Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GOOGLE CHROME ERROR PAGE - DUE TO NULLS IN HEADER OF ROUTER SETTINGS PAGE

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@michaelkenward wrote:

Just use a different browser. You will find it difficult to lay your hands on a Windows PC that doesn't have at least one alternative, Internet Explorer or Edge. Or wait until they mend Chrome.

You have read the first post, and also read the linked google chrome issues ?

Google will not "mend chrome".

From their pov, there is nothing to mend. They are fixing issues with the internet, and a bad practice is to allow nulls. The issues on the chromium project are now wont fix, they believe Netgear should be solving their own issues with firmware updates to become compliant with future browser updates.

Google over the last four to five years have been doing an awful lot to fix the issues of the internet, promoting good practices, and leading by example with its own Browser.

All other browsers will follow suit. And eventually these issues will only be addressable with the woefully inadequate Netgear Genie software.

Will that work on Linux ?

Netgear burying their head in the sand over this is not going to make the issue go away.

But I would imagine they will make an assesment of the potential affected numbers of people, depending on what models of routers all together have the same issues in the firmware, and if there is no possibility of legal action, and a good chance that nobody will hit the press so that the public image of the company is not widely damaged - They will just try to make sure they dont make the same mistakes again and move on churning out new router models leaving this behind.

Which is a bit crap for the consumers affected, but sadly the way business goes. Is the collateral damage big, then fix it, if not forget about it and let the support script readers buffer the issue until they go away.

Message 26 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@michaelkenward Aswell as my previous post, see comment #24 here :

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=927364

"

I don't think that it is - I think it avoids potential security issues, and we can't delay because of the Netgear issue, since they have no update story - their devices will continue to run the problematic firmware indefinitely.

"

See commeent #44 for the Wont fix status application

Message 27 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@all - There is a ray of hope for D7000 v1 users if Netgear cant be bothered to sort there own mess :

An open source github project https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus

Seems to be based on the official firmware updates ..

And someone obviously knows about this forum topic, has included the relevant points in an issue here https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/issues/50

Edit : Wow O_o this site gives the good boy drops pat on the head quickly, apparently I am a Tutor already. Must be desperate for participants, I guess thats no wonder with the poor after sales support.

Message 28 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The  programmer on Github open source project has a fix for the issue for D7000 v1 users ..

.. But you will need to wait until he puts out a new release which includes the fix.

So keep checking the Release https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/releases

At the top of that page it currently reads Build #526

The next build I reckon will include the fix. When the new build is up, scroll down on the releases page until you come to the Assets, and download the firmware image file which will be based on V1.0.1.70_1.0.1 - Be patient it may take as much as a month or two to be released. But at least you know progress on bug fixing this end of life routers firmware, aswell as making it more stable and better performance, is being supported.

Can you trust it ? - Usually open source projects can be yes. It has already a good history of proving his / her proficiency with the project.

Its not official netgear, but its better than netgear closing the door on you, and if you look at the project objectives, its probably going to be better than netgear would have ever put time into producing anyway ..

[quote]

This distributed project has the purpose of improving:

a) the embedded software developing experience;

b) the router performances, ability and reliability.

[/quote]

@netgear engineers if you read this : Have a look at the issue for a patch negan07 has which resolves your mini_httpd null headers malformed issue.

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/issues/50

Message 29 of 82
Mattaus
Aspirant

Url Not Working Show Error 404
Message 30 of 82
MaccaUK
Tutor

Hmmm. I'll try again as my previous post seems to have been deleted.

The new release of the Ancistrus firmware for the V1 D7000 has now been released (build #552)

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/releases

It installed flawlessly on my D7000 (even my setup was preserved, which I wasn't expecting) and the NULL's in the Header issued has been fixed. You can now login via chrome again :).

One other small observation, the router now appears to by running slightly cooler. I've had it lock up a couple of times over the past month or so due to overheating (granted, it was covered in shoes), so I've been keeping tabs on how hot it's been running and it is definitely cooler to the touch since flashing the custom firmware.

