Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to set d7800 to use my mobile phone hot spot

alex4orly
Aspirant

How to set d7800 to use my mobile phone hot spot

My Internet Service provider has a scheduled service maintenance and my Internet will be disabled for a while.

How can I configure the router to use my Android Mobile phone data quota instead, so as to enable all my home devices to continue and operate.

Thanks

Alex

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
alex4orly
Aspirant

Re: How to set d7800 to use my mobile phone hot spot

As I said earlier, I decided to drop the idea

Thanks again

Alex

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

to use a mobile hotspot, the router would need to support WISP mode. The D7800 doesn't. 

If you have a few devices you need to support, just set your phone hotspot with the same ssid/password as the router. Then turn the router off when the network goes down. The devices should auto-connect to your phone. 

Message 2 of 11
alex4orly
Aspirant

I tried the idea.

1) I am using a Samsung Galaxy S9 mobile phone
2) I changed the name of the device in "About Phone" to NETGEAR85 which is the same as may Netgear router
3) In Setup->Wifi->Connections->Mobile HotSpot and Tethering I changed it to NETGEAR85 and turned it ON
4) I turned OFF my router to emulate and ISP drop out

My Desktop pc found the network and connected
My Harmony hub, found it
My LG TV didn't
My Sonos Music setup didn't find it either (The Sonos App on my phone)

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Alex
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

Maybe the phone only supports so many device? 

Maybe the tv/sonos need to have their wifi connection "forgotten" and then reconnected. 

Message 4 of 11
alex4orly
Aspirant

Well, thanks again for the feedback, 

My main question here is - should I use the Tethering function or is there another way? On my Galaxy S9 there is an option "More Connection settings", in there - Nearby device scanning is ON and I am using Express VPN in the house - should that be turned OFF?  On that same screen - Private DNS is OFF

At the time of writing, I have 3 devices using the Internet data on my Galaxy S9, the desktop machine, a Galaxy Tablet, an old Galaxy s5 phone.

I installed the Sonos app on the old Galaxy S5, it was never installed on this device, but the app fails to find it. I tried reseting (forgetting) one of the Sonos speakers, but no luck

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Alex

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

1. you *can't* tether the phone to the router.     ***-might be possible but you'd need wisp mode which the D7800 doesn't support in stock form. Openwrt supports wisp mode and has a version of firmware for the d7800. but you won't find support here. you'd have to go to the openwrt forum. 

2. if you're using hotspot and having issues, contact the phone support for that device. They'd know more about their device limitations/usage than we would. 

Message 6 of 11
alex4orly
Aspirant

OK, wht is Openwrt ? Will it cause a problem on my D7800? Otherwise?

Cheers

Alex

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

Openwrt is 3rd party firmware. It can sometimes cause issues or even brick your device if installed wrong. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenWrt

https://openwrt.org/

Again, its 3rd party firmware. It'd basically like putting an aftermarket motor in your car. it voids the warranty as well as you'd have to go to the openwrt forum for support. 

Message 8 of 11
alex4orly
Aspirant

thannks again for your ongoing feedback,

I think I will give up on that, I prefer to stay with the original setup and not open myself to a can of worms....

Merry Christmas

Alex

Message 9 of 11

@plemans wrote:

Openwrt is 3rd party firmware. It can sometimes cause issues or even brick your device if installed wrong. 

Openwrt  is also limited to the devices that get the treatment. There is usually alternative firmware for popular routers, but modem/routers are not always on the roster.

Message 10 of 11
alex4orly
Aspirant

As I said earlier, I decided to drop the idea

Thanks again

Alex

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos