Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hidden menu for D6400 firewall rules?

Rendili
Aspirant

Hidden menu for D6400 firewall rules?

Hello,

I have just bought a D6400 and all so far has gone well with replacing my existing ISP router, but i would like to start adding some firewall rules, but i cant find the a firewall menu.

Is there a hidden advanced menu to enable access to a firewalls menu section?

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Hidden menu for D6400 firewall rules?

Hello Rendili

yes for all Ideas for product post them in the Community Idea exchange board you can find it here.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Page 130 onward

Message 2 of 9
Rendili
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply and link to the online manual, this will be handy

I have looked through that manual section and this does not really show any real firewall rule section in the router where you can define source IP(s) & port(s), target IP(s) & port(s) and whether to drop / reject or allow the traffic. I was hoping this router would have something like this, it appears that other models in this range have a firewall section.

Really the first thing i would like to do is assign a few internal IP addresses (that i have assigned as static IP addresses) to the guest network so that they can only access the internet and not allowed any traffic to and from other devices internally. They are wired devices so i cant use the wireless guest network, but all i would like is to add them to this, but from a wired source not wireless.

Message 3 of 9
grmb
Aspirant

I am in the same situation. It is impossible to "hide" the ports of my LAN from the outside world. When I examine all service ports with ShieldsUP! for example, the ports through which my IPcams communicate are found wide open!

In my old 834GT it was possible to use a firewall to "hide" these ports... What a progress!

Message 4 of 9
Rendili
Aspirant

Yes i agree, it seems a backward step not to have a firewall section on a modern router for those than know what they are doing to be able to set some firewall rules themselves.

My last non ISP router was a 12 year Dlink cable router which had a firewall section where you could define rules, i just assumed that a brand new, not the cheapest, router would have at least the features my old 12 year old router had.

I am close to taking this router back and going for another router which has firewall rules.

At this stage all i really want to do at the moment is set 3 IP addresses which connect via a wired connection to not have any access to the internal LAN or any of the devices, the same as a device connecting on the Guest Wifi would have.

Message 5 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Rendili

Yea the D6400 may not be what you are looking for but here is the link to the manual for the D7000 and on page 130 goes over the same stuff may want to take a look to see if thats what you are needing.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D7000/D7000_UM_EN.pdf

DarrenM

Message 6 of 9
Rendili
Aspirant

Hello DarrenM

Thank you very much for your reply.

You are right, the D7000 goes over pretty much the same stuff as the D6400.

It would be great to have a full firewall menu to be able to define Source IP addresses and ports, target IP addresses and ports and whether to drop, reject or allow.

The D6200 manual (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D6200/D6200_UM_17Sept2014.pdf) has something towards this, but i am not sure if it is a full implementation of it looking at the menu without playing with the router. Its a little odd that a lower spec router may have a full implementation of user defined firewall rules.

Do you know if there is such a possibility of making a feature request to NetGear?

Thanks again

Message 7 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Rendili

yes for all Ideas for product post them in the Community Idea exchange board you can find it here.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

DarrenM

Message 8 of 9
Rendili
Aspirant

great, thanks DarrenM

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7