Reply

Re: I need a DSL Modem Router

ghmann
Aspirant

I need a DSL Modem Router

I am having the hardest time finding a good Netgear DSL modem router. Do they even make them any more?  I currently have A DGND3700 N600, but it is pretty old.  I need something compatible with Centurylink ADSL.  I've Googled and really can't come up with anything. Tried Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, and even the Netgear.com web site.  Plenty of cable modems out there, but DSL modem routers all seem to be older, outdated models. I get 6 mbps download speeds with Centurylink and have 3 or 4 devices on my net.

 

Can anyone recommend a good one and where to buy it. 

Model: DGND3700|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
tominwi
Luminary

Re: I need a DSL Modem Router

It seems the DGND3700 has everything you need, such that unless/until CenturyLink upgrades their service to you w/e.g. VDSL then you may as well stick with the 3700. But w3wilkes had a great idea, and if you flash the 3700 with the 3rd party firmware it just might feel like a new router to you!

ReadyNAS NV+v1 RAIDiator 4.1.16
D7000v1 v1.0.1.74ancistrus VDSL2 Router
R6700v2 v1.2.0.62_1.0.1 in Bridge w/D7K's 5G

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
antinode
Guru

Re: I need a DSL Modem Router

> [...] DSL modem routers all seem to be older, outdated models. [...]

 

   Like ADSL itself?

 

   I've been mostly satisfied with the D7000[v1].  Special characters in
the PPP password might need special handling, but otherwise it works for
me.  I got mine on Ebay (for about $70) a couple of years ago.

 

> Can anyone recommend a good one and where to buy it.

 

   Define "a good one".  What does CenturyLink offer now?  Look for one
of those on Ebay?


   Back in 2015, on (faulty) advice from Netgear pre-sales support, I
tried to use a DGND3700v2 (with "Firmware Version 1.1.00.17 (for North
America)".  I had no trouble with its DSL performance, which was better
than I had been getting with my (much older) Cisco 678 on a 7Mb/s line.
Its port-forwarding features were too primitive for me (always same
external and internal ports), so I soon put it into the
use-only-if-desperate pile, and switched to a DGN2200v4, which had
poorer wireless features, but less lame port forwarding (and a different
set of firmware bugs, which vary with version).  The D7000[v1] has
fancier wireless than the DGN2200v4.

Message 2 of 11
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: I need a DSL Modem Router

I use a DGND3700v1 on Centurylink ADSL and am very pleased with it now that I've found 3rd party firmware that adds reliability and function to this device. I also have another DGND3700v1 on Centurylink VDSL. VDSL function on the DGND3700v1 is only available using the 3rd party firmware from Richud mentioned in this thread I've linked to.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/New-firmware-with-built-in-Torrent-Client/td-p/4...

One thing you need to be aware of with Centurylink is some of their offerings use pair bonding which no Netgear devices support so if your connection is a pair bonded connection you'll have to use another vendors device.

D7000v2 / DGND3700v1
Message 3 of 11

Re: I need a DSL Modem Router


@ghmann wrote:

I am having the hardest time finding a good Netgear DSL modem router. Do they even make them any more? 

 

Yes:

 

DSL Modems | DSL Routers | NETGEAR

 

but there hasn't been anything new for some time.

 

To see how "active" Netgear is with these things, look at the latest firmware and that date of the "release notes".

 

My D6400 – "Last Updated:06/28/2019" which is 28-06-2019 in sane world nomenclature  – worked fine until I decided that it is better to have a separate modem (DM200) and router. The DM200 is inexpensive and lets me slap any router I like behind it, including fancy Orbi stuff.

 


@ghmann wrote:

I get 6 mbps download speeds with Centurylink and have 3 or 4 devices on my net.

 

Can anyone recommend a good one and where to buy it. 


What problem are you trying to fix?

 

I doubt of anything newer will improve your Internet speed.

