Re: GOOGLE CHROME ERROR PAGE - DUE TO NULLS IN HEADER OF ROUTER SETTINGS PAGE

w3wilkes
Prodigy

@Bad_things wrote:

Solved:

If using windows 10 - use IE11, Edge or Firefox

If using something else, use anything other than Chrome

Alternateively, If you are willing to take the risk ... install the custom firmware mentioned in prior posts.

The new Edge which is being beta tested as we speak is based on Chromium so the Edge browser will no longer be usable with this router.

I don't see the risk of using open source firmware. It works, which is more than I can say for the firmware Netgear has been releasing over the past few years.

Message 51 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FrankBough are there instructions somewhere on how someone can get the custom open source netgear cable modem firmware image you mentioned [ https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/releases ] installed on a netgear c6300 modem + switch + wifi device? 

As far as i can tell the firmware is currently locked down and controlled by my spectrum internet connection provider. When i visit the http://routerlogin.com [ | http://routerlogin.net | http://192.168.0.1 ] administration UI there are no options i can see exposed for updating the firmware image myself.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 52 of 82

@Retired_Member wrote:

@FrankBough are there instructions somewhere on how someone can get this custom netgear cable modem firmware image installed on a c6300 modem +

If you sniff around the sites where they support third party firmware, you will probably find that Firmware on cable modems is outside the control of the user or of Netgear.

It is all locked down and updated by the Internet service provider.

The third-party firmware folks aren't even that keen to work on DSL modem-routers, even though they are not looked.

This is probably one reason why enthusiasts have separate modems and routers.

Message 53 of 82
FrankBough
Star

@Retired_Member wrote:

@FrankBough are there instructions somewhere on how someone can get the custom open source netgear cable modem firmware image you mentioned [ https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/releases ] installed on a netgear c6300 modem + switch + wifi device? 

As far as i can tell the firmware is currently locked down and controlled by my spectrum internet connection provider. When i visit the http://routerlogin.com [ | http://routerlogin.net | http://192.168.0.1 ] administration UI there are no options i can see exposed for updating the firmware image myself.

As Michael says. This topic is about :

D7000v1 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

(I think whoever started this topic was mistakenly under the impression they had v2, but in fact had a v1 D7000, because this issue is as far as I can determine only an issue for the v1)

Trying to install any Firmware for one device, into an entirely different modem / router type will at best just not work, at worst will turn your box into nothing more useful than a plastic brick / door stopper that you will be unable to reflash.

Even Modem / Routers which are the same family / newer version (say the D7000v2) also will probably make your Modem / Router dead as a dodo if you use this firmware.

Only install firmware on the exact device it is intended for.

Message 54 of 82
FrankBough
Star

@w3wilkes wrote:

The new Edge which is being beta tested as we speak is based on Chromium so the Edge browser will no longer be usable with this router.

I don't see the risk of using open source firmware. It works, which is more than I can say for the firmware Netgear has been releasing over the past few years.

Good point, so the initial update to get the open source firmware .img installed in the D7000v1 router would have to be done with either Internet Explorer, Firefox or .. I dont know what. Many browsers are now based on Chromium (Opera for instance) so they will all not be able to access the router admin pages with old firmware installed due to the NULLs.

At least the long term fall back people will always have Internet Explorer (On windows 10 click the Start menu and start typing its name, it will pop up for selection), Microsft have to keep that as part of windows installation because so many things depend on it being installed (Windows Updates for example need IE to still be installed, or at least parts of it like Dynamic Link Libraries). So even if EdgeChromium becomes the only visible Windows Browser, IE will still be there, just hidden by Microsoft so that their patchwork quilt of an operating system dependancies still function.

If MS ever can untangle windows from being dependant on having IE, and Firefox goes Chromium based, then whatever old Firmware you have installed in the D7000v1 .. you will be stuck with it, or more than likely by that time it will be time to buy a new router that isn't seriously out of date with regards to security.

Message 55 of 82
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all, engineering provided an update that a fix will be released but there is no ETA.

Dexter

Message 56 of 82
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Fyi, if one does a search on "microsoft build conference chromium edge internet explorer tab" you'll find recent news that the chromium based edge preview will get an internet explorer tab that can easily be started and used for backwards compatibility scenarios like this.  No more need to keep the internet explorer standalone or other non-chromium based install in place. 

The chromium edge insider download page, https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/, outlines that mac, ios and android versions will be made available but no insights as to whether or not internet explorer tab support will be available in those drops.

Message 57 of 82

Some while ago I found that I could no longer access the router via Chrome on my mobile phone (Nokia 8 running Android 9)

I did some research and found this page, I then installed Edge - Happy days I could access my router again.

Last night I tried to access it with Edge on my phone and it errored. As Edge is now using the Chrome engine that's no suprise.

I thus installed Firefox to allow me to re-gain access to my router.

Due to this BUG in the router interface we are gradually loosing the ability to administer our (otherwise excellent) routers.