Cheers

Macca

Message 31 of 82
Mattaus
Aspirant

Problem Fixed And Download Firmware From That Site. What Is This New Featue ANCISTRUS

Message 32 of 82
dalepa
Aspirant

Same problem here.     Upgraded today to  V1.0.1.70_1.0.1 and now chrome error page.   

WTF is wrong with Netgear.   Do you not have a QA team for this simple regression test?

How do I downgrade the router?  MF

Model: D7000v1|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 33 of 82

@dalepa wrote:

How do I downgrade the router?

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number for your kit and find all the documentation and support stuff for your hardware.

Retrieve whichever firmware takes your fancy and read the release notes for instructions on how to install it on your hardware.

Message 34 of 82
TastyMan
Aspirant

So do you install the image file like you would any netgear firmware update file you have downloaded ?

Model: D7000v1|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 35 of 82

@TastyMan wrote:

So do you install the image file like you would any netgear firmware update file you have downloaded ?

Which firmware file do you have in mind? Official or third party?

Several have cropped up in this discussion and there is no  "threading' to indicate which you have in mind.

Message 36 of 82
TastyMan
Aspirant

Third party the file that fixes the chrome problem

Message 37 of 82

@TastyMan wrote:

Third party the file that fixes the chrome problem

That usually needs fancy moves to get the device to accept the firmware. Before putting third party firmware on your hardware you should research the process on the firmware maker's website. It is not a simple case of "update from this firmware".

In particular, work out how to get back to the official firmware. People sometimes turn up here seeking that information, but it is not something that Netgear can support, and there aren't that many regulars here who use, or know a lot about, alternative firmware. We have to send them back to the "rival" websites.

Message 38 of 82
MaccaUK
Tutor

The ANCISTRUS firmware referenced in this thread is based on V1.0.1.70_1.0.1 and is flashed the same was as official firmware using the router admin page.

Once installed, you can flash an official firmware image back in exactly the same way.

Cheers

Paul

Message 39 of 82
normanDdog
Aspirant

I just ran into this problem. For now, I can use firefox to access the router. Longer term, the solution appears to be a new router. Any brand other than netgear.

Message 40 of 82
normanDdog
Aspirant

Yes, I tried the Windows Genie app shortly after I bought my router. It was pretty useles. It's really not a solution. BTW, the problem is clearly not with Chrome. They fixed a vulnerability. The Netgear router is sending a bad response page, and Chrome will no longer accept it. Don't expect Google to "fix" this, as it is not their problem. Netgear has apparently already stated that they won't be bothered to correct it (at least for D7000 V1 routers), so it looks like the only solution is to use Firefox or some other browser. I don't know whether they will follow suit. If they do, thank Netgear for their planned obsolescense. If the web interface quits working in other browsers, it looks like the only answer is to buy a new router. 

Message 41 of 82
FrankBough
Star

@michaelkenward Please stop replying if you have not even tried the firmware being discussed.

There are no special hoops to jump through to use the Ancistrus07 firmware, which fixes the problems discussed in the first post. It also fixes a few issues which caused instability and router freezes, which used to necessitate rebooting the router, those problems are also now history.

You use it the same as you would the official firmware. If you still have the official firmware installed, then obviously you cant use Chrome to go to 192.168.0.1 (because of the NULLs issue which Chrome blocks from loading), you will need to use Edge / Firefox / Internet Explorer, and then go to the Firmware Update section, and upload the firmware to the router the same as you would with the official .img file, only using the downloaded Ancistrus07 version instead.

And how can anyone use the official firmware / support anymore if Netgear has now said they no longer support this router ???. Yes they can use old firmware which is not fixed, but if anyone wants a fix Netgear official is useless now.

-------------------

@Everyone wanting a solution to the issues Netgear will not fix, you can trust the open source Ancistrus07 firmware which is based on the official firmware, and not only fixes the problems being discussed here, but also fixes issues which could randomly crash your router. It also updates security greatly by bringing various parts of the Linux OS which lives on your router up to date. And adds some new tools on the Ancistrus Tab which are very nice to have, which are not enabled by the official and buggy version of the firmware which Netgear used to supply.

Scroll down and read the description of the open source objectives here ..

