Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Having To Reconnect and Restart D7000 AC1900 every day

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Having To Reconnect and Restart D7000 AC1900 every day

I've been having exactly the same issue as posted here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000-DNS-Issues-Needs-a-reboot-every-day/td-p/1...

but unfortunately that seems to be closed, so I can't find out if or how it was resolved.

If I reconnect my DGND3700 through the old BT modem, it works flawlessly, as it has for years. When I connect up the D7000 it is always a struggle to get it to connect - even with the correct settings and it only finally connects after many restarts (or rebooting from within the admin control panel). The settings are correct - I have checked with my ISP item by item over the phone, though I've been using Netgear for 15 years and know what my settings should be. I also change nothing between finding it has disconnected and when it finally does connect.

I did get a message about a DNS error on two occasions.

I have my settings backed up, but am reluctant to attach that file as I don't want it publicly available - please advise.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Having To Reconnect and Restart D7000 AC1900 every day

I have started a return to Amazon, but I've got a couple of weeks, so would prefer to sort it out.

Message 2 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] D7000 [...]

D7000[v1] or D7000v2?  Firmware version?

> I've been having exactly the same issue as posted here: [...]

I see no useful information there, either.

> I have my settings backed up, but am reluctant to attach that file as
> I don't want it publicly available [...]

I wouldn't expect that to help, even if you wanted to provide it.

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Goodbye

Message 4 of 5

@Retired_Member wrote:

If I reconnect my DGND3700 through the old BT modem, it works flawlessly, as it has for years.

This does not make sense. The DGND3700 and D7000 are modem/routers. The DGND3700 is for ADSL while the D7000 also does VDSL.

If you want to use your D7000 is a modem/router, you should not connect it through the BT modem.

This all depends on what your are getting from your Internet service provider. (BT?) If you are on VDSL, then the D7000 will work without the BT box.

Is that BT box Homehub ? That useless device is best filed away in the most suitable place, a recycling tip.

If you are putting the D7000 behind the BT modem/router, that would explain the errors that you see. You have two modems and two routers on the network. That is a recipe for chaos.

Perhaps you have the DGND3700 set up in access point mode. It certainly isn't much use as a VDSL modem. If this is the dreaded Homehub, you can't even disable its router and use it in modem-only mode. That rules out using the DGND3700 or the D7000 as routers.

You can use the D7000 as an access point, but that seems to be a bit pointless.

Apologies for going on, but your first message lacks to much essential information that we have to guess about what is happening at your end.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7