply the workaround. [...]

Whether that would work well might depend on the sort of tasks you
had in mind for "access remotely".

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/2118555

Message 10 of 11
mrpat3
Tutor

I went to the house the other day and set up a computer to be accessed via chrome remote desktop. I also set up the router for remote administration. I had to disable the timeout button, and write down the remote access I think its the public IP address with the port # tagged on.

Both are now working. I can access both the computer and the router from outside the local network (like 250 miles away). So despite the frontier tech support saying otherwise, at least I can do it on this router. So now I have 3 ways to verify the phone is working before I make the 4 hour trip there. Call in and see if the answering machine picks up, beam in to the computer, and log in to the router.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7