Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I make a web server on my LAN running behind DGND3700 visible on the web?

timeshift
Aspirant

How do I make a web server on my LAN running behind DGND3700 visible on the web?

How do I make a web server on my private LAN running behind DGND3700 visible on the internet? My old 2wire gateway from AT&T works just fine doing this, but the DGND3700 blocks all external access to my internal web site. I am using DHCP, with a fixed local IP address of my server. This one is a Windows 2008 server, running DNS as well. The servers gets the correct IP4 address from the router.

I have tried DMZ, port forwarding of 80 and 53 (DNS), with no luck. I found the similar article for the RT311 and RT314, and thought that the DGND3700 might have the same problem. If I do a DNS lookup in the router pages of my url, this fails.

I really need some help here.
Message 1 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: How do I make a web server on my LAN running behind DGND3700 visible on the web?

test with different port# other than 80
Message 2 of 22
timeshift
Aspirant

Well, when my website is selected from external browsers, the http request comes at port 80. I thought that was a known fact, and cannot be changed. As far as I know, the router will recieve external http request at port 80, and those requests need to routed to my server. If I change my web site to use eg. port 8080, then I have broken extenal access to my web site. I can not accept that external people in their browsers type "www.myweb.com:8080".

Or maybe I did not fully understood what you mean.
Message 3 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I said to TEST 🙂
Message 4 of 22
timeshift
Aspirant

For a test, I changed my ISS website to use port 81. I tested that with my 2wire router, and that worked like it should, when I in the browser enter "www.mysite.com:81".

On the NetGear router, I did several trial and errors: enabling DMZ, Nat filtering open, port forwarding of port 81 instead of 80. Same result, when entering "www.mysite.com:81" in a browser, this fails.

That looks to me, that nothing is forwarded to the server.
Message 5 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

are you testing any of these OUTSIDE your network?

on netgear router , it will NOT support loopback of 97% devices so testing behind the router will FAIL
Message 6 of 22
timeshift
Aspirant

I was testing from inside. Now I just tested from outside, using my smart phone, typing in "www.mysite.com:81". That failed too.

On the 2wire router, the magic to get it all to work was to specify DMZ for the local server IP. That seems not to do a thing on the NetGear router.
Message 7 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

while you have ports open you are not using DMZ correct? you do not want to use at same time pointing to same lan ip
Message 8 of 22
fordem
Mentor

timeshift wrote:
Well, when my website is selected from external browsers, the http request comes at port 80. I thought that was a known fact, and cannot be changed. As far as I know, the router will recieve external http request at port 80, and those requests need to routed to my server. If I change my web site to use eg. port 8080, then I have broken extenal access to my web site. I can not accept that external people in their browsers type "www.myweb.com:8080".

Or maybe I did not fully understood what you mean.

It's not that it cannot be changed - it's that you don't want to change it - this is evidenced by the fact that you mention lower down in the post using port 8080.

What you are probably unaware of, is that you can do a port redirect using the DNS server, so that your users do not have to enter the port number.
Message 9 of 22
fordem
Mentor

timeshift wrote:
How do I make a web server on my private LAN running behind DGND3700 visible on the internet? My old 2wire gateway from AT&T works just fine doing this, but the DGND3700 blocks all external access to my internal web site. I am using DHCP, with a fixed local IP address of my server. This one is a Windows 2008 server, running DNS as well. The servers gets the correct IP4 address from the router.

I have tried DMZ, port forwarding of 80 and 53 (DNS), with no luck. I found the similar article for the RT311 and RT314, and thought that the DGND3700 might have the same problem. If I do a DNS lookup in the router pages of my url, this fails.

I really need some help here.

What does this mean? I know how to a DNS lookup - but what is a DNS lookup in a router page?

If a DNS lookup of your URL fails, that would be one reason why your web server would be unreachable.

The other thing that I find odd is that you say you have a fixed local ip of your server and then the server gets the correct IP4 address from the router.

What "correct IP4 address" would the server be getting from the router if it has a fixed ip address - if the server gets it's ip address from the router that would be dynamic addressing, not fixed.
Message 10 of 22
timeshift
Aspirant

The following is for the DGND3700 Router Manager web pages:

Under "LAN Setup", I have entered an "Address reservation" as 192.164.0.64, specifying the MAC address of the server. The router has the checkbox "Use router as DHCP Server" checked. On the server, I use "ipconfig /all" to view the given IP address by the router. This IP address is 192.164.0.64. My DNS records on the server contains this IP address! Keep in mind, all this works when I use my older 2wire router.

On the "WAN Setup" page, I have now checked "Default DMZ Server", specifying the IP address 192.164.0.64.

On the "Port Forwarding / Port Triggering" page, I have now deleted all my entries for port forwarding and port triggering.

On the "Diagnostics" page, if I enter as "Internet Name" for the "Perform a DNS Lookup" my url www.mysite.com" this fails.

Before my final test, I power off/on the router. Checks that all the setting still are as described above. Then I use my smart phone to enter "www.mysite.com:81". And this still fails.
Message 11 of 22
Ryster
Tutor

It's not a fundemental problem with the router. I host a webserver here and my DGND3700 port forwards port 80 (and others) just fine.

Perhaps you've just got a faulty router?
Message 12 of 22
timeshift
Aspirant

Maybe then you can answer these questions for me?