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus

Have a look at all the fixes which have been done here ..

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed

Grab the firmware / check for further updates here ..

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/releases

Scroll down to the release "Assets", the latest at time of writing is #592

D7000-V1.0.1.70_1.0.1-ancistrus_negan07-build-592.zip

Once you have downloaded the zip, right click and extract / unzip it, and then inside the unzipped folder you will find an .img file.

Its this .img file that you direct your router to upload from your hard drive (wherever it was downloaded to and extracted)

After the router reboots with the new firmware installed, you will be able to go to 192.168.0.1 with Chrome because the NULLs issue is now fixed, you will not experience anymore occasional router freezes, and your router will be a lot more secure now that it benefits from all the work done by Ancistrus07

Also have a look at the wiki if you want more info on what has been enabled by Ancistrus07 as nice additions to the firmware ..

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/wiki/ancistrus-core-package

Dont go switching everything off (inhibiting) though if you do not understand what you are doing. You can seriously hobble your routers abilities, or make it less secure.

The Telnet option in Service Inhibitions is on the internal side, and not accessible from the WAN side of the router, but you can inhibit it if you do not intend to use it. By default its on.

I have personally been using build #552 since it was released, and now using build #592, and have had much better performance from my D7000v1 router, with no instability since.

Its also getting good comments from the people using it on Github, with no negative experiences.

Message 42 of 82
MehulNPatel
Tutor

Why Netgear has not done anything until now for a long time!!!???

It's high time Netgear dow something about this!!!

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 43 of 82
Bad_things
Aspirant

Solved:

If using windows 10 - use IE11, Edge or Firefox

If using something else, use anything other than Chrome

Alternateively, If you are willing to take the risk ... install the custom firmware mentioned in prior posts.

Message 44 of 82
Bad_things
Aspirant

See avove (since I cannot edelete duplicate posts)

Message 45 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

How are you able to replace firmware when cable internet provider, spectrum in my case, controls firmware on device even in the case where i bought and installed the device myself?

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 46 of 82
antinode
Guru

> How are you able to replace firmware when cable internet provider,
> [...]

Replacing the firmware on a DOCSIS modem(+router) may not be possible
(or, at least, practical), but the same problem afflicts non-DOCSIS
devices (DSL modem+router, plain-old router), for which alternative
firmware may be available.

One of the hazards of joining a discussion which began with a
different model is getting advice which may not apply to your device.

Message 47 of 82

@Retired_Member wrote:

How are you able to replace firmware when cable internet provider, spectrum in my case, controls firmware on device even in the case where i bought and installed the device myself?

You have joined in on a discussion in a section that deals with DSL modem/routers. If you have issues with a cable modem, you might get better replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section:

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 48 of 82
FrankBough
Star

@MehulNPatel wrote:

Why Netgear has not done anything until now for a long time!!!???

It's high time Netgear dow something about this!!!

Because NetGear regard this router D7000 model as "end of life" apparently.

Despite the fact you can still buy it off the shelves brand new at PC World / Currries in the UK at full price, it will not be getting any further support, which is a bit crap if you just bought one.

I dont think I would use any more NetGear firmware updates though even if they did, the open source firmware update by negan07 not only solves this problem, but also the occasional crash the D7000 can experience, and 39 other issues have all been nicely dealt with. The Ancistrus firmware (based on Netgears firmware) is stable.

Message 49 of 82
FrankBough
Star

@Bad_things 

@Bad_things wrote:

Alternateively, If you are willing to take the risk ... install the custom firmware mentioned in prior posts.

What risk are you talking about ?

Its an open source project, anyone in the world can examine the code changes which are comprehensively logged, and the updated software which has been sourced from Linux OS updated software (the same place NetGear gets theirs from before they customise it to use in their own router boxes) ..

.. Have you seen something which makes you wary of the fine work being done there ?

If not, stop talking rubbish and raising false alarms just because you dont trust what you do not understand.

You are implicating the project may not be trustworthy unnecessarily, and putting people off trying a better solution to all the firmware issues that NetGear so far have not solved.

Message 50 of 82
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7