PLEASE PLEASE fix this bug before Firefox closes the security loophole too...

/Mike Williams

A user on Netgear products since early 2000 (DG834G V1)

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 58 of 82

@MikeWilliams-UK wrote:

Some while ago I found that I could no longer access the router via Chrome on my mobile phone (Nokia 8 running Android 9)

I'm puzzled. I can still get in to the router controls using Google Chrome on a Samsung Android.

Older version of Android, I admit, but if it is Android 9 that has changed things, can Netgear do much to mend it?

Message 59 of 82
antinode
Guru

> Older version of Android, I admit, [...]

Thanks for the providing the actual version number(s).

> [...] but if it is Android 9 that has changed things, can Netgear do
> much to mend it?

If the problem is that Netgear firmware puts spurious NUL characters
into its HTML outout, and that newer web browsers do not tolerate these
spurious NUL characters, then Netgear could, if competent, correct their
firmware to remove these spurious NUL characters from its HTML output.

Duh.

Message 60 of 82

Netgear must ensure that their products are not in breach of latest best practices for network security.

Message 61 of 82

Just in case you don't know, there is an official way to run an ancient version of IE in a VM.

See https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

Download and install your VM Host platform supported by MS (See platform dropdown of above site).

At the time of writing this the list is

• VirtualBox
  • Vagrant
  • VMware (Windows, Mac)
  • HyperV (Windows)
  • Parallels (Mac)

I use VirtualBox.

Then download and install VM of your choice.

I would suggest "IE10 on Win7 (x86)"

This may help if all updated browsers start to refuse to allow Nulls in web pages, which they most probably will as this prohibition of Nulls is a security enhancement.

/Mike

Message 62 of 82

Just looked at the firmware version of my D7000 and it is at V1.0.1.70_1.0.1 (via FireFox for Android).
This version number is like the latest on the official Netgear download for the v1 of V1.0.1.70 so without looking at the label I am sure mine is a v1 model.
[The site offers version 1.0.0.53 for the V2 hardware.]
So it looks like I will have to download the version from GitHub to update my D7000 which at two years old is now unsupported. Not good enough Netgear. I will have to check if I am still in my guarantee period as I am feel that it ought to be fully supported during this period.

/Mike Williams
Message 63 of 82

@MikeWilliams-UK wrote:

So it looks like I will have to download the version from GitHub to update my D7000 which at two years old is now unsupported. Not good enough Netgear. I will have to check if I am still in my guarantee period as I am feel that it ought to be fully supported during this period.

Netgear continues to release firmware updates some time after it stops making and selling the devices concerned. It just takes time, especially for modem/router combinations. 

Message 64 of 82

Perhaps I was mistaken, but I got the impression from this forum that D7000 V1 was no longer supported by Netgear.

Message 65 of 82

@MikeWilliams-UK wrote:

Perhaps I was mistaken, but I got the impression from this forum that D7000 V1 was no longer supported by Netgear.

Hard to tell without any evidence. Sadly, some people hang around here mostly to dump on Netgear. You never know what fake news they promulgate.

There isn't the "EOL" flag on this product yet, and the latest firmware update was earlier this year, 01/04/2019.

Given Netgear's use of the USA's wonky dating system, that probably means 4 January rather than 1 April. Hardly fresh off the press but not much slower than Netgear's usual snail like pace.

As others have suggested, Netgear seems to have slowed down in its firmware update,  perhaps because it has had a spate of dodgy updates.

A more generous interpretation might be that there have been no new security issues that Netgear needs to fix. But believe that and you will believe anything.

As I said, modem/routers also seem to get less attention that routers. That's why experienced users prefer separate modems and routers. But the latest firmware for the DM200, my modem, is even older than that for the D7000 V1.

Message 66 of 82
xyzzy422
Guide

There was a message from Netgear L2 support earlier in the thread that they considered the D7000 V1 to be EOL and would not provide an update to fix this.

Unless you think someone made up a fake Netgear L2 support person to make fake message, Netgrear's official response was that the V1 is EOL and there will be no fix.

Maybe they'll change their mind.

Message 67 of 82

I have just downloaded the firmware zip file and as you can see by the screen grab when I view it on my phone it's definitely January
Message 68 of 82
Juanitito
Initiate

I don't want to take part in the pro/against Netgear debate. I liked their product enough to use two R7000 and a D7000. But I am very disappointed in the answer they gave.

When one of your not so old high-end router becomes unreachable by the dominant browser it is an issue you must address. The tech guy or assistance level 2 guy or whatever should shut up and call his supervisor right away, this is a business issue.

For God's sake, the solution is available open source! It must be fixed quickly.

Message 69 of 82
alcockell
Aspirant

Similar issue - I am able to get to router status - but when I try pinging through the router's diags page, I get a blank frame.  

I am using an ASUS C302 Chromebook with all updates.  Tried Firefox for Android... no joy

Chrome version is 75... I can still reboot the router - but diags are a bugger.. as well as if I tried to reconfig it...

Model: DGN2200|Wireless-N 300 Modem Router
Message 70 of 82
MehulNPatel
Tutor

@Retired_Member wrote:

There is an emerging issue for users of Google Chrome Browser

My NetGear Router D7000 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

If I try to access http://192.168.0.1/ using Chrome, Chrome gives an error page.

Accoding to Googles Chromium Developers, this issue can only be solved by NetGear, so for all routers which have this issue, they will need a firmware update to solve the problem of having Nulls in the Header of the Router Setup Pages

Before commenting, please read the following discussion at Chromium Issues :

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=929170

See also the linked Duplicate issue there.

Note the usual advice has all been tried, clearing cache etc.

If I use Microsoft Edge Browser logging in to my router is not a problem. I also temporarily installed the NetGear Genie and tried logging in to the router with that .. Again no issues.

But for however many people out there will be trying to login to similar routers with todays number 1 market share browser, Google Chrome, they will not be able to get access if they are running the latest Stable version of Chrome, v72 or later.

I guess not all router models will have such issues, unless they all have Nulls in their setup pages headers for some strange reason ?

But it looks like the Chromium devs are unwilling to undo this change, because Nulls can potentially cause issues.

Lastly :

How do we get someone within NetGear Development to take notice of this issue ???

Contacting someone in an appropriate department in NetGear seems to be an impossible task so far, I fired an email to sales@ with a note to pass it on to someone relevant, but I dont have high hopes of that working, and have not received any kind of response / acknowledgement.

Finally there is the update after all this while!!!???

New Firmware Version V1.0.1.74_1.0.1 is available @ https://kb.netgear.com/000061102/D7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-74.

And the problem is solved!!!

Message 71 of 82
FrankBough
Star

@MehulNPatel wrote:

Finally there is the update after all this while!!!???

New Firmware Version V1.0.1.74_1.0.1 is available @ https://kb.netgear.com/000061102/D7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-74.

And the problem is solved!!!

Glad to hear they updated the firmware, however :

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/releases

Build #552 (Original fix for the NULL issue) Release notes =

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/releases/tag/552

Build #592 (With even more security and bug fixes) Release notes =

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/releases/tag/592

Have a good read of those release notes

Then read the release notes from NetGear of their latest effort =

https://kb.netgear.com/000061102/D7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-74

NO SECURITY FIXES LISTED

Is all they changed the NULL issue ??? - 

Had to chuckle at the Release notes page "Was this article helpfull" - Hell no!

7 people at time of writing have clicked yes O_o

I think I will stick with the Open Source Negan07 Ancistrus firmware #592

Its inspires a lot more confidence purely with the detailled fix reports and open source logging of every change, it has kept us safe with all the emerging security issues since the NULL issue was found out, and another little detail which was really bugging me with the previous Official Netgear firmware (and all previous updates prior to their latest) was that the router would occasionally (on average once every couple of weeks) crash and need a reboot to get it working again.

I have not once experienced that issue with any of the Negan07 Ancistrus firmware updates.

I think I will wait for an Ancistrus update that includes 1.0.1.74_1.0.1 as its base build, with no release notes especially on the security front for the official NetGear version, I have more faith in the open source version of the firmware to keep my family safe.

Message 72 of 82
sgman0997
Aspirant

I have utilized several iterations of the netgear genie over the last 5 years. while I would prefer using an app over routerlogin.net, the app has always lacked some features found using the login.net method.

As noted by other users here, if chrome has made updates that are not compatible with netgear routers, how long until other browsers follow suit? It appears that Netgear has not made the decision to move entirely to the app and as such, many users are stuck using work arounds.

Message 73 of 82
Painfull9
Initiate

This issue seems to be fixed now in Firmware V1.0.1.74_1.0.1

Downloaded it this morning after reading through about 2% of this discussion, then checking to see if there was a firmware update available... and there was 🙂 Chrome accepted a raw input of "192.168.0.1" and went straight to login prompt like any other browser 😉

Enojy!

P.

Message 74 of 82
FrankBough
Star

@Painfull9 wrote:

This issue seems to be fixed now in Firmware V1.0.1.74_1.0.1

Downloaded it this morning after reading through about 2% of this discussion, then checking to see if there was a firmware update available... and there was 🙂 Chrome accepted a raw input of "192.168.0.1" and went straight to login prompt like any other browser 😉

Enojy!

P.

Yep, and negan07 has released a new version of the Ancistrus firmware for D7000 v1, based on the latest from NetGears update :

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/releases

Build #605 is working fine on my router, and adds a few more updates to core packages from the linux updates which NetGear hasn't (aswell as fixing the null issue).

Occasionally I used to have to reboot the router with the official firmware updates, it would randomly lose connectivity .. Never experienced that with negan07's firmware updates.

Message 75 of 82
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7