1. Do you use the routers DHCP?

2. If so, does your webserver obtain its IP address automatically?

3. Does you webserver provide DNS for you, i.e. have you used the DNS Manager?

4. If so, can you in a local browser enter your sites url, and then see your web page?

5. Are you using DMZ or just forwarding ports? If the latter, which ports do you forward?

Thanks,
Message 13 of 22
fordem
Mentor

timeshift wrote:
The following is for the DGND3700 Router Manager web pages:

Under "LAN Setup", I have entered an "Address reservation" as 192.164.0.64, specifying the MAC address of the server. The router has the checkbox "Use router as DHCP Server" checked. On the server, I use "ipconfig /all" to view the given IP address by the router. This IP address is 192.164.0.64. My DNS records on the server contains this IP address! Keep in mind, all this works when I use my older 2wire router.

On the "WAN Setup" page, I have now checked "Default DMZ Server", specifying the IP address 192.164.0.64.

On the "Port Forwarding / Port Triggering" page, I have now deleted all my entries for port forwarding and port triggering.

On the "Diagnostics" page, if I enter as "Internet Name" for the "Perform a DNS Lookup" my url www.mysite.com" this fails.

Before my final test, I power off/on the router. Checks that all the setting still are as described above. Then I use my smart phone to enter "www.mysite.com:81". And this still fails.

If you follow the steps you have outlined here - IT WILL FAIL.

It will fail because ...

1 - you have nothing at 192.168.0.64:81 to respond (nothing in the steps you have outlined indicates that you have a webserver listening on port 81)

2 - there is no way your phone can resolve "www.mysite.com" to your public ip - as evidenced by the fact that a DNS lookup done earlier failed.

I believe I have already pointed out that you need to fix the DNS resolution problem as a first step. You have not told us if you have a domain registered or how you expect DNS resolution to work - and it doesn't matter what router you are using unless you have configured some sort of dynamic DNS in the router.
Message 14 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

just to point out , OP do not have issues on 2wire DSL/gateway uni... 🙂
Message 15 of 22
fordem
Mentor

timeshift wrote:

4. If so, can you in a local browser enter your sites url, and then see your web page?

5. Are you using DMZ or just forwarding ports? If the latter, which ports do you forward?

Thanks,

I believe there is something completely out of whack with what you're telling us.

You say you're running Windows Server 2008 and using it as a DNS server - BUT - you claim you're using DHCP reservation in the router to assign an ip address to the server.

Unless I am very much mistaken Windows will NOT allow you to run a DNS server unless the sever has a static ip address.

You need to verify exactly what it is you have setup.
Message 16 of 22
timeshift
Aspirant

You are wrong, look at posting #5. I have changed the port for my website on the server using ISS to 81. And I tested that first on my 2wire router, and using my smartphone to enter the url "www.mysite.com:81". And that worked!

Which means that my DSN configuration on my server works, and this have been working for years now. I use cheapdomains.com to "host" my dns and my static wan IP. If my DNS was not working, then I would not be able to type in my url at my smartphone and get my web page.
Message 17 of 22
timeshift
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
I believe there is something completely out of whack with what you're telling us.

You say you're running Windows Server 2008 and using it as a DNS server - BUT - you claim you're using DHCP reservation in the router to assign an ip address to the server.

Unless I am very much mistaken Windows will NOT allow you to run a DNS server unless the sever has a static ip address.

You need to verify exactly what it is you have setup.

As I said, in the router, under "LAN Setup", I have entered an "Address reservation" as 192.164.0.64, specifying the MAC address of the server. The router has the checkbox "Use router as DHCP Server" checked. The router will then give this IP to the server, and it does! On the server, I use "ipconfig /all" to view the given IP address by the router. This IP address is 192.164.0.64. The DNS setup on the server does not care whether the server gets its IP from the router or it is static entered for the server, AS LONG IT IS THE SAME IP used in the local DNS files on the server. This has been working for years with the 2wire router.
Message 18 of 22
fordem
Mentor

OK so I missed post #5 - you did change the port.

You still have a problem with DNS resolution - if you have a static address and a domain registered - it should resolve regardless of what router is used.

I should be able to resolve your URL to the appropriate ip - the router you're using does not affect that.

As for the Windows stuff - I'm not going to pull down my W2K8 server to verify what you say - I'll just state you're not using Microsoft's best practice and leave it at that.
Message 19 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You still have a problem with DNS resolution - if you have a static address and a domain registered - it should resolve regardless of what router is used.

this is true but there is some home end router continue to fail port forwarding is seen in the past.

Ryster states...
It's not a fundemental problem with the router. I host a webserver here and my DGND3700 port forwards port 80 (and others) just fine.

could be possible some firmware corruption could be if someone can get it work and 2wire worked before.
Message 20 of 22
timeshift
Aspirant

Ryster wrote:

Thanks,
Message 21 of 22
theTechman05
Aspirant

You sholuld be able to use your routers dhcp as long as your not expecting ip6, you just may need to fill in the port forwarding manualy. I can remember a competitor having a lot more presets for forwarding.

My nas I have set to static since as a primary reason I have to use ip address to reach it over wireless. If i didn't each time it woke up I'd have to reset the connections.

Unless you have a static ip address your going to need to use something like dynamic dns so that people can continuously get to you site/server.

If you use your server for dns, thats more for internal to make your business set thing the way they want. Maybe your an isp?

Port forwarding is there so you don't have to poke a single hole in your network. as far as I know dmz lets that one pc out , so you'd fudge the rest on your network.
---I don't know the ports off the top of my head but a quick Google search should say what ports your server flavor work on .
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7