 

You can get faster wifi on newer devices, but at that Internet speed, you probably won't notice.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 11
tominwi
Luminary

Re: I need a DSL Modem Router

It seems the DGND3700 has everything you need, such that unless/until CenturyLink upgrades their service to you w/e.g. VDSL then you may as well stick with the 3700. But w3wilkes had a great idea, and if you flash the 3700 with the 3rd party firmware it just might feel like a new router to you!

ReadyNAS NV+v1 RAIDiator 4.1.16
D7000v1 v1.0.1.74ancistrus VDSL2 Router
R6700v2 v1.2.0.62_1.0.1 in Bridge w/D7K's 5G

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11
ghmann
Aspirant

Re: I need a DSL Modem Router


@w3wilkes wrote:

I use a DGND3700v1 on Centurylink ADSL and am very pleased with it now that I've found 3rd party firmware that adds reliability and function to this device. I also have another DGND3700v1 on Centurylink VDSL. VDSL function on the DGND3700v1 is only available using the 3rd party firmware from Richud mentioned in this thread I've linked to.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/New-firmware-with-built-in-Torrent-Client/td-p/4...

One thing you need to be aware of with Centurylink is some of their offerings use pair bonding which no Netgear devices support so if your connection is a pair bonded connection you'll have to use another vendors device.


Thanks. I will look into the DGND3700v1.  I have used Netgear modem routers before and they do work with my Centurylink.  Turns out that is what I am using now.  A Netgear N600 Model DGND3700.  It works okay for now, but I'm getting a long round trip time of around 90ms, and I seem to have to reboot every few days.  I like to keep a spare modem/router on hand in case the current one craps out.  I got several years use out of CenturyLink's PK5001A router before it went belly up.  Rarely had to reboot it and delay ms and round trip ms were good. I'm hoping to stay with Netgear mainly because I like the Netgear Genie.

Message 6 of 11
ghmann
Aspirant

Re: I need a DSL Modem Router


@w3wilkes wrote:

I use a DGND3700v1 on Centurylink ADSL and am very pleased with it now that I've found 3rd party firmware that adds reliability and function to this device. I also have another DGND3700v1 on Centurylink VDSL. VDSL function on the DGND3700v1 is only available using the 3rd party firmware from Richud mentioned in this thread I've linked to.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/New-firmware-with-built-in-Torrent-Client/td-p/4...

Just wanted to add, I looked at the above link. I think that may be a tad bit above my technical abilites. Smiley Happy


 

Message 7 of 11

Re: I need a DSL Modem Router


@ghmann wrote:


I will look into the DGND3700v1.  I have used Netgear modem routers before and they do work with my Centurylink.  Turns out that is what I am using now.  A Netgear N600 Model DGND3700. 

 The DGND3700, if that is what you have now, is the DGND3700v1

 

The V numbers come in after the initial version. So, V2 comes after V1.

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 11
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: I need a DSL Modem Router


@michaelkenward wrote: The DGND3700, if that is what you have now, is the DGND3700v1

 

The V numbers come in after the initial version. So, V2 comes after V1.

 

 


It should also be noted that the DGND3700 (V1) has no V, only the V2 has a V number.

D7000v2 / DGND3700v1
Message 9 of 11
ghmann
Aspirant

Re: I need a DSL Modem Router


@michaelkenward wrote:

@ghmann wrote:


I will look into the DGND3700v1.  I have used Netgear modem routers before and they do work with my Centurylink.  Turns out that is what I am using now.  A Netgear N600 Model DGND3700. 

 The DGND3700, if that is what you have now, is the DGND3700v1

 

The V numbers come in after the initial version. So, V2 comes after V1.

 

 


Thanks, I wondered if the 3700 was the same as the 3700v1, as there is no v1 designation on the box. 

Message 10 of 11
antinode
Guru

Re: I need a DSL Modem Router

> It should also be noted that the DGND3700 (V1) has no V, only the V2
> has a V number.

 

   Not explicitly, in most cases.


> [...] there is no v1 designation on the box.

 

   What _is_ on the box?  In a part number like, say, "DGN2200-100NAS",
the "-1" implies "v1".

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2739 views
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements